Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 100mm/2.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this great lens comparable with the first MC version?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

There are basically 3 different versions:
The first MC II version up to MC-X was 6/5,
the second one from MC-X up to MD II 5/5 constructions with 55 mm filter thread and
the third and last MD III 5/5 reduced the filter thread to 49 mm.

The newer 5/5 version is said to be the better one. However, it is not clear whether there is any performance difference betw. the 2nd and the 3rd version.

My example picture is shot with the 2nd version (MD II with 55 mm filter thread, introduced 1978).

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
papasito wrote:

There are basically 3 different versions:
The first MC II version up to MC-X was 6/5,
the second one from MC-X up to MD II 5/5 constructions with 55 mm filter thread and
the third and last MD III 5/5 reduced the filter thread to 49 mm.

The newer 5/5 version is said to be the better one. However, it is not clear whether there is any performance difference betw. the 2nd and the 3rd version.

My example picture is shot with the 2nd version (MD II with 55 mm filter thread, introduced 1978).

In my short experience with MC/MD Minolta lenses, I can say that the elements of the MC III 24/2,8 and 50/1,4 don't be interchangeable with the MD I version although have the same scheme.The elements of the MD I lenses are smaller than the MC III ones. So, the differences among them don't be only the coated.
They are different lenses.
Perhaps your MD II 100/2,5 is not the same lens than the MDIII one

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a version of MC-II and MD-II. Although it was at different times and with different cameras ,I liked the MC-II better

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergun wrote:
I had a version of MC-II and MD-II. Although it was at different times and with different cameras ,I liked the MC-II better

Well, that's certainly a matter of taste. Each lens construction model delivers a different characteristic. The older MC II is known to have weaker corners which may not be any issue at all when used for portrait photography.

I always prefer lenses which deliver both: Excellent corner to corner sharpness AND nice/smooth bokeh. Wink