Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 300mm f4.5 (non-ED)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 300mm f4.5 (non-ED) Reply with quote

I've had this lens for awhile but no real opportunity to use it until this weekend when I went to the coast to photograph seals. I had an expensive, made-for-digital 50-200mm zoom with me too, but it was the Nikkor 300mm f4.5 (?25!) that gave me enough telephoto for the best results!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots - which version of the 300mm is it? The AI, AIS or pre-AI?

I went for a buy it now on ebay this morning on a nice looking AIS (a little bit more than ?25 though Shocked )

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shoots ! Unbeliavable low price for this lens.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup...great lens/shots...got one myslef on fleabay...early, non-AI, so cheap, but very high IQ...very "clean" neutral tones...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That series of pictures is terrific, puplet.

The lens is one of a very fine range of lenses made over the years in that focal length by Nikon, and all of them have been terrific. I have the 300/4.5 AI ED (non-IF), 300/4.5 AI EDIF and the 300/4 AF. They are all superb.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look really nice, i f you get a chance a 100% crop with some sky and forground would be really usefull. Superbe shots.

tim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, everyone! I have the AI but not ED version of this lens. The lens itself is in mint condition but I don't have a tripod mount for it. I never actually paid for the lens: I swapped it with a friend for an angle-finder which I paid ?25 but which was worth much more Smile

The light - bright but overcast - was perfect. Normally, I get a bit of chromatic aberration with this lens - but not on this occasion.

100% crop on its way - just have to find a picture with a bit of sky in it. Originals were a bit noisy, 400ASA being the comfortable limit of my Olympus E-1. Much preferred using this than carrying a huge tripod around like some of the other photographers though Smile

Here's one more:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such nice images!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went again this week:

Again, the 300mm was very useful!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute! 300mm on Olympus that is quiet useful in wildlife photography.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incredible images!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely and sharp! Are these taken at Donna Nook?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfkita wrote:
but very high IQ...very "clean" neutral tones...

That's what nikkors are all about. Andit's also why I can enjoy the "character" of the russian/german lenses so much

patrickh

PS this is a really lovely lens and great shots with it

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Hooper, this is Donna Nook. Thanks for the nice comments, guys! 300mm is fantastic on Four Thirds cameras where it becomes 600mm equivalent. It was fun to be able to walk around and handhold the 300mm, when full-frame camera owners had to tripod-mount their 600mm lenses...

Just a couple more...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shots, the last one is brilliant.