Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MITAKON 35MM F0.95 E-MOUNT
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Laurence wrote:

bigeyes, I certainly see your point. Lots of trading and 2nd hand equipment that doesn't carry any warranty at all, that's a
part of 'taking a chance' with some equipment. You win a few, you lose a few. But it's ALL fun!

Yes, but this means that this lens should be compared with second hand equipment, and second hand equipment costs less. For 1 K one can get Schneider, Angenieux or Voigtlander f0.95 lenses (for m4/3), and this is still a no-name lens.

Fermy, I have to agree with you on that. I didn't realize you could get those lenses for around 1k. I don't know anything about
the Schneider or Angenieux, but certainly have heard and seen pretty good results with the Voigtlander. Point well taken. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the recent debacle of SLR Magic 0.95 lens, I would hesitate to put down $1000 for an relatively unknown lens maker, especially one that has association with SLR Magic.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/219911-slr-magic-50mm-f0-95-m-24.html#post2119905

Used lens from known makers can last for decades without the need for a repair, the build quality of this lens is yet unknown, is the maker going to stand by their product for the 5 years warranty? What if one want a full refund? Hopefully this is not as bad as the SLR Magic one (that can't even survive regular transit)

With Voigtlander's 0.95, 1.1, 1.2 lens at around $1000, this 35/0.95 lens is overpriced for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF it's held together with Loktite instead of screws!!!

Let's be honest here, these lenses are a gimmick, and a cheap gimmick at that, the result of this annoying fad of 'bokeh' that is really just amateurish poor technique. Shooting these lenses wide open is a waste of time, any fast lens gives much better IQ stopped down 2 stops and the bokeh is still great as long as the distance to the background is sufficient. Shot wide open, the IQ suffers and not all of the subject is in focus, it looks amateurish and crappy imho, and is simply bad technique.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price is one issue, Quality is another one issue, but I respect designer and his products

Lens looking, copy from website

This gun is heavy !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is it held together by screws or glue?

If it isn't held together with screws then it's worth more like 9.50USD than 950USD.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

If it isn't held together with screws then it's worth more like 9.50USD than 950USD.

A 680g heavy lens! lens body offcourse screwed! it was metal made.

but it is impossible to screw the glass............ do you agree?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, glass is held in place in quality lenses by spacers and retaining rings that are threaded and screwed into place.

If the makers of this lens are affiliated with SLR Magic then that does throw a lot of doubt into the quality of their product. Any company that would sell lenses held together with Loktite glue is a joke.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know? Are you associated with the maker? The much heavier SLR Magic is apparently held together by glue.

Held by glue per se is not a problem, the problem is there are multiple reports of lens losing rangefinder coupling, focusing ring decoupled - i.e. build quality issue. And then SLR magic is reluctant to offer full refund.

The maker of this 35/0.95 lens could be different, the lens could be of great build quality, but it is an unknown at the moment. Given the risk and the fact that Voigtlander's ultra fast lens is selling at the same price range, $1000 is asking for too much I think.

F0.95 wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

A 680g heavy lens! lens body offcourse screwed! it was metal made.

but it is impossible to screw the glass............ do you agree?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: MITAKON 35MM F0.95 E-MOUNT Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:

This picture shows strong purple fringing around the girl's white top

That is the first thing I noticed. Bokeh doesn't look that pleasant either.

SXR_Mark wrote:

This picture shows a very odd area that is in focus. The girl's face looks sharp enough, but what about her feet and the chain next to her? And the chain right in the foreground is sharp. Does this lens have enormous field curvature?

Now that you pointed this out, I wonder whether tilting was used in taking these pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I'll tell you a secret, the "mighty" canon EF 50/1.2 L is also held together using tape )

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fclub.foto.ru%2Fforum%2Fview_topic.php%3Ftopic_id%3D486661%26topic_id%3D486661%26mode%3Dl%26page%3D1%23listStart

Last edited by RTI on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:50 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitakon has made lenses before, but I don't think in this price range.
Link to the 85mm f2

http://forum.mflenses.com/mitakon-mc-85mm-f2-made-in-china-t30160,highlight,%2Bmitakon.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite sure it's not the same Mitakon. Original Mitakon was a Japanese company who made (or perhaps sold) budget stuff. I have their 70-210 F4 zoom (which is reasonable btw).

Producers of this lens have to be the same SLR Magic people. I'll just quote from Leica forum following the debacle of glued 5K Hyperprime:

Quote:
Anyone reading this that has paid for the lens, or put down a substantial deposit, should go through their credit card company or Paypal to get their money back ASAP. This company simply will not be able to sell any of these lenses, and their credibility as an optics firm is dead. I suspect they will "dissolve" and come back under a new name.

I cannot imagine a company that does not have room in the design for screws. This is not a hard problem. The Canon 50/0.95 was made 50 years ago and my two work perfectly. One of them was used in field exercises, and saw some rough use.

And here they are under another name and with another ambitious lens. Hurry-up to pre-order.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
I am quite sure it's not the same Mitakon. Original Mitakon was a Japanese company who made (or perhaps sold) budget stuff. I have their 70-210 F4 zoom (which is reasonable btw).

Producers of this lens have to be the same SLR Magic people. I'll just quote from Leica forum following the debacle of glued 5K Hyperprime:

Quote:
Anyone reading this that has paid for the lens, or put down a substantial deposit, should go through their credit card company or Paypal to get their money back ASAP. This company simply will not be able to sell any of these lenses, and their credibility as an optics firm is dead. I suspect they will "dissolve" and come back under a new name.

I cannot imagine a company that does not have room in the design for screws. This is not a hard problem. The Canon 50/0.95 was made 50 years ago and my two work perfectly. One of them was used in field exercises, and saw some rough use.

And here they are under another name and with another ambitious lens. Hurry-up to pre-order.

Yes it was a Japanese company, but they also made lenses in China as a joint venture. The 85 f2 being one.
Here's more info on the company.
http://micgadget.com/25748/would-it-be-amazing-if-this-f0-95-lens-is-made-in-china/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I don't believe they are the same company as Japanese Mitakon. That zoom that I have is typical Japanese production, solid mechanics, good rubber on zoom and focus, tidy looking. On the other hand 85/f2 Mitakon looks very rough. I think what has happened is that Japanese Mitakon went bust and the brand name was bought by Chinese. I am just speculating though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this. They make or made a 35mm f1.9.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3848/35mm-f1.9-chinese-lens/p1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTI wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I'll tell you a secret, the "mighty" canon EF 50/1.2 L is also held together using tape )

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fclub.foto.ru%2Fforum%2Fview_topic.php%3Ftopic_id%3D486661%26topic_id%3D486661%26mode%3Dl%26page%3D1%23listStart

That's awful, I know the 1.8/50 is a cheap plastic toy, optically good but built so badly they often don't last a year of normal use (a friend has had 3 in less than 2 years) and the EF-S 18-55 is equally bad, but for a very expensive L lens to be held together with double-sided sticky tape is quite ludicrous.

Shame on Canon...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos is speaking.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigeyes wrote:
Photos is speaking.

Nice samples, but I'd like to see some street photos, maybe portraits Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for bragging rights, I don't see anything special about these samples.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
Except for bragging rights, I don't see anything special about these samples.

+1

And that's a lot of purple fringing on the chrome highlights, pretty unnaceptable wide open performance imho, so what if it's acceptably sharp if the CA is that bad.

2-300USD worth maybe, but 950 for a no-name lens of uncertain construction quality is about 3x too much.

What if this thing is held together by glue and it falls apart after a bit of use, I bet there isn't much of a warranty on it, if any at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stanleytung wrote:

exactly.....even I am in Hong Kon right now....I won't really buy or try a CHINA made lens ...... they just a copy cat.... we still can search and buy some good lens out there.... and don't know are they harm for health as well....all QC is just lying in there.. ..

I am sorry but you are just one snobby person from Hong Kong that turns your nose on everything Chinese, that Chinese can not design and build quality stuff. Do you know that most lenses use or derive from the same optical designed invented many, many decades ago?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I still don't see the point of this lens, I can't think of a situation where 0.95 would actually be useful, not with the excellent high ISO performance of modern cameras and I don't see the sense in shooting wide open at 0.95 when all fast lenses improve visibly when stopped down 2 stops. This obsession with very thin dof and 'bokeh' just leads to a lot of crap photographs imho.

High ISO can not duplicate the look of very fast lens. the pictures from your 50mm f1.4 lens will not look like those from the 50mm f0.95 lens at any ISO when shot at their widest aperture. Most people who buy fast lenses, especially the 35mm to 85mm lenses, to create a certain look that slower lenses can not do.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Let's be honest here, these lenses are a gimmick, and a cheap gimmick at that, the result of this annoying fad of 'bokeh' that is really just amateurish poor technique. Shooting these lenses wide open is a waste of time, any fast lens gives much better IQ stopped down 2 stops and the bokeh is still great as long as the distance to the background is sufficient. Shot wide open, the IQ suffers and not all of the subject is in focus, it looks amateurish and crappy imho, and is simply bad technique.

I am just curious. Did you open one of these lenses and saw that it was held together with Loktite?

I respect that you don't like thin depth of field and you like to shoot at f2.8 with fast lenses, but many people have the needs of the 35mm f0.95, so this is the lens for them, and not for you. There is a reason Leica makes a 50mm f0.95.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go back and read the post about the SLRMagic lenses where the owner of the company admitted they were held together with Loktite.

I'm not knocking 0.95 lenses, I'm knocking a 950USD 0.95 lens that looks like it doesn't perform to a level that would justify the price and quite possibly is shoddily built along the same lines as the SLRMagic lenses.

The previous Mitakon lens we saw here - a 2/85 was not very good looking in IQ terms, so there really aren't many good signs to point to yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't understand all the bashing of the new lens. Should it be labeled 'Zeiss' or 'Leica' (and produced by whoever who paid enough to rent the brand name), it sure would receive a completely different welcome. Granted, the Chinese aren't great with branding. The "Mitakon" brand has been used before to sell cheap (=mediocre) Japanese zooms; it was re-used by a Chinese company to market a rather average 85/2; now they're trying to use the same brand to move a 0.95 lens. Poor marketing for sure, but please, people, keep your assumptions about the lens build quality until you handle it personally - or at least read a review in a reputable place that would have a professional look at how it's built.

As to this lens image quality, I don't see anything criminal. Purple fringing? Come on - show me ANY fast lens (faster than 1.4 that is) that does not have purple fringing wide open! 0.95 is an extreme design; a 0.95 wide-angle is even more extreme. Is there anything that compares to this lens in this price range? Do those lenses have less purple fringing?