Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NIKKOR-UD Auto 20mm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: NIKKOR-UD Auto 20mm f/3.5 Reply with quote

Some samples taken from this lens:

www.orio.ws/temp/Nikkor-UD_20mm3.5/index.html
I added perfromance comments/info at the foot of each image.

I had to use it on the 400D because it features the same protruding back part that is present on the older 24mm and 28mm f/2, so it can not be mounted as is on the 5D.
Tomorrow I will ground it down with sandpaper.

The lens overall seems good enough. It's not mind blowingly sharp, but still a bit sharper than the Flek 20mm.
Distortion wise is not clean as the Flek, but not bad at all either, just some slight barreling that will pass unnoticed in most pictures.
Stopped down the detail is good - I'd say normal good in distant images and very good in close-ups.
In fact, I have found that the close-up performance of this lens is it's strongest point - or at least, it is for my own copy.
Colours are not ideally saturated, but are neutral, and not warm like many other Nikkors. This is very good because the lens can integrate painlessly within a non-Nikkor setup.

Overall I judge it a very sensible purchase for the money I spent for it (131 EUros), but sincerely speaking I don't know if I would spend the 200 or more Euros this lens is usually sold for.
I think that after all, the Flek 4/20 remains a preferable purchase, but the nice thing about this Nikkor is that it sort of integrates with the Flek, as it's stronger where the Flek is weaker (sharpness, closeups), while the Flek is stronger where this lens is weaker (colours, distortion).
-

Last edited by Orio on Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wait for this review pretty much, might help to decide should I keep my lens or sell it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I wait for this review pretty much, might help to decide should I keep my lens or sell it. Thanks!

I will try it with the 5D in the next days. You might want to wait for that.
As you can see I did not comment on any edge performance here, as it's a 400D test.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you this lens was so great performer on my Olympus E-1 , but I have a chance to take a 20mm f2.8 AIS what is will works on my Nikon FA too. So I am hesitating what should I do.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If rainy days will allow, of course Sad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Thank you this lens was so great performer on my Olympus E-1 , but I have a chance to take a 20mm f2.8 AIS what is will works on my Nikon FA too. So I am hesitating what should I do.

Well, I can not compare with that other Nikkor, so it's difficult to give advice for me. But overall this UD looks like a good lens, but not an unforgettable lens, if you know what I mean - so if that other lens can give you more compatibility with your cameras, i would perhaps go for that one. I don't think that the difference will be much.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,me too. Especially if we look how many times I use wide angle lenses Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-album has scrambled up the order of my images, so 100% crop details that should have followed the whole images, are now at the end of the gallery. Sorry for that.
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uploaded 20mm 2.8 AIS shots to the gallery. I like the 3.5 UD but I think the 2.8 AIS is the better performer - the 3.5 reminds me of the 20mm AFD 2.8 very competent but not a lens to love. It's tricky - 20mm lenses will always be difficult to produce well, it's at the extremes of rectilinear design capability.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really good sound ! Thanks !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the subdued saturation. The images are very entertaining, giving me a glimpse into a world that I do not know.

I think that the lens and camera combination has certainly provided good shadow detail renditions.

Thank you for the visual review, Orio!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Laurence.
Trioplan and Industar-50-2 samples are coming soon - taken same place, same day (and same blah weather Sad )

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio for the nice review and for the great pictures. You are lucky to live in such a beautiful place.

I have a modern Pentax FA 20/2.8 lens and an older Super-Takumar 20/4.5. Both are nice lenses, the 20/2.8 having a "modern" look, more contrasty and sharper. The old 20/4.5 has a softer rendering with nicer colors, but it flares very easily, as it doesn't have the better SMC coating. Both lenses exhibit quite a bit of distortion.

As 20mm is a very useful focal length both on my crop format Pentax K10d and on my full frame Canon 1DS, I am thinking of acquiring either the Nikkor-UD or the Flektogon 20/4. Both seem to be good lenses with different strengths -- I thought that maybe the Fektogon would be more useful to me because it would complement nicely my existing Pentax lenses, but your review made me want the Nikkor as well. I guess I will buy the first lens I stumble upon that is available for a good price.

Cheers,

Abbazz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
I thought that maybe the Fektogon would be more useful to me because it would complement nicely my existing Pentax lenses, but your review made me want the Nikkor as well. I guess I will buy the first lens I stumble upon that is available for a good price.

I think the Flektogon is a better buy.

BTW thanks for the kind words Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio - I've just had another look at your pictures and the UD's performance is definitely better than the 20mm AFD. Close performance on the AFD isn't a patch on either the UD or the AIS. I'd be interested to see shots on a sunny day (if you get one!) to see flare/ghosting resistance and CA on high contrast areas.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
Orio - I've just had another look at your pictures and the UD's performance is definitely better than the 20mm AFD. Close performance on the AFD isn't a patch on either the UD or the AIS. I'd be interested to see shots on a sunny day (if you get one!) to see flare/ghosting resistance and CA on high contrast areas.

You might have to wait for a while for sunny day test Evil or Very Mad
Anyway yes, closeup performance on this lens seems really good. I don't have other 20mm Nikkors to compare with, but this one is good on absolute terms.

-