Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor-UD 20mm f/3.5 on the 5D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Nikkor-UD 20mm f/3.5 on the 5D Reply with quote

Attila was curious about the performance of the UD 20mm on the 5D camera.
Here's a couple of sample shots from today:
Wide open:

At f/11:

The above small images are just for reference, here's the links to the full files not sharpened:
Wide open:
www.orio.ws/temp/nikkorud35-20-wo.jpg
At f/11:
www.orio.ws/temp/nikkorud35-20-f11.jpg

Both test images were taken hand held at 200ISO.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad! But looks like you have some dust on your sensor?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:

I do Sad But that does not influence the test.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:

some or lot Shocked (Dust)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
Riku wrote:

some or lot Shocked (Dust)

That's the joy of not having the antidust shaker.
I think the 5D MarkII will be worth upgrading just for that.

The digital reflex of first generation were really thought for people mounting a SuperMega Zoom 10-300 f/4.5-5.6 TX BX FX Apo Macro Micro Mucro DG DX XS II and leaving it there all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The low levels of CA and fringing are quite impressive for such a wide angle. It doesn't seem quite as sharp at distances as the 2.8 AIS, but it's difficult to tell without a side by side comparison on the same sensor!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
The low levels of CA and fringing are quite impressive for such a wide angle. It doesn't seem quite as sharp at distances as the 2.8 AIS, but it's difficult to tell without a side by side comparison on the same sensor!

It flares a lot wide open but this is a common trait with other superwides that are not multi-coated.
But if you look closely the detail is there even wide open.
The vignetting wide open is a bit on the unacceptable side for me but it's also to be said that such superwides are rarely used wide open, so it's not a significant limitation.

Anyways one must keep in mind these are old lenses and as such shortcomings are to be expected. They are a lot less forgivable in today's lenses that cost 10 times as much.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ! I still in trouble to sell this lens or not.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Thank you ! I still in trouble to sell this lens or not.

If you need the money and have to choose I think it's better to keep one of the Fleks as they are better overall.
However this Nikkor is excellent at closeup shots in my opinion, and in general, it's in the short range (1m to 10 m) that it gives it's best.
So if you like to do closeup with superwides, or narrow interiors, I would keep it.
For wide landscapes, you can find better amongst the Fleks or Zuikos I think.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ! I will sell it, I have a good Zuiko for DSLR and I will use Tamron SP 17 on Nikon FA and Flektogon on Praktica.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Thank you ! I will sell it, I have a good Zuiko for DSLR and I will use Tamron SP 17 on Nikon FA and Flektogon on Praktica.

It seems a wise choice.
However this weekend if weather allows I plan to take the UD with me at the Christmas Market. So I may have new and hopefully more interesting shots to show.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Richard_D wrote:

It flares a lot wide open but this is a common trait with other superwides that are not multi-coated.
But if you look closely the detail is there even wide open.
The vignetting wide open is a bit on the unacceptable side for me but it's also to be said that such superwides are rarely used wide open, so it's not a significant limitation.

Anyways one must keep in mind these are old lenses and as such shortcomings are to be expected. They are a lot less forgivable in today's lenses that cost 10 times as much.

Having owned the 20mm 2.8 afd I' say yours is a better performer both in terms of distortion and CA Very Happy I think the reason the AIS appears sharper is largely better contrast, but it too is at it's best at close range.

All superwides are a test for designers with inevitable compromises some where.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feeling is that the best of the bunch is the 20/4. I have the 3.5 and the AFD 2.8, and my feeling is the 4 beats both on pretty much all counts.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
My feeling is that the best of the bunch is the 20/4. I have the 3.5 and the AFD 2.8, and my feeling is the 4 beats both on pretty much all counts.

patrickh

I haven't tried the 20/4, but the 20/2.8 AIS is a completely different (and far better lens) than the 20/2.8 AFD.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course better Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a fantastic lens!
(And I would like to have it in my collection...)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is well know lens from it's quality and rare!