Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Optik Lenses - Your Opinions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Meyer Optik Lenses - Your Opinions? Reply with quote

Those of you who have the Meyer Optik line, I would love to have your opinions on the good, bad, and ugly.

I once had the f:1.9/75mm Primoplan, but that was a LONG time ago, so all I remember was that it seemed quite pleasing at the time. That is, of course, subjective, especially since I was "wet behind ears" at the time.

I don't know if it's "upper middle age crisis" or what, but I'm acutely interested in the various manufacturers' older lenses. Maybe it's a switchover from the old days of working on classic cars - since I no longer do that kind of stuff, and I'm getting a bit old for thinking about girls more than 50% of the time Laughing , my "male" interest tends to go back to the old photographic equipment.

My goal is to purchase and try out Meyer Optik lenses to start with. Then go to other lesser-known (at least today) brands. I still have good memories of that Primoplan.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 50mm F1.8 and 135mm F2.8.

Optically good, very well built and I like zebra look...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all with a few exceptions let me know which focal length would you like to take.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Primagon 4.5/35 Reply with quote

Hello,

I had the Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Primagon 4.5/35. Its a very good lens, enough sharp starting from f:8 but its didn't realise to have distorsions (unlike Porst MC 2.8/35mm) but its too dark. Now I have replaced it with the CZJ 2.4/35 Flektogon.
See: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=2680

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I have all with a few exceptions let me know which focal length would you like to take.

Riku, Attila, montecarlo: Thank you! Great information! I am surprised that it looks like there may more Meyer Optik owners than I thought there would be.

I'll address Attila's offering first: I would like to know, just in your subjective view, if you feel the Domiplan 75 would be worth my "taking a look" at it. I would want to know your feeling of "sharpness", "bokeh", and "color rendition", as well as "uniqueness" of this particular lens. I've always sort of liked the 75mm focal length for the types of portraiture that I take (head and shoulders, possibly half-body portraits) where I am not worried about getting in too tight to the model.

I would be interested in your views on "softness" for portraiture; is there an inherent sort of softness wide open that would be pleasing in portraiture?

Inevitably, is it worth my search for the 75? I don't mind spending a little money, and usually I can get a large portion of my money back, so that's no big deal.

Or...should I be looking at some other similar lens? I have the Jupiter 9 (85mm) which I consider a good (no, actually it's EXCELLENT) portrait lens, but since I like "equipment" in general, it's always fun to look at other possibilities.

As always, thank you. Larry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Attila wrote:

I'll address Attila's offering first: I would like to know, just in your subjective view, if you feel the Domiplan 75 would be worth my "taking a look" at it. I would want to know your feeling of "sharpness", "bokeh", and "color rendition", as well as "uniqueness" of this particular lens. I've always sort of liked the 75mm focal length for the types of portraiture that I take (head and shoulders, possibly half-body portraits) where I am not worried about getting in too tight to the model.

I would be interested in your views on "softness" for portraiture; is there an inherent sort of softness wide open that would be pleasing in portraiture?

Inevitably, is it worth my search for the 75? I don't mind spending a little money, and usually I can get a large portion of my money back, so that's no big deal.

Or...should I be looking at some other similar lens? I have the Jupiter 9 (85mm) which I consider a good (no, actually it's EXCELLENT) portrait lens, but since I like "equipment" in general, it's always fun to look at other possibilities.

As always, thank you. Larry

I think you would say 1.9/ 75 Primoplan, not Domiplan ? This is the most expensive and one of the rarest Meyer lens. I saw only 3 copies in the last 2 yrs on Ebay and I never seen any locally. I bought one month ago, this is great lens for portraits, but almost impossible to find.

More realistic choice 2.8/100mm Trioplan kind of "magic" lens produce looks old soft images. I especially love for portraits 2.8/100mm Pentacon and Orestegor lenses these are also not common , but show up in every two month on Ebay.
Very common lens and very good one for portraits 135mm f2.8 Pentacon,Orestegor in any variant (on Nikon , because focal length will be shorter).

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/meyer/
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/pentacon/
http://www.pbase.com/hqdesign/blonde
http://www.pbase.com/hqdesign/brunette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so MUCH Atilla. I will "chew" on all this information a while, and then I will go full tilt and find a lens to start with in my incipient search for surprises.

It is very interesting that the Meyer Optik Primoplan is so rare! I hesitate to even tell you how I "let it go"...it was an act of stupidity on my part. My only excuse could be "I was younger then"... Embarassed

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buyer was really lucky, current value of this lens at least 400 USD.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 200/4 is very nice aswell. Delivers sharp and colourful images wide open.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, one of the best Meyer. Quality is close to best ones like CZJ Sonnar 200mm or Nikkor best ones.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About Meyer-Optik lenses... This is part of bigger article "The most popular M42 lenses" from Chip Foto-Video digital 7.2005:

It means: "Meyer Goerlitz (later Pentacon) - East German producer inexpensive and usually a few weaker lens, very popular at us. So to speak complementing Russian lens - there are good wide-angle lens, decent standard lens and worse long-focal lens here."

I don't agree with this at all. My cousin has an Orestegor 200/4 and IMHO it's very good. I want to borrow this lens Smile
A few months ago I used Pentacon Electric 135/2.8 and I was very satisfied from results.
Greetings,
Hubert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxim wrote:

I don't agree with this at all. My cousin has an Orestegor 200/4 and IMHO it's very good. I want to borrow this lens Smile
A few months ago I used Pentacon Electric 135/2.8 and I was very satisfied from results.
Greetings,
Hubert

Maxim (Hubert?),
I agree with your disagreement! Laughing
My experience with Meyer lenses is quite limited. However, the Pentacon 135 and 200 that I have, are very nice performers - actually I would differentiate, Pentacon 135 very good, Pentacon 200 just good - especially if one thinks of the money I spent to get them, because I paid for Pentacon 135mm only 7 Euros (!), and for Pentacon 200mm 20 Euros, which is still cheap for a 200mm lens.
On the other hand, the one wide angle I have from Meyer, the Lydith 30mm, does seem average lens to me, surely good enough for the little money (how much did I pay for it Attila?), but nothing to really write home about.
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have almost all Meyer lenses, you said the best ones.

This is my ranking on Meyer Lenses:

35mm Lydith,50mm f1.8 Oreston,75mm f1.9 Primoplan, 100mm f2.8 Orestor,100mm f2.8 Trioplan, 135mm f2,8 Orestegon,200mm f4 Orestegon,
300mm f4

These are the best ones.

Any others so,so and all of them worst than CZJ equivalent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio - I agree with U Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
These lenses are good, because... they are good and relatively cheap (but prices are still increasing). I hope, I'll grab Primoplan 75/1.9... but now I'm short of money Smile
Attila - right, CZJ lenses are great, but more expensive (prices of v. good condition lenses in polish auctions: Pentacon 135/2.8: ~25 - 35 €; Sonnar Zebra 135/3.5: ~45 - 65 €; MC Sonnar 135/3.5: ~100 €, MC Sonnar 135/2.8 for Praktica PB: ~75 €). Sorry for this "off-topic" Smile Good night, everybody
Hubert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxim wrote:
Orio - I agree with U Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
These lenses are good, because... they are good and relatively cheap (but prices are still increasing). I hope, I'll grab Primoplan 75/1.9... but now I'm short of money Smile
Attila - right, CZJ lenses are great, but more expensive (prices of v. good condition lenses in polish auctions: Pentacon 135/2.8: ~25 - 35 €; Sonnar Zebra 135/3.5: ~45 - 65 €; MC Sonnar 135/3.5: ~100 €, MC Sonnar 135/2.8 for Praktica PB: ~75 €). Sorry for this "off-topic" Smile Good night, everybody
Hubert

I'm also looking for a Primoplan 75/1.9. I just missed the recent one on eBay, which went for about $275. I had earmarked up to $400, but decided to back off in order to build my "camera fund" a little more first.

I'm nostalgic for the lens, as I had one years ago and remember loving it, even though I know there are sharper lenses available for much less money. Sometimes it's just fun to have something, strictly for the memory. I guess that's part of the craziness of this whole business. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Meyer Oreston 1.8/50, and it seems to perform quite adequately, see http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_oreston.html

Veijo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of Meyer bests, yes.