Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My scanner is out of whack :-(
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: My scanner is out of whack :-( Reply with quote

My Epson 4490 scanner has started to act weirdily.
These are the scans that he is doing now of my negative colour film:

it did so a couple of times, then back to normal so I could scan a few frames from my first Rolleicord film, but then again back to weird and now it does not seem to revert to normal Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might not be defective - mine never was whenever it did stuff like that. First of all check whether the film holder is properly inserted - if it is askew or pushed in too deep, the scanner will miscalibrate. If it is properly aligned and nonetheless shows such an error, clean the calibration zone (the strip left free in the film holders before the actual film area begins). Whenever something (like a film fragment) obstructs that zone, Epson scanners go berserk.

Last edited by Sevo on Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
It might not be defective - mine never was whenever it did stuff like that. First of all check whether the film holder is properly inserted. If it is, clean the calibration zone (the strip left free in the film holders before the actual film area begins). Whenever something obstructs that zone, Epson scanners go berserk.

I am not using the film holder, because it does keep the film away from the surface, reducing the sharpness. So I scan the whole surface, unchecking the "miniature" mode.
But thanks for the info Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mode do you scan in, then? If you use the Epson scan software in transparency mode you usually have to leave the first cm or two empty so that the scanner can find its white point.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved the film strip to leave the first centimeters empty, and it works!
Thanks much!