Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NIKKOR-S Auto 1:1.2 f=55mm (Relive the Middle Ages)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: NIKKOR-S Auto 1:1.2 f=55mm (Relive the Middle Ages) Reply with quote

After almost one year with no purchases, last Sunday I finally could get myself a "new" lens, a copy of a NIKKOR-S 1.2/55.
The lens is a bit worn in the outside (like most scalloped Nikkors that I had), but the glasses are perfect and clear.

This is not a review. I just used the lens for a couple of hours,
paying more attention than usual to the technical details.

First some images of the lens, then the photos. The photos are self explanatory: the aperture is printed on every one of them.
First come the whole view, then the crops (when available).

PHOTO 01

PHOTO 02

PHOTO 03

PHOTO 04

PHOTO 05

PHOTO 06

PHOTO 07

PHOTO 08

PHOTO 09

PHOTO 10

PHOTO 11

PHOTO 12

PHOTO 13

PHOTO 14

PHOTO 15

PHOTO 16

PHOTO 17

PHOTO 18

PHOTO 19

PHOTO 20

PHOTO 21

PHOTO 22

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment:
I was positively surprised by this lens. I did not expect much, since it's an old model and presumably the coating is not up to date with the more recent Nikkors.
In fact the lens revealed a good resistance to flare even when used wide open in the sunlight and without a lens hood. See ex. photo 17
Image quality is nothing but superb from f/4 onwards, matching that of the 50mm lenses of Zeiss and Leica.
In the wider apertures, it softens a bit, but not because of lack of resolvance; the reason is the spherical aberration that is present at the edges which imparts
a slight glow to the image, especially to the highlights.
The resolvance is excellent even wide open, as you can see from the 100% crop of photo 10: every minute detail is recorded,
it only appears softer because of the glow caused by spherical aberration.
Comparison with the 100% crop of photo 09 shows that the amount of detail recorded at f/5.6 is more or less the same as in the wide open image of photo 10.
Another positive surprise is the very low amount of purple/green fringing.
I was expecting a lot of it, due to the extreme aperture of the lens, yet I have to reckon that it's a lot less than I get from my Planar lenses.
It is perfectly tolerable even without editing, and with simple editing, it disappears.
Overall, while it's obvious that this lens is no 1.2 Planar (the quality wide open of my 1.2/85 Planar is distant), one must also consider the difference in price:
the 1.2/55 Planar is currently sold for around 5000 €, which is some 20 times more this lens. Of course it would not even be a fair comparison.
For the money that it costs, I would say that this old 1.2/55 Nikkor-S is a real "bang for the buck" (someday someone will have to explain me this saying Laughing )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice purchase Orio. This was my first SLR lens and still remains one of my best. I think you will continue to be impressed by its ability.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I like about these very fast lenses is the 'glow' effect especially when used in high key situations where the effect is utilized. Similar situation to another post here with photo of "2 friends on the beach".

Beautiful copy of the lens!

There is a wikipedia topic for "bang for the buck". It should be noted the term "buck" used in reference to money is derogatory to Native Americans, being a contraction of "buckskins" from the time when bounty was offered for the scalps of those murdered as proof.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
the term "buck" used in reference to money is derogatory to Native Americans

Wow I certainly had no clue about that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys

visualopsins wrote:

There is a wikipedia topic for "bang for the buck". It should be noted the term "buck" used in reference to money is derogatory to Native Americans, being a contraction of "buckskins" from the time when bounty was offered for the scalps of those murdered as proof.

Really? Then I'll make sure not to use that locution anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio,

I like a lot both series: the lenses "product" kind shots are superb, sharp, excellent lighted, nicely composed. I thought I was reading a professional magazine when watching them.

The series about the medieval feast are so nice. Love that kind of events, and your shots catch very well the nice mood. It has been a refreshing pleaseure to watch all of them, and to show the powers of the lens.

BTW, were them taken with the 5D?.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Orio,
I like a lot both series: the lenses "product" kind shots are superb, sharp, excellent lighted, nicely composed. I thought I was reading a professional magazine when watching them.
The series about the medieval feast are so nice. Love that kind of events, and your shots catch very well the nice mood. It has been a refreshing pleaseure to watch all of them, and to show the powers of the lens.
BTW, were them taken with the 5D?.
Regards.
Jes.

Thanks much, Jes, for the kind words. I used the 5DII for these photos.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens, great shots and great ass crops Laughing Looks like a you had a fun day Smile

I have the same lens (picked up for around £100.00 with a lovely old Nikkormat body). I agree that it is very good stopped down a bit, but I love the hazy look at f1.2 as well Smile Plus, the front glass is HUGE! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics Orio, looks like the lens is a winner.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice reportage of this medieval event, the Nikkor made a good job

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must also admit that the Nikkor does much better than expected. But of course, no lens could take pictures on its own. I have tremendously enjoyed this series (being interested in history myself). Well done Orio!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really nice. it's kind of festival right? spectators must wear old clothes too?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I have more photos from the event, I will post them as I can find the time.
Laughing at Graham for the ass crops! Laughing
In fact I took that photo most casually wanting to just test the lens, it wasn't a chosen subject Laughing
Iaza, some spectators do wear period clothes, but most don't. in fact one of the challenges when photographing those events
is to isolate the actors from the spectators. Unless of course one is also interested in the spectators (which are often a show in themselves!).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, definitely your usual standard! The f1.2 look from this lens is distinctive. I think that overall I would prefer the S.C. 50 1.4 that I used to have though, apart from for wide open. It was a lot sharper from f2 on and seemed to have fewer aberrations and a little more contrast. Do you use a >f1.2 50mm on your Leica?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

natebarnz wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
the term "buck" used in reference to money is derogatory to Native Americans

Wow I certainly had no clue about that.

Oh well I didn't know that too....and playing with words:- "bang" is sometimes used as UK slang for sexual intercourse.

Interesting shots.... Like anything medieval esp castles, also further back in time to Romans, Spartans etc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William wrote:
Orio, definitely your usual standard! The f1.2 look from this lens is distinctive. I think that overall I would prefer the S.C. 50 1.4 that I used to have though, apart from for wide open. It was a lot sharper from f2 on and seemed to have fewer aberrations and a little more contrast. Do you use a >f1.2 50mm on your Leica?

The Nikkor 1.4/50 is a great lens, I used to have the AIS version.
I somehow prefer this 1.2/55 though, even stopped down. Not sure why. They are close, however.
I don't have super fast lenses for the Leica. The fastest I have is f/1.5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set Orio.
I used to have this lens also although mine was much uglier than the one you have.
The glow this lens can give at wide open is really quite nice. It's maybe a "Flaw" but, I don't view it that way.
I bought and sold mine for $250. Quite a bargain if you asked me now. Wish I still had it after viewing this set Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my SC 1.2/55 as well!

Great shots, Orio.
But either I am getting something wrong or I really see a surprisingly high level of artifacts in your 100% images.
How did you develop them?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I love my SC 1.2/55 as well!

Great shots, Orio.
But either I am getting something wrong or I really see a surprisingly high level of artifacts in your 100% images.
How did you develop them?

The usual way.
What photos (numbers) are the ones that you find artifacted?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing some cool pictures, I also have this lens(SC), nice to have something to compare it too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Very influential Reply with quote

I'm a beginner at Indie filmmaking and I am about to by this lens for my canon 60d. Your post was amazing, superb and professional. I noticed the colors were brilliant. Did you touch them up or edit them in photoshop etc? Pleas shoot video with this lens and let me know when you do. I'll post mine on vimeo after I make the purchase.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's got loads of detail, af far as i can see from the crops.
I would have never thought such a performance. Altough i can see a bit of halos i would say that your purchase was successful.
Bravo Orio and kudos to the good old Nikon Glass.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series. Looks like quite an interesting festival. I especially like the shot of the shield leaning against the tree trunk, that is my favourite.

Regarding, 'bang for the buck' I have to say that I have never ever heard of this phrase being offensive to Native Americans. And I am Native American. I question the wikipedia explanation of the phrase, and do not think that it has ever been used in connection to a bounty on Native peoples. 'Bang for the buck' is not a reference to killing people for bounty, as far as I have ever heard.

Using 'buck' for 'dollar' might have something to do with using buckskins (deerskins) as a unit of trade instead of money back in frontier times. But the term 'bang for the buck' refers to getting the most for your money. I was curious and did a quick google and apparently the phrase is a recent one (last 50 years or so) originally used politcally in reference to purchasing bombs/weaponry. That it was a reference to getting the most firepower for your money.

I'm all for political correctness and being sensitive to others, but I really don't think anyone should worry about using this phrase nor do I think it is offensive to Native Americans. Who, while we're on the topic often don't mind being called Indians, often refer to themselves as Indians, and also refer to themselves as First Nations (here in Canada). Smile