Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer-Optik Görlitz Domiron 2/50 Exakta
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Meyer-Optik Görlitz Domiron 2/50 Exakta Reply with quote

Rare lens highly priced and crap! Smile

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/meyer/domiron_2_50/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap looking or crap IQ?

Or both...?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IQ look at the gallery below the picture I made today.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm - bit of a body cap ain't it...?

I'd have thought it would have been better with regard to flare since the front element is quite deeply recessed.

The bokeh is also, shall we say, "interesting"....... Confused

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens looks like a Tessar scheme what is excellent like Nikkor 55mm f3.5 and Olympus OM Macro 50mm f3.5 this lens quality is pretty crap at every aperture no exception. Good for display only.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does have "Domi" as part of it's name......

Might partly explain the disastrous IQ.... Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look bad to me...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Orio - it's not bad bad, but it is a very rare lens for the Exakta and as such commands a high price.

It's just a pity that it's IQ doesn't seem to match the price tag it fetches. Confused

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
It does have "Domi" as part of it's name......

Might partly explain the disastrous IQ.... Laughing

Well, that's a common prejudice, isn't it?
I am rather surprised about my Meyer Domiplan 2.8/50, really.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, you have to understand you need to put lens hoods on those old single coat lenses. Half of these pictures are made worse by a flare, which could be avoided with a lens hood.
If I had to judge my silver Helios-40s without the hood, they would look crap, too.
No, wait, even the Helios-40-2 looks craps if you shoot backlit and you don't hood. I had to trash half of Carnival pictures made with Helios-40-2 because of the flare caused by no hood.
The other half, are amongst the best pictures I ever took.
That's the difference it makes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Carsten: The fact that your Domiplan "surprised" you with it's performance seems to indicate that your expectations may not have been that high for it either. Wink

@ Orio: The Domiron's front element is recessed so the lens body almost acts like a lens hood on its own.

Perhaps not enough?

Anyway, I'm still with Attila on this - it doesn't live up to it's status.

Last edited by bob955i on Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of old lenses doesn't flair like this and not just flair the problem sharpness just same than a noname Japanese lens sharpness, compare with Biotar 58mm f2 Smile or Scheneider Xenon etc. This lens one of the worst 50mm lens what I ever had.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we judge by different standards. I look at your bulding picture (3rd column, second from top), and I see:

- ZERO chromatic aberration in a situation where many lenses, even much more expensive, might have shown some. I consider this not only acceptable, but a truly remarkable result.

- pleasant contrast and decent colour saturation

- more than acceptable detail, I can see all the decorations in the white curtains at the right. Detail on white curtains is usually the first thing that goes if the lens is bad. I can even perceive some glass structure in the yellow glass panels in the centre, although I suspect they are somehow back focused. Nothing spectacular, but I would not call this crappy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay! I guess you have right my point of view is different I am glad if you think this is not a crapy lens on the next fair I will try to take it. Today I just lend from seller to make this test shoots.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Okay! I guess you have right my point of view is different I am glad if you think this is not a crapy lens on the next fair I will try to take it. Today I just lend from seller to make this test shoots.

Hey Attila, you might be right also, I don't have the Truth in my pockets! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
@ Carsten: The fact that your Domiplan "surprised" you with it's performance seems to indicate that your expectations may not have been that high for it either. Wink

Razz Yeah. You got me! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten wrote:
Razz Yeah. You got me! Wink

Yeah I know..... Laughing