Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New way to "kill" fungus?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: New way to "kill" fungus? Reply with quote

Hi!

A friend of mine just asked me a question.
He said, that fungus is also just a carbon based life-form.
And as such it consists, at least partly, of proteins.
Every protein in life-forms will disintegrate at about 58°C.

Now, he asked, if it if possible to "kill" fungus when you expose the lens to 60°C, very slowly increasing and decreasing the temperature in order not to harm any delicate parts of the lens (glue etc.).

I couldn't answer his interesting question.

What do you think?

Carsten

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New way to "kill" fungus? Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Every protein in life-forms will disintegrate at about 58°C.
Now, he asked, if it if possible to "kill" fungus when you expose the lens to 60°C, very slowly increasing and decreasing the temperature in order not to harm any delicate parts of the lens (glue etc.).
I couldn't answer his interesting question.
What do you think?
Carsten

Interesting indeed.
But I think that if it was so easy, someone else would have already thought about it and we would have heard about it already.
Glasses and metals by themselves should be able to handle the temperature, but we are talking about delicate assembly here, and of the kind where half a millimeter may make the difference between a great lens and a misaligned/thrasheable one.
For sure metal expands with heath so I think it's possible that this may alter the position and alignment of the glasses inside.
As I said, I think that if heath was a viable way, it would have been already adopted.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget grease on helicoid I would see this guy face when aperture blades covered with grease fully and not works any more. It might be happen if you order a lens from warm country summer time.

I cleaned successfully many lens with 50 % Ammonium_hydroxide + 50% hydrogen peroxide mixture. Little smelly Smile , but kill fungus as well and clean the lens surface as well. I don't believe in any other ways like UV lamp etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually fungus growths on the inner side of the front element wich is not glued.
So one can remove it and then cook the lens with care, gradually because there is some coating around.
Sorin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
any other ways like UV lamp etc.

I heard that UV light exposure is used for yellowing.

Guido