Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Motorway close up (abstract, Nikon / Mamiya)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Motorway close up (abstract, Nikon / Mamiya) Reply with quote

Hello to the forum!

As my first posting, I would like to show you a nice little abstract picture I took with my Nikon D50 and a Mamiya/Sekor SX 28mm F2,8. I simply love this lens!

Greetings
Benedikt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Benedikt !
The forum have a anti-spam system and it's the reason your photo is not visible
A moderator will fix it soon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks alot!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot!

Oh and welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very nice shoot! Thank you for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to this board! Enjoy your stay (and watch your bank account balance, it rapidly goes down because you see all the wonderful lenses that you, of course, also will need... Wink)

This is an exceptional photo! Very well done.
I also have got a Mamiya Sekor lens, a 1.8/50 in M42. I think that these Mamiya lenses are definitely underrated! Great glass!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! From reading the forum over the last few weeks, I know your opinion is well-founded.

Indeed, i find Mamiya is the forgotton alternative, unfortunately the used prices are rising at eBay, i have missed several lenses I would have liked to get. A 55mm F1,4 would be interesting, and a 21mm F4... But they are almost impossible to get.

The only pity is that the 28mm works only up to a focus distance of appr. 3m with my Nikon, although I use an adapter with an infinity focus correction lens. This really sucks.

What do you guys think about opening a Mamiya M42 research thread? I´m trying to complete the whole range, and I´m very interested in other people´s opinions, also concerning test shots and so on.

Greetings
Benedikt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience with them Sad Yet Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and wellcome
You can find some links in the Links section of course:
http://forum.mflenses.com/other-lenses-and-cameras-t2802.html#27293
and
http://forum.mflenses.com/other-lenses-and-cameras-t2802.html#30356

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedikt - The Maimya 35mm's were very well built cameras, sadly a little over priced so failed to get a decent market share.

They were so good that a certain big company had Maimya produce one of it's early attempts at popular SLRs :

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfolio/about/history/cousins/cousins03-e.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Benedikt and a very nice opening shot. I have not got around to trying Mamiya yet in any format, but will follow your progress with great interest. You do of course have the option of buying pre-AI nikkors at very nice prices and some of them are really magnificent lenses

Smile Smile Smile patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
...You do of course have the option of buying pre-AI nikkors ...

I thought that those lenses can be fitted only on D40/x dSLR Nikon cameras ?!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome! I love these traffic pictures. I took one that was used on an album cover.
http://www.leatherat.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake I misread 50 for 40

OOOps

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks!

With the D50, the Nikkor Q-Auto 135mm F3,5 (Pre-AI) works just fine, there are no mechanical problems whatsoever.
So I am already searching for more interesting Nikkors, for instance the 50mm F2 sounds very nice, I would sell my 50mm Series E F1,8 in case I get one.
Another definitive buy is the 105mm F2,5, but it´s hard to get under 100€, and I use the telephoto range so rarely, I am much more addicted to the wide angle area.
I think the 35mm F1,4 is a real temptation, but this is really expensive. I also don´t understand why there is no AF-version of this lens.

My Nikon favourites are the AF 24mm F2,8, the AF 35mm F2 and the AF 28-105mm F3,5-4,5D, these are all really great. And I´ve tried some, sold all except for these.
It´s just a real pity that manual lenses don´t work with automatic metering below the D200 league. It would be just perfect for me, but so I´m even thinking about getting a Pentax K100D Super or something similar, just for M42 usage. The Canons don´t work for me, I just can´t stand their handling, although their theoretical compatibility also to Leica and Contax is interesting.

By the way, concerning Mamiya, my 28mm lens was lying around at my parents´ home, attached to a defunct MSX500 my mother used from the mid-70s up to the early 90s when somehow the transport broke and she decided for a Minolta Dynax 5.
I´m thinking about having the MSX500 repaired, but it will be more reasonable to get a working one (or DSX or 1000 or both) from eBay I think. But the funny thing is, that the first photos of myself as a baby as well as the first photos I took at the age of 3 or 4 (slightly blurred portrait of my cuddly toy) were made with the 28mm F2,8 and of course the MSX500.
So of course I will never sell this lens, to me it´s loaded with history, but I am especially happy that it´s really a very very good lens and not a piece of Junk.

As I said, my next goal is completing the sekor SX family, which might take some time and money, but it´s definately worth. It´s just so frustrating that it doesn´t really work together with my Nikon, and for me as a student it´s really decadent to buy a second DSLR body just for the M42s. Well, we´ll see. At the moment I´ll stick to things below the 3m focus distance...

Greetings
Benedikt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Canons don´t work for me, I just can´t stand their handling, although their theoretical compatibility also to Leica and Contax is interesting.

Hello and welcome to the group. It is much more then theortical to mount these. MF lens compatibility is "The" reason to look at Canon. If you want endless choices of great glass to mount it is the best option.

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedikt, where are you from?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m from Solingen. You´re from somewhere in Hessen, I read? Marburg?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEAUTIFUL abstract image! Welcome to the forum!

I too own a Mamiya Sekor - a 55/1.4 that is killer sharp (at least to me). I haven't taken enough shots with it yet to really put something tangible up on the boards here. But it is DEFINITELY a good one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenediktW wrote:
Hi folks!

With the D50, the Nikkor Q-Auto 135mm F3,5 (Pre-AI) works just fine, there are no mechanical problems whatsoever.
So I am already searching for more interesting Nikkors, for instance the 50mm F2 sounds very nice, I would sell my 50mm Series E F1,8 in case I get one.
Another definitive buy is the 105mm F2,5, but it´s hard to get under 100€, and I use the telephoto range so rarely, I am much more addicted to the wide angle area.
I think the 35mm F1,4 is a real temptation, but this is really expensive. I also don´t understand why there is no AF-version of this lens.

My Nikon favourites are the AF 24mm F2,8, the AF 35mm F2 and the AF 28-105mm F3,5-4,5D, these are all really great. And I´ve tried some, sold all except for these.
It´s just a real pity that manual lenses don´t work with automatic metering below the D200 league...

Benedikt - You've got a good starting point.

I'd be tempted to replace the 24/2.8 and 35/2 AF's with the manual versions, but then I can meter on my D200. Replacing my 20mm 2.8 AFD with the 20mm 2.8 AIS was one of the best decisions I've made.

The 28-105 AF is a great zoom, along with the 80-200 AF ED they're the only AF lens I still have.

A 20mm is worth keeping an eye out for but they're not cheap.

On the bargain side, keep an eye out for the 135/2.8 Nikkor, very different to the 3.5. Nikon E Series 100/2.8 is cheap but very good. The 55mm 3.5 Micro-Nikkor can be picked up cheaply and the 105mm/f4 micro-nikkor is often overlooked in favour of the 2.8 version despite being excellent in it's own right. You can't really go wrong with any of the 50mm's all are good, but quite different in character. Don't overlook the Soviet made Nikon fitting lens either!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an AF-Nikkor 20mm F2,8 for a short while, I liked it but I sold it for a very good price, and went for the 24mm instead.
My wide angle is now covered by a Sigma 15-30mm F3,5-4,5 which is a useful lens without the typical DX weaknesses (ugly borders etc.) and a good performer in a zoom range I need for many purposes (indoor photos of houses and flats which are for sale).

But now for something completely different:

Click here to see on Ebay

Look what I´ve bought an hour ago! Can´t wait for it... What do you think about the price?

Greetings
Benedikt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you got the lenses for a very good price. Be interesting to see how they all perform

patrickh