Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Night and day in Vanvuver BC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Night and day in Vanvuver BC Reply with quote

I've had some time up in Vancuver these last few weeks. Little of that time involved taking photos. Here are a couple though that I like. Both are from my room on the 29th floor. The first is a trioplan shot @ f8. Unfortunately the iso was set on auto and the camera chose 800. This shot is interesting to me in how it was reproduced. The light of the day late (one half our from sunset). This view is to the west. The clouds did actually have this odd illumination and it was quite hazy. To the south obscuring the sun was a heavy storm front. It was a very odd light situation. The triolpan and 40D really got it. Nothing really spectacular yet, I like it. The second is a night shot as the moon started to pass by. This one was with the Zuiko 21 f2 @ f8 iso 100 for 30 secs. I lowered the color temp a bit and put a little curve on. I like this sort of city-scape. Cities Take on a much warmer character in photos when shot at night. Let me know what you think.

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the city scape.

With the first shot, the sky is great and I like the positioning of the building but the arrangement of the boats doesn't quite work, but that's being piky, and short of a call to the harbourmaster...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,
i like both, but the second is my favorite. I like the smart spotlight stars. This photo catch my eyes. Beautiful!
I must stop this message. The postman brings my MC Jupiter 37M!!!!

Imre

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first scene is one of those that are very difficult to port over from reality to photograph. Their charm is mostly based on the perception of the "air" and the subtle atmospherical movements that you have on location, and these get lost in still frames, which can not capture time. I know this because so many times I tried this kind of takes, and I never really succeeded in making one that could satisfy me.

The city scape is really a lovely view. You are right, night shots are the best for big cities, probably because they hide from our eyes the ugliness of the everyday shapes and materials.
The exposure is just perfect for the city, unfortunately 30 seconds may be too much for the moon which shows (it seems to me) what could be a motion track (but it's hard to tell from the resize). Perhaps a 200 ISO could have rendered a stiller moon - of course, it would have also subtracted a bit of clarity form the landscape - not an easy choice to take.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio is right - a Monet with a quick brush could get it, but cameras have a hard time. The Cityscape is great - and I have always said Vancouver is the best city in North America. I just love that place

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sunshine
The first can be even better with little photoshop
The second is impressive, I like this kind of photo and your zuiko is incredible

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Al for your comments. Orio you are right about the motion showing in the moon. I took a 5 shot bracket of this scene. If it was a more fantastic shot I would try and use the moon from one of the lesser exposures. As it is a fun but rather average photo, and my photoshop skill and time to use is not great. I will leave it as this for now. If I was as adept as Simon Kennedy with PS It would only take a few minutes. Those days will come I hope. Smile

Andy