Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Forest
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: New Forest Reply with quote

The New Forest is a large area of ancient wood and heathland near the south coast of England where almost 1,000 years ago William the Conqueror enjoyed his deer hunting. Since the beginning of time the forest has been home to a unique breed of wild ponies - they are free to roam and graze all over the forest but cattle grids on all the roads prevent them from escaping. There was a family of donkeys with them when I visited Smile

#1 - 400D + S-M-C Takumar 3.5/28

#2 - 400D + S-M-C Takumar 3.5/135

#3 - 400D + Super-Takumar 1.4/50
I rushed this shot to catch the pose and missed the focus! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New Forest Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
The New Forest is a large area of ancient wood...

Funny!

peterqd wrote:

Yeah, that the manual lens shooter's dilemma!
And the reason why I never would give up my AF lenses.
Call it treason. I can live with it. Wink

Nice shots, Peter!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Forest Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
peterqd wrote:
The New Forest is a large area of ancient wood...

Funny!

Yep, I guess it was "new" at some time, but it was called "Nova Foresta" in the Domesday Book in 1079!

Quote:
peterqd wrote:

Yeah, that the manual lens shooter's dilemma!
And the reason why I never would give up my AF lenses.
Call it treason. I can live with it. Wink

Nice shots, Peter!

Thanks Carsten. Besides the 18-55 kit lens I have two Canon AF zooms, the 100-300 USM and the 28-135 IS USM. I sometimes need the kit lens for ultra-wide shots, especially at work, but I very seldom use the other two. I don't like the coloyurs and contrast. I think I might sell them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am impressed although you write you missed focus on one. I am not fast enough to use MF on moving targets.

My fav. is no1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love number one.

The southcoast is marvelous.

Guido

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New Forest Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
... I think I might sell them.

I am sure you will get some money for them and find some MF lenses to use it on. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excellent set of pictures Peter.
I see no big problem with the focus in the picture that you described as with missed focus (just a slight front focusing), but perhaps it's because of the resize.
The performance of the Takumars is lovely.
Beautiful animal captures. And the donkey, is one of my favourite animals.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good series, remember for Eddie Murphy from Shrek Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
I am impressed although you write you missed focus on one. I am not fast enough to use MF on moving targets.

My fav. is no1

Thankyou. The donkeys did actually line up and stand still as I asked, the trouble was I didn't trust them and I rushed it. And then when I asked them to say "cheese" they looked at me as if they thought I was stupid! Maybe "carrots" would have been better Shocked

I like No 1 best too. I've been neglecting the Tak 28, favouring the faster Komine Vivitar 2.8/28 instead, but it's difficult to say which is best. This weekend I took just three Takumar lenses (28, 50 & 135) with a Spotmatic SPII loaded with FP4+ 125 B&W film, plus the 400D.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jigt wrote:
Love number one.

The southcoast is marvelous.

Guido

Thank you Guido.

Here's another shot looking to the left of No. 1. It's actually the village cricket green at Lyndhurst and the ponies keep the grass nicely cut! The co-ordinates where I took the pictures are 50°52'17.30"N, 1°33'54.00"W

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
This is an excellent set of pictures Peter.
I see no big problem with the focus in the picture that you described as with missed focus (just a slight front focusing), but perhaps it's because of the resize.
The performance of the Takumars is lovely.
Beautiful animal captures. And the donkey, is one of my favourite animals.

Thanks Orio, I'm really pleased you like them. My wife took this one of me. The donkey on the right had just nudged me in the back while I was photographing the babies Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get your camera back from the donkey Twisted Evil Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some countries, I don't know why, donkeys have this reputation of being stupid animals. Probably because they are very determined and they know EXACTLY what they want, and men, in their presumption of superiority, interpret this as stubborn stupidity.

In reality, donkeys have been proven to be one of the most intelligent animals on earth.
They are very reserved and will not give you their affection for years, until you convince them that you really deserve it.
But once you have earned it, you can treasure it forever, because they are very loyal animals.

Not just that: they also have a very quiet, almost contemplative attitude. For this reason, they have been tried as companions for children, to cure some children diseases such as autism. And they have proven to be the most effective remedy, so much that several "health farms" have been created that use donkeys for treatment, especially to cure autistic children, or children that have suffered from severe shocks of various kinds.

If I had the space and possibility, I would really love to have a donkey for myself.