Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 35-70 3.5 Macro, a real compact gem for my Nex
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
It does seem to be a good AF lens, and it has a good reputation. I'll have to try it.

It's my only AF lens in regular use. Too bad (for use on aps-c) it isn't a bit wider.
Anyway, for the prices it fetches, it's a steal. You can get one instantly for under 50€ on ebay, for much less if you are patient.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a very good lens. I checked the Dyxum site where it shows only the AF versions, and the 3.5-4.5 as 7 elements/7 groups and the f/4 constant as 6/6. The f/4 had slightly higher user ratings. The 35-105 3.5-4.5 (1985 older version) 14 elements/ 12 groups, is even higher rated and maybe similar pricing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a must have. Seems to rival my beloved nikkor 35-70/2.8

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Looks like a must have. Seems to rival my beloved nikkor 35-70/2.8

patrickh

Well, the MF version was good enough for Leica; they rebadged it with the Leica name.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dean.peace wrote:

Of the 35-70s are the following variants:

MD Zoom Rokkor (-X) 35-70mm 1:3.5 365g (1978): The famous ancestor, who was adopted directly from Leitz. Has no macro setting, but two front thread: 62mm for for lens hood and 55mm filters. MD Zoom 35-70mm 1:3.5 355g
(1981) The 'Plain MD' update with a slightly modified design and plug-in lens hood. MD Zoom 35-70mm 1:3.5 365g
(1983) last 'real' version of Minolta, now. With Macro function MD 35-70 1:3.5-4.8 zoom 185g
(?) Cheap lens, probably made ​​by Cosina.

The layout as quoted is a little unclear. I was ready to argue that no real Minolta lens used a f/4.8 aperture, but the problem is just the formatting of the text.

- MD Zoom Rokkor (-X) 35-70mm 1:3.5 365g (1978): The famous ancestor, who was adopted directly from Leitz. Has no macro setting, but two front thread: 62mm for for lens hood and 55mm filters.

- MD Zoom 35-70mm 1:3.5 355g (1981) The 'Plain MD' update with a slightly modified design and plug-in lens hood.

- MD Zoom 35-70mm 1:3.5 365g (1983) last 'real' version of Minolta, now. With Macro function

- MD 35-70 1:3.5-4.8 zoom 185g (?) Cheap lens, probably made ​​by Cosina.

Last edited by dickb on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dickb. That was bugging me and you saw the mistake.

So which one is the best? I didn't read any answer to that question earlier. I have 2 copies of the "Plain MD" version

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the correction dickb

I assume that the first version Rokkor(-X) is better but i could totally be wrong Question Question
and i also have the first version Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The assumption that the first one is best is incorrect, AFAIK. My recollection from years on the manual Minolta forums was that the consensus was that all three real Minolta versions are equally good. According to the site dean.peace is referring to all three Minolta versions were available as Vario-Elmars.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 35 - 70mm Macro is a winner on the Nex-6, here some flower pics -
hope you like it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter has the macro version. Very good lens!!!

At 35 mm, has the same rendering than the plain MD 35/2,8, perhaps something better.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots from Nex-6, congratulations! It feels like I should make some sessions with this lens on my A7 now Cool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I see one of these lenses at a good price I buy it, you never know when the supply will run dry and I'd hate to be without one. Wink
It's a terrific lens, just about perfect as a walkabout lens on the NEX.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens have in fact an 2.8 aperture at 35mm, to get this aperture you have to unscrew the mount of the lens and remove a tiny "lock". It's easy and none descrutive. it become a f 2.8/3.5 Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Seems a very good lens. I checked the Dyxum site where it shows only the AF versions, and the 3.5-4.5 as 7 elements/7 groups and the f/4 constant as 6/6. The f/4 had slightly higher user ratings. The 35-105 3.5-4.5 (1985 older version) 14 elements/ 12 groups, is even higher rated and maybe similar pricing.

I have both auto focus 35-70/4 and 35-105 older version. They are both great shooters buy I tend to shoot longer and tighter and the 35-105 is brilliant from end to end !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebbm wrote:
The lens have in fact an 2.8 aperture at 35mm, to get this aperture you have to unscrew the mount of the lens and remove a tiny "lock". It's easy and none descrutive. it become a f 2.8/3.5 Wink

Could you show me some pics of this please would be very interested in doing the mod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
(sorry for my bad english)
very easy

1)remove the 4 screws that hold the mount
1) there is 2 lock in white metal pieces who block the aperture ring from f3.5 to f22, remove them ( i already remove one, there is only one on the picture and i turn it to dont loose it)

take care to dont let the aperture ring rall away from the lens or the "click ball" will jump !

with MOD, the aperture ring can go below 3.5 ( i think 2.8 )

best regards[/u]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this doesn't look like f/2.8 aperture. Anyway it is really interesting. Do you have some samples wide open with this modification?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first shot wide open ( the "f2.8+-" ) and second at f3.5

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Every time I see one of these lenses at a good price I buy it, you never know when the supply will run dry and I'd hate to be without one. Wink
It's a terrific lens, just about perfect as a walkabout lens on the NEX.

I was looking on ebay at these, and they seem to command a high price ($120 USD).

I think I should buy and sell some of these to finance my A7...... these are very common in Japan!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'sa really good lens - too bad, not 28mm Wide Angle, but i do really love that 35-70/3.5 Lens, without Macro feature should be the best One as MD III Version. I still have not tested that lens with my A7 yet...

"While the first MD-II version of 1978 at 16MP APS-C sensor shows itself lawful services with a clear edge drop, the MD-III version is without Macro Ring from 1981 to absolutely fixed focal length level. The figures below show that the lens radii were changed slightly, probably due to the use of glass with a higher refractive index.

On 24MP full frame MD III version is quite attractive benefits, even if one does not reach the uniformly excellent performance of an MC 1.8 / 35 mm: For 35mm focal length interfere in the corners of the full format, the right ocular chromatic aberrations (CAs), and the sharpness of detail left to be desired. However, the appearance of the A7 is much better than that is many times more expensive Zeiss ZM Biogon 2.8 / 35mm!

At 70mm focal length we have little problems with CAs, and also the Eckschärfe is very acceptable even at f3.5. For the micro-contrast suffers; by stopping this problem can, however, get a grip."

http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/186-minolta-35-70mm-f35

(google translate - i'm currently too lazy to translate that german text into english by myself) I just snapped another great copy these days - this time, without macro feature. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good lens..i was under the impression the the they improved slightly with each model as they got newer..this is thread i do with mine out resolving my nex c3 http://forum.mflenses.com/is-the-rokkor-35-70-f3-5-out-resolving-16mp-t68956.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens in this topic was a constant f3.5, while the AF lens is an F4. Both are amazing lenses. The AF lens is much smaller but sharp...

It's a bargain in the AF world, one of the most common kit lenses for Minoltas around.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As artphoto.ch stated, the non-macro version is the one to get, and better then the macro version, so it's the plain 1981 MD-III version, glad i do own 2 copies into mint like new condition, both with snap-on lens hood. A very fine lens, indeed. Funny thing though, the lens is exactly as old as my younger sister. Wink Cool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Von dem 35-70er gibt es folgende Varianten:

MD Zoom Rokkor (-X) 35-70mm 1:3.5 365g (1978): Der berühmt Urahn, der direkt von Leitz adoptiert wurde.

google translate:

MD Zoom Rokkor (-X) 35-70mm 1:3.5 365g (1978): The famous ancestor, who was adopted directly from Leitz.

Funny, but not unimportant: a correct translation would be 'which was adopted directly BY Leitz'.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
The lens in this topic was a constant f3.5, while the AF lens is an F4. Both are amazing lenses. The AF lens is much smaller but sharp...

It's a bargain in the AF world, one of the most common kit lenses for Minoltas around.

the market for this lens have double it's price in less than 6months, haha.

I don't really get it, sure it's got a history but how good is it really? most 35-70 are out standing, because it's easy to make. The minolta 35-70 f/4 is really overrated, the 35-105 is a better range and IMO a better lens.

This lens now costs 100 dollars used. I got my nikon 35-70 2.8 D for about 250 in mint condition, and that one is a great lens, it's almost a stop faster, and it auto focus, well warrant the extra 150 over this one. Yes it's sharp wide open, it's close to the expensive nikon 24-70, but the range on a 35-70 is just pure crap compare to a 24-70.