Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Leica EVIL camera to mount R lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: New Leica EVIL camera to mount R lenses? Reply with quote

"Don't sell your Leica R lenses yet !" :

http://leicarumors.com/2010/05/11/dont-sell-your-leica-r-lenses-yet.aspx/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But unless it's FF, it's kind of pointless, no? And I can't see them doing a FF EVIL line separate from the M9, which would cannibalize the sales of the latter... unless they make it really lame so that the flange is actually longer than M-mount.

Maybe APS-H?? That could be a niche I guess...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I too fail to see a marketing logic in this.
Let's see...

EDIT: thinking again... actually, one possible logic is that they might outsource the camera production to Panasonic.
Wetzlar is months-backordered on the Leica M9. I could buy mine only by a lucky strike, I anticipated of a few minutes a phone order from Rome on the last copy that was remaining to a local store. After that one, it would have meant to order the camera and wait for months.
So, considering the little amount of M9s that Leica can produce in Wetzlar, a new EVIL camera mass produced by Panasonic at a lower cost, quality and final price, might still make sense.
After all, people who really want to buy a M9, they will buy an M9.
And people who just want a full frame range/viewfinder, regardless of M mount, are more probably put off by the high price and long waiting list for a M9, than likely to refuse an EVIL offering.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumor says it is a FF camera, otherwise it does not have any impact at all.
Its price will be 3,200 euro, of course this is a rumor too. Monday is the day
Leica will show to us, I hope. Yes, unknown japanese company is working as
an OEM....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
Rumor says it is a FF camera, otherwise it does not have any impact at all.
Its price will be 3,200 euro, of course this is a rumor too. Monday is the day
Leica will show to us, I hope. Yes, unknown japanese company is working as
an OEM....

Wow, a full frame digital viewfinder at a +-3000 Eur price is going to turn many heads! Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe that explain why they have removed the R lenses from Leica website
they are probably cleaning the pics for the big come back Cool

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OEM!!!

Brilliant... I just think I might start saving up money Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They (Leica) also introduce the camera with AF lenses (more than one), though not
sure you need AF-lens or not. Some speculate the sensor moves to focus
a la Contax AX Auto-Focus style, if so their R-solution fulfill R-lens fans in the end. Very Happy
Although this AF thing is not confirmed at all....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe - if something will come sooner or later - it will be a cam based on the X1 with an adapter for R lenses.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
I believe - if something will come sooner or later - it will be a cam based on the X1 with an adapter for R lenses.

Wink

So you mean you think it'll be APS-C?

I really can't see how well that will sell. I mean who but the most feverish Leica-mania would want to shoot with their R lenses on an APS-C Leica camera (that costs $4,000) when they could get much better images shooting those lenses on a 5D Mk2? For way cheaper?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R glass even at its lowest point is still expensive to me...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was that. On a brighter note, I won't have to worry about saving up 3200€ :LOL:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/09/18/no-leica-evil-camera-or-r-solutuion-at-photokina/