Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 50mm f2 AI near work
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Nikkor 50mm f2 AI near work Reply with quote

Yesterday lunchtime was the first bright day in quite a while, so I managed to get away from work for a short while during the lunch break with one of my favourite lenses.

Nikkor 50mm f2 AI - wide open:

I like the bokeh and it being useably sharp wide open.

It also has less obvious barrel distortion than my 1.4 AI:

4. (2.Cool

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
Thanks for sharing Richard... That little lens has always amazed me. Guess I may have to find a late AI/AIS copy.

It never made it to AIS and was dropped as AI fairly quickly when the 1.8 took over (it was the first AI lens produced). I think it's one of the most undervalued Nikkors made.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard

Love this lens - it has a special quality missing from the 1,4 although I do not think it is quite as sharp. Thanks for the samples makes me want to dig it out again. BTW the 20/4 has a similar "quality" in relation to its 3,5 and 2,8 brothers. Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikkor 50mm f2 AI near work Reply with quote

Great pictures, Richard. Keep them coming...

Richard_D wrote:
It also has less obvious barrel distortion than my 1.4 AI

I don't know the 50/1.4 AI, but I find the 50/2.0 suffers from a lot of distortion on film or full frame digital. Apart from that, it's a great lens, very versatile. It shines on a bellows.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikkor 50mm f2 AI near work Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Great pictures, Richard. Keep them coming...

Richard_D wrote:
It also has less obvious barrel distortion than my 1.4 AI

I don't know the 50/1.4 AI, but I find the 50/2.0 suffers from a lot of distortion on film or full frame digital. Apart from that, it's a great lens, very versatile. It shines on a bellows.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Abbazz is that with the 50/2 AI or the older Nikkor S.C. ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots!

This is a very nice lens, indeed.
I have tried mine yesterday. It clears the mirror of the 350D but I cannot set the aperture ring to f2, only to f2.8 and upwards. This tiny metal piece at the rear of the lens hits the lens contacts of the cam mount.

But that is no problem, since this lens is not an available light lens anyway - for this you should try to get an f1.4 at least. So it doesn't matter if I use this Nikkor at f2 or f2.8.

And I do not want to cut this metal part because it is a very nice lens for my Nikon EM. Wink

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 is my favorite ,nice pics!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

History of the 50mm f2 Nikkors:

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfolio/about/history/nikkor/n02_e.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, Richard!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have great respect for this little lens. While I have not tried it up close I have used it at normal distances. Here is a shot I posted here a few weeks back of my wife doing some window shopping. I really like the feel the lens gives. Works well in black and white.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikkor 50mm f2 AI near work Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
Abbazz is that with the 50/2 AI or the older Nikkor S.C. ?

Yes, it was the old Nikkor SC. I am totally ignorant of Nikon lenses and I thought they were the same. Embarassed

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have this lens until a few months ago. I sold it because I needed cash and I could not keep 100 50mm lenses. But it was a good lens. I have also to say that I have tried many Nikon 50mm lenses and I have yet to find a bad one they are lall very good, starting from the oldest and passing through the E series also.
-