Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My most expensive lens.. and yes first Leica...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: My most expensive lens.. and yes first Leica... Reply with quote

After seeing some Veijo and Orio pics.... as a new year resolution, I made the target of getting atleast one Leica lens... and was not really hoping to achieve similar to achieving last few years resolution of loosing few pounds of weight... Wink

But resistance is futile...

Today I won my first Leica... and most expensive lens... My fingers were doing some sort of orchestra when I was typing the bidding price..

The lens I won is, Black (LEICA) "Leitz Wetzlar ELMARIT-R 90MM F2.8 2012753"
I am almost sure its not 3Cam... and may be early model...

I didnt have any ref price, and I put my self to max of $200.... and got for $195 + S&H (around $20)..

I have no idea about this lens... except just Leica.. and saw some good results on this (From Orio) with later models... and I think Veijo has early model....

Any idea about this lens (with this number)..

(I will get this lens in next one week... and heck.. need to order EOS->R-mount adapter... if one one has spare for sale, let me know)...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu

Hope it turns out well as you hope. I never yet heard of a bad Leica. That 90 is supposed to be one of Leica's best although I know noting f different models. That I leave to Orio who will surely put us straight. Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks patrickh...

Plus I want to know about the views on the Price.. whether its OK or over priced... Seems like not many lenses are on sale (R 90/2.Cool..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Ballu, congrats on your Leica!
I can not provide direct feedback on your lens because I have the last version of the Elmarit-R 90, which is a different optical design. Here's what I find in the "Identity Card of Leica Lenses" book by Ghester Sartorius:

The first serial numbers of the Elmarit-R first version start with approx. 1.960.000 and end with approx. 3.260.000; therefore, it is quite safe to say that your lens has been one of the first to be produced, most likely between 1964 (year of introduction) and 1968, when a second cam is added to the lens to ensure compatibilty with the then new Leicaflex SL.
You can easily verify this yourself when you have the lens, if the mount has just one cam, then it was built between 1964 and 1967, it if has two cams, it was built between 1968 and 1976 (year of introduction of Leica R3). There is also a third batch of the ELmarit-R 90 first version, made with 3 cams, which ran from 1976 until 1984, year of introduction of the second version.

And this is what I could find on the book. Being quite technical, the author does not indulge in aesthetical comments, except rarely.
But I think it is safe to say that it is a great lens. Perhaps it might not be perfect in the corners or wide open as the last version: but there are also Leica users who say to prefer the first version of Leica lenses for their supposedly better bokeh.
So this is something that you will have to find out yourself! So enjoy!

About the price: I don't have the situation of the market well present for this lens, but the price you paid generally looks quite good to me, even for a first version. I paid my copy of last version (a new old stock) 250 Euros from a shop, but it was a lucky strike, normally the second version is priced higher and sometimes even above the Summicron-R 90 - the reason being that the Elmarit-R 90 is evidently sharper than the Summicron, especially wide open (the SUmmicron has other qualities, though).

-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio.. thats what I was looking for..
Only thing I forgot to write was, the lens was manufactured in Germany. Not sure, whether that will tell anything more.

Another/one more thing, why I chose this focal length. I have multiple lenses in 135mm and 50mm. And I am finding that I ma rarely using any lens above 100/105mm focal length. In 50mm (range), I have CZ Planar 50/1.7 and Super Tak 50/1.4 (along with few more 50, 55 and 58mm lenses.. But I am focused on these 2 mostly). Plus in future, If I will think of going to f1.2 lens, 50-58mm is the only option. So, I kept 50mm out of Leica range.

After following the prices, I shortlisted 35mm and 90mm focal length. Although I have superb Nikon/Nikkor 100/105mm lens, but my Jupiter has one big issue. Its old rangefinder lens, converted to M42 mount. I can not change aperture without movement to focusing ring. Jup 85/2 is superb performer, but cant use stopped down that much. I try to keep that limited to f4 and below.

About nikon, my Nikkor 105/2.5 is really beaten up copy, got for $40. Nikon Series E 100/2.8 (I got that after hearing good words from you) is a gem, but to some extent over corrected. Even without any sharpening, the pics look sharpened (horribly sharp).

I was thinking of some German/Russian 80-100mm lens or Tair 135mm lens.

But eventually, I zero-ed to Leica ELMARIT-R 90MM lens...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
Thanks Orio.. thats what I was looking for..
Only thing I forgot to write was, the lens was manufactured in Germany. Not sure, whether that will tell anything more.

I think that most of the first series lenses were built in Germany - Leitz Canada is relatively recent.
About the Germany-Canada lenses there is a bit of the same debate going on about Germany-Japan lenses for Contax.
Fact is, Contax talk is just bull crap. Zeiss lenses were produced in Japan under strict control of the same instruments and engineers that made the quality control in Germany. But people still stupidly keep thinking that Germany made Contax lenses are better, while often the opposite is true - but not because of Japan - simply because MM lenses are often better than AE lenses, and at the time MM was introduced, most Contax lenses were produced in Japan.
About Leitz, there is people swearing that Canada lenses are inferior. In fact, a difference with Zeiss exists: while Zeiss monitored the whole lens creation process as it happened in Japan, Leitz Canada was a much independent company, with their own engineers and equipment - they even designed some lenses on their own, independently from Leitz Wetzlar (and rumours say that Leitz Wetzlar in most cases edited or even completely changed the Canada designs...)
Anyway I do't have the knowledge to tell for sure how much of all this is true.

-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
resistance is futile...
my first Leica

Congrats Ballu!
It will be interesting to see how you compare it to the excellent nikkor 105 2.5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats mate! I also would get this lens pretty soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@poilu: My Nikkor 105/2.5 is oldest Nikkor-P model. I will sure compare these 2, along with Jupiter-9.

Attila.. thanks.. for your style of photography, 90mm will be perfect (check your some great portrait work)... We really need to put some Leica results here....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Ballu!

Leica lenses are just great - I mean, they really are!
It is not just a myth, it is true. I know since I own one.
And my Elmarit-R 2.8/35 (first version) is said to be one of the weakest Leica lenses.
Hello? How much better can a lens be?

So, I think that even if you have an early version (the serial and the fact that is was built in Germany indicate to that), you will surely love this lens.

(BTW, I agree to Orio that is is not important where a lens was built but how!)

And Ballu, as far as I can judge (I was watching many Leica lenses recently), you got the lens for a very good price.
It is not often that one can find an Elmarit-R 2.8/90 for about € 130,-!
Even the early versions usually go for much more.

So enjoy the performace of this lens and enjoy the "feeling" to use it - this is perhaps even the very best part of a Leica.

P.S.: I use an adpater by Roxsen. It works great. Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just happened to get the same lens recently also. It's the first version of the 90/2.8 but is a 3 cam. I just got the R to EOS adapter this weekend so I haven't had a chance to give it a proper test. But the few indoor shots I took were very sharp with nice color and graduation and real smooth bokeh. I picked mine up with a Leica 135/2.8 from $300 U.S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
@poilu: My Nikkor 105/2.5 is oldest Nikkor-P model. I will sure compare these 2, along with Jupiter-9.

Attila.. thanks.. for your style of photography, 90mm will be perfect (check your some great portrait work)... We really need to put some Leica results here....

I can't wait for your samples from your beautiful family and I would ask you for copies to mflenses.com/gallery

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I can't wait for your samples from your beautiful family and I would ask you for copies to mflenses.com/gallery

Within 2 weeks, we will have gallery up...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool!!