Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New comparison 50mm and 55mm lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: New comparison 50mm and 55mm lenses Reply with quote

In addition to an older comparison I did:
http://forum.mflenses.com/comparing-super-takumar-55mm-f-2-to-f-1-8-and-others-help-t61328,start,25.html
I decided to do a new comparison with 50mm and 55mm lenses. This time I used an Oly E-PL5. Unfortunately I didn't keep all the same lenses. Comparison is between:
- Rikenon XR 50mm f/2
- SMC Pentax 50mm f/1.4
- Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8
- Micro Nikkor 55mm f/2.8

My conslusions:

Rikenon XR 50/2: Quite some chromatic aberration at the tree branches. Softer image @f/2 than the SMC Pentax. From f/2.8 on, slightly better sharpness and micro contrast than the SMC Pentax (look at contrast of cement vs stones).

SMC Pentax 50/1.4
: Soft @f/1.4, but good sharpness and contrast from f/2 on. Least CA of all lenses in the test.

Super Takumar 55/1.8
: overall, softer image and more CA than the SMC Pentax 50/1.4. Mechanically, I love this lens.

Micro Nikkor 55/2.8
: Lots of CA. Probably not optimized for far distance objects. Very sharp image with very nice micro contrast from f/5.6 on.

Best overall performer in this test IMO is the SMC Pentax. Good at wide aperture (F2), seems to deal better with harsh light (less CA). Nice colors and overall contrast.

Please, feel free to comment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the SMC 50/1.4 is the best lens in this particular test, but I'm not seeing that contrast advantage you mention about the Ricoh. What I do see is a difference in exposure between the Ricoh and the SMC.

Just a thought, was this test genuine, or did your wife find to pointing a your camera at your neighbour's window and you had to come up with an excuse?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: New comparison 50mm and 55mm lenses Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Nice job. Were the lenses focussed, or at infinity caspert?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New comparison 50mm and 55mm lenses Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Near infinity. The Oly camera's allow for very precise focusing however.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:
I agree that the SMC 50/1.4 is the best lens in this particular test, but I'm not seeing that contrast advantage you mention about the Ricoh. What I do see is a difference in exposure between the Ricoh and the SMC.

I cannot guarantee that the difference is not caused by a difference in exposure. Even considering the exposure, it seems slightly better IMO (the difference between the stones and cement seems sharper/ more contrasty).

itsfozzy wrote:
Just a thought, was this test genuine, or did your wife find to pointing a your camera at your neighbour's window and you had to come up with an excuse?

I made sure my wife was outdoors Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New comparison 50mm and 55mm lenses Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Sciolist wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Near infinity. The Oly camera's allow for very precise focusing however.

Thanks.