Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

More Zuiko 18mm f3.5 love in Brighton (and flek 35) Part 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: More Zuiko 18mm f3.5 love in Brighton (and flek 35) Part 1 Reply with quote

These are all hand held at around f8 or f5.6, painstakingly graded in 16 bit from raw files:

1:

2:

3:

4: Flek will do a good cheesy sunset!!

5: And another!!

6: Back to zuiko:

7:

Critique welcome please!!!!

I know I posted these before but I just wanted to show how much better the raw conversion versions were:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: More Zuiko 18mm f3.5 love in Brighton (and flek 35) Part Reply with quote

spkennedy3000 wrote:

Critique welcome please!!!!

My favorite of the new bunch is the one with the tables. Love the reflections and the silvery B&W.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all especially color ones, b&w pictures have not enough details or contrasts to my taste, also true I not like much B&W photos.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all of these are stunning images! I especially like #3 in the last
set, beautiful.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a big WOW!

I like all of them, but I love the first one. What a clever composition!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive images, thanks for showing. Wonderful light on these pics. The b/w-conversion of the first one is fantastic. Channel mixing or a special plugin?

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for encouraging comments...

BW conversion was done with two hue/saturation layers, first with "colour" blending mode and not touched, second with saturation reduced by 100%. Then you change the saturation and hue on the lower layer until you have the effect you want.

I don't think it is the best method, and actually I am not totally happy with this result. Does anyone have a better way?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spkennedy3000 wrote:

I don't think it is the best method, and actually I am not totally happy with this result. Does anyone have a better way?
Thanks

I always use tritones.
I have posted a link to a page about the tritone process not so much time ago, but I don't have the time to look for it now.
Anyway it can be done with Photoshop directly (no need of plugins, although at least one plugin exist).
It basically consists in using three different tones instead of two. The most common way is to use black as one color (to provide deep shadows), and then use two other colours for the lighter tones.
It it basically a way to get around the main limitation of duotone, that is that with duotones, if you want two different shades of color you must give up the black and therefore the darkest shadows.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio,
Thanks I will google this as a technique.
Thanks for comments,
Simon