Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8 test images
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8 test images Reply with quote

I've just posted a set of 10 Trioplan 100/2.8 images over at Flickr, showing its rather odd bokeh and the resolution it achieves. The link is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulcowan/sets/72157611911916336/

Several of the images are 100% crops of small sections of my Canon 5D shots, 'cos you can't tell anything about a lens from scaled-down pictures.

Enjoy if you like ... I'm off to bed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a fun club here of this lens, story started with "Maxim's bicycle" Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots, but I suggest to take portraits with it as opposed to bicycles (as Attila suggests) Razz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is just beautiful.

My aim down on the seafront yesterday was largely to try to find faults with the lens. It's at least as important to understand what a lens does badly as it is to know what it does well ... if we know how to avoid any bad result we won't accidentally end up with bits in a photo where the lens's weaknesses are apparent.

I wouldn't want to shoot a portrait with this if there was some sort cluttered, backlit tree-branch/leaf/sky area behind because the chances are the bokeh would be horrible and a Sonnar would do a better job. If the background is uncluttered, with fairly large areas of different colour, then the bokeh would be lovely and smooth with the Trioplan.

Those with more experience can now tell me I am wrong Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right! One needs to know the strengths and weaknesses of a certain lens first to avoid unwanted results.

BTW: I'm one of the few who does not like the bokeh of Sonnar (derivatives) at all. I even don't like the bokeh of the Sonnar 180/2.8... Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For portrait work I'd use the Trioplan 100/2.8 all the day instead than Sonnar.
And if you want to have some nice soft focus effect just use that lens wide open (at least this works with my very old copy).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, I was thinking about lens choices in the bar last night (it is where all my best thinking happens Wink ). The experts in search of mathematical perfection have persuaded everybody that there is an ideal optical result which everybody should aim for. The lens manufacturers and the public all accept this as a self-evident truth and strive for results that reflect some sort of identikit gold standard of excellence.

But what if there is no real "good" or "bad", there is just different? Then the lens-makers are really no different from farmers who have almost wiped out livestock/vegetable diversity in the race to achieve rapid growth and supermarket-approved appearance regardless of everything else, including flavour.

Who is to say that the saturation and contrast achieved through multi-coating is actually "better" than the more subdued results from a single-coated lens? It is certainly good to have multi-coated lenses available but for artistic reasons, might we not sometimes want the results from single-coated lenses?

Does single-coating actually lift the foreground object out of its background, creating a sense of depth. In other words, is this effect:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1062/1455964245_f6920c669c.jpg?v=1191422091
the result of the lens? I don't know how I could reproduce that using a modern camera and lens. If the faded background is a consequence of the coating, then the choice between MC and single or uncoated becomes a major artistic decision, not an automatic technical default.

The same for bokeh (which everyone agrees is a subjective judgement). Which is your favourite type, out of interest?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just viewed that picture of the old black car in front of a river and a city. As everything is sharp in the picture there's no such thing as "bokeh". It's just air pollution which makes the background appear "hazy". This can easily be reproduced, be it with old or new lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
I just viewed that picture of the old black car in front of a river and a city. As everything is sharp in the picture there's no such thing as "bokeh". It's just air pollution which makes the background appear "hazy". This can easily be reproduced, be it with old or new lenses.

Oh, is that the cause? I thought it was something to do with the lens contrast.

It's getting hard to find decent air pollution these days Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's pollution. Sunny day, river, water, so humidity and steam. Just like in about every landscape painting, atmospheric haze is something very useful in giving dimensionality to an image.

Anyway you have to discover each lens advantages and faults trough use, there's no fixed formula, especially with old lenses that were mostly made by hand (or with very little automated machinery) out of real glass.

Today people want sharpness and contrast from a lens, or at least this is what marketing told them to want.

I instead know about a million of situations where I don't want razor cut sharpness and/or intense contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are rapidly becoming my hero, Alessandro.