Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My Continuing Struggle with Close-Ups
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: My Continuing Struggle with Close-Ups Reply with quote

All taken with a Kodak Z812IS Bridge camera set for "Macro". They are not true Macros and have all been cropped. I have taken hundreds of close-ups and these are a few from the very rare set of keepers. All are in natural light, hand held and taken in situ as I have no dedicated equipment. What could I have done better?

6 Spot Burnet Moth by skida, on Flickr

Blue Geranium by skida, on Flickr

Dog Rose by skida, on Flickr

Last edited by skida on Mon May 21, 2012 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite good for a bridge camera, so bad Kodak could not survive
sharpening of #1 is too strong to stay natural, #2#3 are nice

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1, love #3 in particular, well done!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for what could be done to improve, I think you've pushed this camera as far as it can go if not further.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My Continuing Struggle with Close-Ups Reply with quote

They look very good to me!

skida wrote:
I have taken hundreds of close-ups and these are a few from the very rare set of keepers. All are natural and taken in situ as I have no dedicated equipment. What could I have done better?

They say, that if you want to reach the highest level in something, you´ll have to practice at least 10,000 hours. So don´t give up yet! Cool

You could try taike pics in softer morning or evening light, perhaps. Small sensor gives a bigger DOF, which may help with macro shots, but then it´s more difficult to get the 3D effect - sharp subject but out of focus background.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love first one, good work!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
As for what could be done to improve, I think you've pushed this camera as far as it can go if not further.

+1....very good work and impressive results from this bridge cam Shocked

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all three are quite nice ! Since the camera probably doesn't have a flash sync port , you might like a small folding reflector . They are quite compact To carry and can really bring out detail in shots like these .

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too think you have taken this camera into realms beyond its comfort zone - much better than could be expected

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. At some time in the future I will be investing in a DSLR, so will have to look into how to set up and use a reflector without scaring off the insects.

I think the Kodak Z812IS has so many warts and defects that it doesn't really have a comfort zone, yet I have managed to get quite a few decent shots (as long as you don't pixel peep).

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wow series.