Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Monday is Canadian Thanksgiving . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Monday is Canadian Thanksgiving . . . Reply with quote

Monday is Canadian Thanksgiving, and thankfully a statutory holiday Very Happy
The easiest explanation of why we celebrate it is . . .
Wikipedia wrote:
On January 31, 1957, the Canadian Parliament proclaimed:

A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October.[3]

If you want a more detailed explanation, etc . . .
[url] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(Canada) [/url]

It is very much akin to the European Traditions of the Harvest festival. On this Sunday my Lutheran Church will be decorated with produce brought in by members of the congregation- it will also be the day I get together with my family for a turkey dinner.
On Saturday Lana and I will see if the autumn colours are still vibrant north of us - a picnic with an emphasis on photo ops Very Happy

Its on occasions like this we often get asked about things we are thankful for . . .
So let me say . . .
I am thankful for this community of people spread across our world sharing an open mind, creativity, and compassion for each other.
I am also thankful for this venue which resparked my photographic passion giving me a creative outlet and a place where I could make some excellent friends.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all are thankful for your kind words and for having you as a colleague in this forum Wink

Enjoy your day!
(And please, show us the picnic pictures...)

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a great T'Day. Hope you and your family do the right thing and eat to excess together. Smile Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have fun and bring us some pictures Jim !!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear from you Jim.
I hope you and all Canadians have a nice Holiday!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good wishes guys.

Hopefully I'll get many shots during our outing, whether its a true picnic or not Confused
I plan on packing multiple cameras with film - so I can try them out.

When the results join the scanning lineup, maybe they'll see posting before the snow falls Embarassed Rolling Eyes Wink

Jim