Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Comparing Super Takumar 55mm f/2 to f/1.8 and others - help
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamR wrote:
WNG555 wrote:
Laugh 1

Zombie thread!
Laugh 1

This isn't the best reason to resurrect a zombie thread yet again...
If you want to contribute to the thread or ask a question, then by all means do so, but to bring it back to life to add a Smile is a waste, IMO.
Welcome to the site.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I believe the vast majority of the cost is the manufacturing of the optical elements, that they used the same optics in two different Kit lenses over such a long time period magnified the economies of scale.
That it was such a good lens is a nice bonus.

You can see the same thing going on in the two camera models available at the same time to suit. The budget Spotmatic SP500 lost the 1/1000 shutter speed of the SPII. Except inside you find the same mechanism. The speed was simply left off the painted dial, but can still be chosen, perhaps without the benefit of factory adjustment for accuracy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
GrahamR wrote:
WNG555 wrote:
Laugh 1

Zombie thread!
Laugh 1

This isn't the best reason to resurrect a zombie thread yet again...
If you want to contribute to the thread or ask a question, then by all means do so, but to bring it back to life to add a Smile is a waste, IMO.
Welcome to the site.

Thanks... i wasn't trying to be sarcastic,i genuinely thought it was a funny post (the zombie thread emoji) and was responding to it.I was reading through the thread as i have the Takumar 55mm f2 and wanted to get some insight into the differences between that and the 1.8.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, the main difference is how the aperture assembly is put together, IIRC, the two are nearly identical except for the opening on one part is bigger on the f1.8 version, you should be able to swap any part from one lens to the other and have it work(assuming it's the same generation).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a comparison a while back including these Takumars. The pictures Are not there anymore. If you want I can probably dig them up from somewhere. But here are my
Conclusions:
http://forum.mflenses.com/several-50-55-mm-primes-compared-in-the-field-t34237.html

Imo, the dirt cheap Rikenon XR is a hidden gem. It doesn’t have the feel of a Takumar though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
I did a comparison a while back including these Takumars. The pictures Are not there anymore. If you want I can probably dig them up from somewhere. But here are my
Conclusions:
http://forum.mflenses.com/several-50-55-mm-primes-compared-in-the-field-t34237.html

Imo, the dirt cheap Rikenon XR is a hidden gem. It doesn’t have the feel of a Takumar though.

Agree on both points
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the old comparison. These are 100% crops.
Camera is an Oly E-PL1. I'm planning to do a new comparison soon on a E-PL5 which has a much better sensor.

But what do you think? I know it's splitting hairs, but I would say the Rikenon is the winner here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job caspert.

As the shots seem to have you standing a distance from the subject, can I ask if you focussed, or used infinity?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is infinity or near infinity.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
This is infinity or near infinity.

Thanks.

I'm hoping it's just my eyes but the f/2.0 Tak looks sharper than the f/1.8 at 5.6. It does wide open too, but that could be because the reduced aperture is hiding some aberration.

Surprising as they are essentially same lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean. Could be that the pictures made with the Takamur 50/2.0 are slightly better in focus. My indoor test (focus @ 1 meter) shows similar results though (the 50/2.0 performing slightly better).

Best center performance with the Rikenon XR. The Vivitar 55/2.8 macro shows the best peripheral performance. As this is a macro lens it has probably the flattest field of focus.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^That's a really nice comparison. Thanks caspert.

Just one thing. I said the two Tak's were essentially the same lens, but I thought I was looking at two Super-Tak's, not an SMC and a Super. My mistake there, you made it obvious and I still read it wrongly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the smc/st takumar 55/1,8 has better users comments than the 55/2 versión if both are the same lens?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Why the smc/st takumar 55/1,8 has better users comments than the 55/2 versión if both are the same lens?

Don't believe everything that people write.
Both the f1.8 and the f2 Takumars are great - many comments are subjective from people who have one and not the other.
You can't go wrong with either lens.
The bokeh is superb
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
papasito wrote:

Both the f1.8 and the f2 Takumars are great - many comments are subjective from people who have one and not the other.
The bokeh is superb
Tom

My subjective comment having had all three is SMC and s-m-c versions have better coatings better light transmission and the f/2 lenses start off slightly sharper as apertures are narrowed. That's physics not necessarily discernable to the naked eye.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
papasito wrote:

The bokeh is superb
Tom

Thank you, very much.

I use now one Hexanon 50/1,7 but prefer the 55 mm fl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speacking about the two lenses, the SMC 55/2 M42, and the hexanon 50/1,7 v.2,

which is better ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT seems thai nobody knows about smc/st takumar 1,8/55 lens vs hexanon 1,7/50 AR one, I found:

To whom IT may concern:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/140271-one-sharpest-these-3-lenses.html

Regards

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

which is better ?

Well now, which is better depends on what you are looking for in the lens.
I have had the Hexanon AR 1.7/50 and I still have the Super-Takumar 2/55
The Hexanon I found years ago when I had read that it was the sharpest 50mm lens of its time and wanted to see for myself.
My copy was in excellent condition, but I could see no difference in sharpness between it and other 50mm lenses that I had.
The Super-Takumar on the other hand has such buttery bokeh that I like, that I kept it.
The Hexanon has long ago been sold.
Now there are plenty of other people who love the Hexanon.
I do have a couple of Hexanons that I do like - the 1.8/40 and the 1.4/57
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a boatload of 55mm Takumars, from the old Autos to the SMCs. I also have a Super 50mm 1.4 for comparison.

The best of them all IMO is the SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8 - the one with the rubber focus ring. It is quite radioactive though.

Frankly however, they're all very good. You really can't go wrong, except by spending too much.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
papasito wrote:

which is better ?

Well now, which is better depends on what you are looking for in the lens.
I have had the Hexanon AR 1.7/50 and I still have the Super-Takumar 2/55
The Hexanon I found years ago when I had read that it was the sharpest 50mm lens of its time and wanted to see for myself.
My copy was in excellent condition, but I could see no difference in sharpness between it and other 50mm lenses that I had.
The Super-Takumar on the other hand has such buttery bokeh that I like, that I kept it.
The Hexanon has long ago been sold.
Now there are plenty of other people who love the Hexanon.
I do have a couple of Hexanons that I do like - the 1.8/40 and the 1.4/57
Cheers
Tom

Thank you, very much

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
I have a boatload of 55mm Takumars, from the old Autos to the SMCs. I also have a Super 50mm 1.4 for comparison.

The best of them all IMO is the SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8 - the one with the rubber focus ring. It is quite radioactive though.

Frankly however, they're all very good. You really can't go wrong, except by spending too much.

Thank you Keo,