Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New ZM lens in 2013
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: New ZM lens in 2013 Reply with quote

"For fans of the Carl Zeiss family of ZM systems for rangefinder cameras, Carl Zeiss has a special surprise in store. In 2013, at least one fast lens with M bayonet will go on sale. Using lenses from the ZM series with adapters is also very popular on mirrorless system cameras."

Any bets? I'm hoping for a 35/1.4 Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Comments section is super interesting ->

"35 Responses to Carl Zeiss at photokina 2012
Selbst einen Kommentar hinterlassen > Kommentieren

Martin Schamel | September 6, 2012 at 12:54 pm
Nice to hear! A 24mm F/1.4 (35mm equiv.) and a 35mm F/1.4 (50mm equiv.) for Sony E-Mount would be great!

Jan Safranek | September 6, 2012 at 2:09 pm
I love my 24mm f/1.8 Zeiss + Nex-7. I am going to buy new autofocus Zeiss lenses the same day you will start to sell these for Sony E-mount. However, I would love to have fullframe CSC with some AF Zeiss glass, I hope they will come one day

Simon Dai | September 6, 2012 at 2:33 pm
I currently own and use all the systems in Zeiss’ planned roadmap mentioned above so this is totally awesome news – so far the best one I have heard prior to the opening of Kina 2012.
My wish is a Leica-Noctilux equivalent for the ZE or ZF.2 mount. Anything equal to or faster than f/1.4 with Sony’s E mount and Fuji’s X mount will make my day.
Cheers!

Emmanuel Amarger | September 6, 2012 at 3:36 pm
A distagon 55mm… a distagon is usually a design for wide angle lenses. 55mm is wide only in medium format, but the text says full-format…
in full format, 55mm is not wide. 50-55mm are usually planar or sonar…

Markus Worsdorfer | September 6, 2012 at 4:01 pm
Wow, Zeiss lenses for CSC, maybe m4/3?
Wouldn’t that be nice. Recently Schneider announced a 14mm lens for m4/3. Now maybe Zeiss with a range of fast prime lenses.
A dream come true!!!

Josef | September 6, 2012 at 4:52 pm
I hope that the distagon 55/1.4 will be available sooner then after end of wedding season 2013!
Great news around 50mm there are not realy good lenses to choose from at least for EF mount. if this will blow the others away than it is realy great news for me cause im searching for something amazing around 50mm! Sounds like it is going to have floating elements which with 1,4 aperture going to be superb. Leica style

Peter | September 6, 2012 at 9:11 pm
I own the 24mm f/1.8 Zeiss and use it quite often on the Nex-7. This is a really nice combination and I’d buy any new Zeiss E mount lens the moment it becomes available. Will visit your booth at Photokina.

Thomas Ludwig | September 7, 2012 at 5:23 am
I recently saw old 105 macro second-hand lenses for Four Thirds lenses on offer – they sold like fresh bread. This is a gap in the current MFT offerings- a 100 mm macro lens.

Edward Karaa | September 7, 2012 at 6:24 am
Is the new Distagon 55/1.4 a medium format lens as well?

Carl Zeiss Lenses | September 10, 2012 at 7:11 am
These lenses will be designed for full frame cameras with 36x24mm sensor size, not for medium format cameras. We will provide these lenses with F- and EF-mount.

Edward Karaa | September 7, 2012 at 6:25 am
I am also very interested in the new ZM. That is great news that us RF users are not forgotten

Sky_walker | September 7, 2012 at 7:06 am
How about releasing this Distagon 55/1.4 in an A-mount version too? Swapping F with A mount is quite simple, people do this at homes, so I have no idea why Zeiss resists so much from releasing manual primes on A-mount.

Barry Haines | September 7, 2012 at 10:37 am
I currently own the ZM 25/2.8, 35/2 and 50/2 lenses all in silver…Luv them!!!
I personally am not that interested in the slow 85/4…I really would like to see another 85mm lens that was faster with a minimum of f2.8 (the discontinued 85/2 ZM Sonnar is or was just to expensive for the masses as it was a German made lens like the 15mm…I am quite happy with the majority to go with yet another Zeiss Cosina style lens).
Anyway please remember some of us love the Silver lens finish as they are better finished IMHO than the black versions (Japanese- Zeiss Cosina).

Phil | September 7, 2012 at 6:03 pm
So… where’s the digital Ikon?

Keith Pitts | September 7, 2012 at 10:28 pm
Any chance of a digital Ikon to compete with the M9? Full frame manual digital Ikon would be amazing!!!

Carl Zeiss Lenses | September 10, 2012 at 10:05 am
Thank you for your suggestion. At the moment we do not plan to develop a digital Ikon camera.

Adam | September 8, 2012 at 7:17 am
ZEISS MAKE AUTOFOCUS ZF.2 LENSES!!!!!!
WAS REALLY HOPING THE 55mm HAD AF!!!

Terry Sham | September 8, 2012 at 3:43 pm
What is the origin of the Distagon 1.2/55 ZF.2? Is it made by Cosina?

Carl Zeiss Lenses | September 11, 2012 at 8:11 am
Yes, it is.

Phil2 | September 22, 2012 at 4:31 pm
Please consider making plans for a full-frame ZI or comparable camera, partnering with Sony or Pentax/Ricoh (e.g. FF GXR A12 derivative…). I use ZI, CV 15mm SWH, Biogon 21/2.8, Biogon 35/2, Planar 50/2, 1960 Elmarit-M 90/2.8 and 1976 M42 135mm f/2.8 Cosina via adapter. Hope the 2013 surprise lens will be a 28mm f/2 ! Thanks, Phil.

Laura Gonzalez | September 9, 2012 at 10:22 pm
Good to see new photographic products come from such a high quality optics team. I have always been a fan of Carl Zeiss lenses/cameras. Now we need a full frame digital mirrorless camera like the Zeiss range finder with hybrid viewfinder…I would be the first in line to get it. Let’ s blow Leica away!

Gregg Smith | September 11, 2012 at 5:53 pm
A new fast ZM lens.
Please let it be a ZM version of a 25mm f2.
This would integrate really nicely with the 35mm and 50mm f2 lenses, making a nice system of fast ZM lenses.
Zeiss have already produced 25mm f2 for the ZE and ZF market and the 24mm f1.8 for the NEX, so it’s more than possible to produce an f2 25mm with the superior ergonomics of the ZM line.
Fingers crossed.
Either that or I’m guessing it could be an 85mm f2 but produced in Japan rather than Germany (thus bringing the price down to a reasonable level).
Either way I’ll be interested to hear the official announcement.

Emmanuel Amarger | September 11, 2012 at 8:35 pm
Lenses for 24x36mm of ~50mm are usually Tessar, Sonnar or Planar. I own then 3 kinds of them and each has its strength and weak points. For example the tessar is very little and has very good definition and micro contrast but it opens at 2.8 and it’s more prone to flare than the two others. The sonnar is excellent in definition, micro contrast , bokeh, but has field curvature.
Why did you choose a distagon formula ? What are its strenghth and weakness ?

Lou | September 15, 2012 at 3:39 am
Is there any intent by Zeiss to produce smaller manual rangefinder type lenses with Sony E-mount. A small 15 mm pancake, similar to Voigtlaender’s Heliar would make sense to me. The skills in using the NEX is manual focusing and this retro way of photography start becoming popular again.
Samyang has a 10mm manual, they have a 14 mm, all fast lenses, and here again all is produced in Nikon, Canon or Sony A mount.
The E mount is now popular in photo and video, so why is there not more interest to produce lenses for it, specially lenses with affordable pricing.

Carl Zeiss Lenses | September 18, 2012 at 11:57 am
Dear Lou,
one highspeed ZM lens will be released in 2013. For Sony E-Mount as announced at photokina 2012 there will be a lens family in Summer 2013. Have look at our latest blogpost for more information: http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/?p=2864
Best regards,
Carl Zeiss Lenses Team

Luen | September 17, 2012 at 9:08 am
Hi, any update with the “fast ZM lenses” ?

Carl Zeiss Lenses | September 18, 2012 at 11:37 am
Not yet, Luen. Please have patience with us and stay tuned.

tonton | September 21, 2012 at 8:13 pm
Have patience until when, end of photokina or more?

sylwester | September 21, 2012 at 9:59 pm
Hello.
What is the reason you do not make lenses for Pentax ZK ? Do you have any plans for K mount ?
Thank you

David R. | September 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm
Hello,
I would be thrilled by a bi-focal 35/50 f/2 lens.
Are bi- or tri- focal optics something you may consider? Or is it covered by patents?
Rgds

Carl Zeiss Lenses | October 4, 2012 at 8:15 am
Dear David,
unfortunately we cannot provide good news regarding your suggestion.
We do not plan to offer a bi-focal M-mount lens within the next future. We think such a lens with high performance at f/2 would be too bulky and heavy for a rangefinder lens, so only a few people would accept to carry it around on a rangefinder camera.
Anyway thank you for your interest and your suggestion,
your Carl Zeiss Lenses Team

Nathalie Swiss | September 28, 2012 at 2:08 pm
Hey.. Very interesting post there you got.. But I’m quite new in this stuff and I have a RF. I was wondering whether is it possible for the RF to use all those telephoto and zoom lenses such as nikon?.. because i have a nikon mount adapter and I am still deciding which lens to get..
Regards,
Nathalie
Check out my range finder reviews site!
I invite you to review

Carl Zeiss Lenses | October 4, 2012 at 8:11 am
Dear Nathalie,
thanks for your comment and your question. In fact it is possible to use the telephoto and zoom lenses.
But in practical use, it does not really makes sense to use SLR lenses with an adapter on an M-mount rangefinder camera, especially the longer focal lengths. This is because you cannot use the rangefinder with an adapted lens, so focusing is just a guessing game. Additionally, you cannot frame the correct angle of view.
Hope this helps you!
Best regards
Carl Zeiss Lenses Team

royly | November 16, 2012 at 7:15 am
Hi,
Could you please give some hints about the fast ZM lens?Such as,what is the maximum aperture of the fast ZM lens?And so on.
Regards,
Royly

Carl Zeiss Lenses | November 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm
Dear royly, sorry we do not say more than previously announced about technical details at the moment. Please wait for further announcements. Best regards, Carl Zeiss Lenses Team

Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like it to be a Biogon type. As they did with the 1.5/50 ZM Sonnar and recreated a classic design with modern glass (okay, they tweaked the design a little too) I'd like to see them apply the same concept to the Biogon as the 1952 Biogon 2.8/35 I just acquired is the best lens I have ever shot.

There's a tip for you Harry, if you don't have a Biogon 2.8/35, postwar western redesigned version, you should grab one, although it's only in Contax/Kiev mount so unless you have one of the adapters you can't use it on your M9.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I'd like it to be a Biogon type. As they did with the 1.5/50 ZM Sonnar and recreated a classic design with modern glass (okay, they tweaked the design a little too) I'd like to see them apply the same concept to the Biogon as the 1952 Biogon 2.8/35 I just acquired is the best lens I have ever shot.

There's a tip for you Harry, if you don't have a Biogon 2.8/35, postwar western redesigned version, you should grab one, although it's only in Contax/Kiev mount so unless you have one of the adapters you can't use it on your M9.

Thanks for the tip Ian. Have you posted images taken with this lens here? Curious to see how it compares to the ZM c-biogon 35/2.8

I'm hoping the new lens is a 35/1.4 or a 25/2

Last edited by Hari on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its december! when are they planning to announce?
tony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: New ZM lens! Reply with quote

An ZM Distagon T*1,4/35mm is definately coming during the 3rd part of 2013!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good news, if it indeed is a 35/1.4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Biogon 2/35 ZM is VERY good.
I doubt Zeiss will release a 3rd ZM lens for the 35mm focal length.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikos wrote:
The Biogon 2/35 ZM is VERY good. I doubt Zeiss will release a 3rd ZM lens for the 35mm focal length.

... unless Zeiss decides to discontinue the 2.8/35 ZM? The camera stores I have talked to tell me customers only buy the 2/35 ZM and don't even bother asking about the 2.8/35 ZM.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they mean fast as in f/1.4 or faster, I doubt it's going to be a Biogon. It seems too fast for a non-retrofocal wide angle lens.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: New ZM 1,4/35mm Reply with quote

Nikos wrote:
The Biogon 2/35 ZM is VERY good.
I doubt Zeiss will release a 3rd ZM lens for the 35mm focal length.

I do have it confirmed from Zeiss at Oberkochen!