Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 85mm/F1.7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 85mm/F1.7 Reply with quote

To show the power of the lens I have used a glass-less MD-AF adapter on my Sony A850 (FF/24MP sensor) which decreases the MFD but do not enable infinity focusing.

The lens was introduced by Minolta 1968 and I have the first "full metal" and most heavy version.
Against the trend of all other Japanese Manufacturers (like e.g. Nikon or Canon) at that time, Minolta based the construction not on the "Sonnar"-type but on the "Planar"-design. Maybe this is one of the reasons why the Minolta lens was that well regarded and is nowadays one of the most sought after "ancient" Minolta lenses. Fortunately I've bought it already in the early 80's for relatively little money. Wink
However, since that time it's one of my favorite Minolta lenses and I've used it much more than any other of my lenses between 50 and 135mm focus length.

Actually this is the first time that I've used this lens on my A850 camera and as I'm rather satisfied with the result also on FF-digital I wanted to share the result also here.

As usual the picture is just resized for presentation on lacks of any PP-manipulation to show the lens and not my Photoshop skills. Wink

The whole picture (F5.6):

100% crop:

A picture of the lens used can be found here (second lens from the left side):
http://forum.mflenses.com/85mm-lenses-of-different-make-t71140.html

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent really from an old fast lens

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp! I have the F2 version of this lens. did not have many chances to use it a lot, but I hope it is not very far behind the F1.7 version..
I remember I read somewhere that the F1.7 is more professional version than the lighter, later F2 version.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/85mm%20Page%201.htm

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alonpo wrote:
Sharp! I have the F2 version of this lens. did not have many chances to use it a lot, but I hope it is not very far behind the F1.7 version..
I remember I read somewhere that the F1.7 is more professional version than the lighter, later F2 version.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/85mm%20Page%201.htm

According http://artaphot.ch/ the later F2 version should be even better in terms of sharpness (at least fully open). However, I think the differences are minimal and are most probably only visible in the slightly different bokeh. That's a matter of taste anyway. So in terms of pure quality your lens is the better one; at least in theory. Wink

I could eventually only compare it to my Minolta AF 85mm/F1.4 lens....

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice lens, but not my favorite at this focal length, I prefer the rendering of my Super Takumar 85/1.9 more, though it may not be as sharp, my Topcor RE 85/1.8 is easily sharper(love this lens).
I need to do another CLA on my Rokkor again, I used too much lube last time and the aperture is all gummed up.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
It's a nice lens, but not my favorite at this focal length, I prefer the rendering of my Super Takumar 85/1.9 more, though it may not be as sharp, my Topcor RE 85/1.8 is easily sharper(love this lens).
I need to do another CLA on my Rokkor again, I used too much lube last time and the aperture is all gummed up.

I can easily do a comparison between the Rokkor and the Takumar as I have both lenses too. Until completion of that test I cannot say anything about my personal preferences regarding those two lenses.
Further, I cannot say much about the Topcor lens. It would be of minimal use for me anyway because of the Exakta mount. On the other hand it would be most probably far too expensive anyway today, as there are fanatic Topcor collectors around, prepared to pay nearly every price for such old lenses and there are not too many copies around for sale. However, it would be nevertheless also interesting to find out where the differences would be in direct comparison to the other two lenses AND to a modern lens. As I have a Topcor 9cm lens in M39/LTM which is not bad either I would assume that the 85mm lens in Exakta mount is quite usable too. Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas - that's a very nice, and quite uncommon, lens you have there . . . Happy to give you 50 Euros any time you're in need of cash !

One thing, though; you say that Against the trend of all other Japanese Manufacturers (like e.g. Nikon or Canon) at that time, Minolta based the construction not on the "Sonnar"-type but on the "Planar"-design. which I'm not sure is absolutely correct. My Canon 85/2 Serenar (circa 1951) and 100/2 (circa 1959-60) lenses are Gauss patterns, as was the mid-60s 85/1.9. At least, they were according to Peter Kitchingman's book on Canon rangefinder lenses. The 100/2 and the 85/1.9 were also made for reflex models - I have both versions of the 100/2.

And to Lightshow - I've never actually handled the Topcor RE 85/1.8 and would love to see pictures from it.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Topcor/Topcon collectors are a bit of a fanatical cult following, I must admit to drinking their water...
Here's some shots from my 85.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/topcorre8518/

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is second version MC-Rokkor, with the rubber waffled grip. Got it about 6-8 weeks ago, so didn't do a lot of shooting with it yet, just mounted it on my XD7 this week to give it it's first film test!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Thomas - that's a very nice, and quite uncommon, lens you have there . . . Happy to give you 50 Euros any time you're in need of cash !

One thing, though; you say that Against the trend of all other Japanese Manufacturers (like e.g. Nikon or Canon) at that time, Minolta based the construction not on the "Sonnar"-type but on the "Planar"-design. which I'm not sure is absolutely correct. My Canon 85/2 Serenar (circa 1951) and 100/2 (circa 1959-60) lenses are Gauss patterns, as was the mid-60s 85/1.9. At least, they were according to Peter Kitchingman's book on Canon rangefinder lenses. The 100/2 and the 85/1.9 were also made for reflex models - I have both versions of the 100/2.

Stephen,

I am not sure if I would give it away for 50 Euros..... Wink

However, I've read this story myself on http://artaphot.ch/ and just wanted to say anything about the lens. I didn't read anything about Canon or Nikon lenses myself as I am simply not interested in their products because I never had something from them....
Though I am not able to judge whether it's right or wrong. Interesting enough that most probably the Minolta lens is somehow differently designed. On the other hand I've also detected some errors in books before. Actually I don't know it myself.
So far http://artaphot.ch/ was always rather trustworthy for me and didn't give me any reason to doubt the information from there.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Yeah, Topcor/Topcon collectors are a bit of a fanatical cult following, I must admit to drinking their water...
Here's some shots from my 85.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/topcorre8518/

As I already stated. Obviously also quite usable. Wink
So far I am also rather satisfied with my Topcor lenses but I am rather Minolta fanatic. Smile

Anyway; very nice pictures.

However, as long as I do not see a direct comparison between two lenses (same camera, same method and same motive) preferably done by myself, I cannot say anything about their differences.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tb_a"]
alonpo wrote:
According http://artaphot.ch/ the later F2 version should be even better in terms of sharpness (at least fully open). However, I think the differences are minimal and are most probably only visible in the slightly different bokeh.

I have both versions, the f/1.7 and f/2. I must say that the slower lens is MUCH sharper wide open compared to the f/1.7 sibling. I'll even go as far as saying that the Rokkor 85/2 is the sharpest 85mm f/2 lens among the few that I own (and that includes OM Zuiko, Pentax and Nikon versions).

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I need to get off my butt and shoot some comparison shots.

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Mine is second version MC-Rokkor, with the rubber waffled grip. Got it about 6-8 weeks ago, so didn't do a lot of shooting with it yet, just mounted it on my XD7 this week to give it it's first film test!

That would be the 3rd version of MC, aka MC Rokkor X.
Scroll down to the bottom to help ID which is which.
http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/index.html

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

That would be the 3rd version of MC, aka MC Rokkor X.

You're right, it is!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas - thanks for the interesting link. I take your point about errors in books but think Kitchingman's one should be reliable - the lens diagrams in it are the same as published by Canon in their literature.

As for the 50 euros offer, well . . . I'll up that to 60 Euros Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:

I have both versions, the f/1.7 and f/2. I must say that the slower lens is MUCH sharper wide open compared to the f/1.7 sibling. I'll even go as far as saying that the Rokkor 85/2 is the sharpest 85mm f/2 lens among the few that I own (and that includes OM Zuiko, Pentax and Nikon versions).

You're right, especially wide open the F2 version is the sharper one. However, the older MC F1.7 (my lens as shown above) has the softer bokeh (NOT the newer MD F1.7 which is a different construction and is in terms of bokeh like the F2 version).
So depending on your needs either lenses could be the better choice. Wink
For classical portraits I would say that the older version wins (at least for my taste).
I have only the Pentax Super-Takumar 85mm/F1.9 (M42) and in direct comparison to my old MC Rokkor 85mm/F1.7 I tend to say that also in terms of sharpness the Rokkor wins. I will do a direct comparison in the foreseeable future....

A very good comparison of the different 85mm Rokkors can be found here: http://www.rokkorfiles.com/85mm%20Page%201.htm