Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Pentax K-7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: New Pentax K-7 Reply with quote

The buzz is going in Pentax land. It's not the new Pentax FF camera, still APS-C, but it looks promising. As of now I only have press kit pics of the camera, but nothing on the specifications. Those are bound to be disclosed around May, 21th.

What can I say about the Pentax K-7? It looks very classic with the angular slopes on the prism housing (like the Pentax LX). It does feature a movie mode and has a HDMI port and a MIC connection for an external microphone. The LCD is 3" and the camera features an AF assist lamp. The sensor is said to be a reworked version of the K20D one (14,6MP).

Not much more to say, really. Except that it also comes with a Weather Resistant lens, namely the SMC Pentax-DA 1:3.5-4.5 18-55mm AL WR. Basically just the old Ver. II kit lens with weather sealing added.

Sorry, I cannot show you the pics, but the K-7 is for real! Cool

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pentax K-7 Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
It looks very classic with the angular slopes on the prism housing (like the Pentax LX)...

Does it look like my LX? Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pentax K-7 Reply with quote

[quote="soikka"]
Spotmatic wrote:
It looks very classic with the angular slopes on the prism housing (like the Pentax LX)...

[quote]

Think about the FA-1 prism and then it's only the prism that has a resemblance with the K-7. The rest of the body is much more sophisticated Cool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be the only image so far:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pentax K-7 Reply with quote

soikka wrote:

what a beauty....( envy..Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have summarized the new camera as best as I can in my blog...hope it's ok to post and I didn't step on anyone's toes Embarassed http://fotoramblings.wordpress.com/

Links to most sources are provided where I could find a first-hand source. Also links to the Mega Thread on PentaxForums...the reason I decided to summarize! Laughing

This thread is on the second page of a Google search for "Pentax K-7"...might as well try to raise the rank a little Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me give you some facts.

100% Viewfinder
In-camera lateral CA removal/distortion correction
Contrast Detect AF
Face Recognition AF in LV mode
magnesium-steel alloy housing
WB sensor (actually this helps AF in artificial lighting)
AF spotbeam: yes, in the built-in flash

I know many more as I have the full specs, but I cannot disclose everything Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Peter (only one thread here not like PentaxForums Laughing )

Spotmatic wrote:

100% Viewfinder...Yvon Borque posted 95% and he's under an NDA for sure. A couple conflicting reports, hence my reluctance to post specs although I have relayed Yvon's post.
In-camera lateral CA removal/distortion correction...I'm 97% sure of this as well
Contrast Detect AF...Is this just for SDM lenses?
Face Recognition AF in LV mode...I have not heard this one before
magnesium-steel alloy housing...In my mind, confirmed Smile
WB sensor (actually this helps AF in artificial lighting)...Also confirmed, although I didn't specify the AF assisting part in my blog
AF spotbeam: yes, in the built-in flash...Will have to update this as well

I know many more as I have the full specs, but I cannot disclose everything Wink

I'm sorry if this post seems like I don't believe you (I have no reason NOT to...your posts aren't sketchy like ogl's or self-righteous like RH's) Very Happy

Thanks for the info...hopefully will have enough "new" and confirmed info for another blog entry later tonight or tomorrow Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan s wrote:
Hi again Peter (only one thread here not like PentaxForums Laughing )

Spotmatic wrote:

100% Viewfinder...Yvon Borque posted 95% and he's under an NDA for sure. A couple conflicting reports, hence my reluctance to post specs although I have relayed Yvon's post.
In-camera lateral CA removal/distortion correction...I'm 97% sure of this as well
Contrast Detect AF...Is this just for SDM lenses?
Face Recognition AF in LV mode...I have not heard this one before
magnesium-steel alloy housing...In my mind, confirmed Smile
WB sensor (actually this helps AF in artificial lighting)...Also confirmed, although I didn't specify the AF assisting part in my blog
AF spotbeam: yes, in the built-in flash...Will have to update this as well

I'm sorry if this post seems like I don't believe you (I have no reason NOT to...your posts aren't sketchy like ogl's or self-righteous like RH's) Very Happy

Thanks for the info...hopefully will have enough "new" and confirmed info for another blog entry later tonight or tomorrow Smile

No thanks... And with regards to the viewfinder: I haven't said what the 100% is all about. The original text from the press release:

Quote:
Optical viewfinder showing nearly 100% field of view
The K-7’s glass prism finder offers an approximately 100% field of view and an approximately 92% magnification to facilitate focusing and framing operations. It also features a new Natural-Bright-Matte III focusing screen to improve focusing accuracy during manual-focus operation.

The last sentence is a good improvement for us MF lovers, of course Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here first Pics and (some unconfirmed) specifications of K7
http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2009/05/pentax-k-7-is-here-finally.html

Looks very nice to me, but I have to wait for the prices to go down Very Happy

Regards
Hasan

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_fang/sets/72157618438434400/

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hasan,

This one is interesting -

HDR (High Dynamic Range) Mode (One Composite Image from 3 Exposure Bracketed Images)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the predecessor had it too (K20D).

The kit lenses are also interesting: 18-55 and 50-200 both wheater-sealed (!!!) and a filter thread of only 49mm (same as the majority of my MF lenses Smile ). More it might have a 100 % VF coverage.
I like its dimensions too Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the K20D and multi-shot High Dynamic Range.

I suppose I must have tuned it out. With respect to the K20D I have this little alarm signal that goes off automatically that says "I can't afford it, I can't afford it". So I never read anything about the K20D.

I guess I haven't seen the price tag for the K7 yet, so I haven't been scared away.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K20D has been getting cheap for quite a while now.....

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pentaxk7/ Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost complete Review with nice Video:

Pentax K-7: toma de contacto
http://www.quesabesde.com/noticias/pentax-k-7-toma-de-contacto,1_5298

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/622079-REG/Pentax__K_7_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

I'll want one - the K100d is half way in my daughter's possession already... and the K20 is just too large seeming. This one looks just right.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I'm getting this one, no question about it. While I love my K20D, almost every aspect of it has been improved in the K-7. Apparently the release is July, so I'll have a couple of months to save up for it Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess, for me, it will be an outstanding jump from my K100D.
On the other hand, I have to wait till end of the year, for price drops. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, you can download 2 Sample Photos, done with the 2 Kit-Lenses
https://network.pentax.eu/index.php?PHPSESSID=2076cfe33e2d72d96e94c3db554d736d&new_todo=PLUGIN_explorer_display&selected_folder_id=914

"firmware Version 0.2"

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another preview http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K7/K7A.HTM

Can't wait to afford one! Cool

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Initial impressions of the new camera Reply with quote

By Mark Dimalanta

http://surfdoc.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tiny!!!!!

When you compare it to its intended competitors (Canon 50D, Nikon D300, Olympus E30), it very small. Whaan excellent job they've done!!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/pentaxian1 Smile

PS. It's not the E30's competitor but of the Oly E3.