Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya Sekor CS 2.8/21mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I thought I should register and reply here as I have three (!) of these lenses and are willing to part with them. Not sure where I got them, but I was once planning to convert them to cinema lenses. That seems a bit of a shame now after reading all this, so I think I will sell them to those who have apparently been looking for them forever.
One was converted to Canon EOS mount, the other two are original.

I should probably put them up on Ebay, but thought I would post here first.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobiasfjp wrote:
Hi all, I thought I should register and reply here as I have three (!) of these lenses and are willing to part with them. Not sure where I got them, but I was once planning to convert them to cinema lenses. That seems a bit of a shame now after reading all this, so I think I will sell them to those who have apparently been looking for them forever.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobiasfjp wrote:
Hi all, I thought I should register and reply here as I have three (!) of these lenses

Quite incredible Wink ... during the past 15 years I have seen in total only three such lenses for sale ...!

May I ask you to publish the serial numbers? It might give us a first clue about its minimal production numbers ...

tobiasfjp wrote:

and are willing to part with them. Not sure where I got them, but I was once planning to convert them to cinema lenses. That seems a bit of a shame now after reading all this, so I think I will sell them to those who have apparently been looking for them forever.

That's quite generous! I'm sure on ebay you would get quite a good price; however I was lucky to find one locally for a very good price. The seller was well aware of its rarity, but decided not to sell the via ebay, too.

S

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Yes of course. The serial numbers on my lenses are:

10589 (the Canon Eos mount converted one)

So I guess that would indicate at least 589 lenses made?

Grtz.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobiasfjp wrote:
Hi Steve,

Yes of course. The serial numbers on my lenses are:

10589 (the Canon Eos mount converted one)

So I guess that would indicate at least 589 lenses made?

Grtz.

Thanks! Yes, I think so too - at least abaout 600 lenses made. Up to now I knew only the S/N of my own lens (10110), since I never did bother to ask Roland Stauber (http://mamiya-nc-m42.mflenses.com/index.htm) about his sample.

Thanks again!

S

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be correct about these serial numbers, but be aware in the computer Era, things have a check digit or check sum. an easy example is the ISBN of a book or the bar code on a box.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody got images taken with the rare things?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

Yes, me. Talking about 24MP full frame images as usual: 95% of the image field (excluding the extreme corners) are quite good already wide open. Stopping down to f5.6 and f11 increases corner performance, of course.

Keeping in mind that the Mamiya CS 2.8/21mm is one of the smallest f2.8 superwides for SLRs, we can say that it is way better than the Olympus Zuiko 3.5/21mm, but a bit inferior to classics such as the Nikkor Ai 3.5/20mm, the AiS 2.8/20mm or the Minolta MC 2.8/21mm and MD 2.8/20mm. All these statements are primarily about detail resolution at infinity, and not about things like bokeh or flare resistance.

Unlike the Olympus 3.5/21mm, the Mamiya CS 2.8/21mm has floating elements and should keep its performances also at close distances.

I can publish a few images at f2.8, f5.6 and f11 tomorrow.

S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

The Sekor E 1.7/50 and the Sekor E 3.5/28 feel cheapish (too much plastics), but the other lenses in the lineup are well made - even if their aperture ring is made from plastics. The 2.8/28mm for instance is a complex [8/7] construction, and the 3.8/80-200mm zoom was tested as best tele zoom by Walter E. Schön (http://www.weschoen.de/vita.html) in his extremely elaborate tests for German Color Foto magazine (about 30-40 tele zooms in the 80-200 range were compared).

S

Recently, I've been reading a lens test special by the French "Photo Cinema Magazine" and they made about the same remarks as you regarding the abundant use of plastics in the construction of the Sekor E lenses - on the other hand, they labeled the 28 mm f/3.5 and 50 mm f/1.7 as two of the very best lenses of their focal range. So, in optical terms, the Sekor E/EF range was outstanding.

You tend to repeat that the Mamiya 3.8/80-200mm zoom was tested as the best tele zoom lens in the "mammoth" test done by Walter E.Schoen - that's not exact, since the Minolta MD 75-200 mm f/4.5 got that label, the Mamiya 3.8/80-200mm being just one of the leaders, together with the lenses made by Leica (the "copy" of the Minolta), Canon (nFD 80-200 mm f/4, nFD 70-210 mm f/4), Nikon (Nikkor 80-200 mm f/4), Konica (Hexanon UC 80-200 mm f/4 ) and Fuji (Fujinar 80-200 mm f/4.5). What distinguished the Mamiya 3.8/80-200mm was the sharpness at the longer focal lengths which didn't decrease as much as with the other lenses.

Wish you a happy new year 2022

Volker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put one of the lenses up on Ebay with a starting bid of €1 to give someone else the chance to own it. I think I will hold on to the Canon mount one for now and try it out on film.

Grtz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marktplaats ad disappeared fast I noticed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

? It should still be there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake. The ad popped up with the general M-S CS search I have in my Marktplaats account but not in a later more specified search.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the records: One of these lenses recently was sold on ebay for a whoopping $746.39 ... just in case you plan to buy one Wink

S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
For the records: One of these lenses recently was sold on ebay for a whoopping $746.39 ... just in case you plan to buy one Wink

S

If I was interested in an EF mount lens of that focal length it will not be better than a secondhand Canon EF 20mm 2.8 USM at roughly 40% of that price. Manual focus is not bad either with the older EF designs.

I guess that price has to be made on Ebay, Catawiki or an Austrian auction site for rare lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
If I was interested in an EF mount lens of that focal length it will not be better than a secondhand Canon EF 20mm 2.8 USM at roughly 40% of that price. Manual focus is not bad either with the older EF designs.

I guess that price has to be made on Ebay, Catawiki or an Austrian auction site for rare lenses.

You could also go with a Minolta AF 2.8/20mm, certainly a technically better (albeit larger) lens. Currently available for CHF (USD/EUR) 100.-- here in Switzerland.

S

PS I'll take my Mamiya Sekor CS 2.8/21mm on a walk tomorrow, in one of the ancient Swiss towns ... stay tuned Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

Taken today with the Sony A7II at f5.6:

Landscape in the alpine foothills near Lake Zurich (Switzerland). The "Fuji-style" mountain in the center is mount Rigi, and the "cracked" mountain at the right side is mount Pilatus, near Lucerne. Mount Pilatus, known as "Mons fractus" in Roman times, still is called "Fräkmünt" (= "fractured mountain") as well. Its slightly puzzling name Pilatus is based one the ancient legend that the corpse of Pontius Pilate - governor of Judaea at the time of Jesus' death - came to rest in a small lake near the summit of mount Pilatus. Whether true or not - fact is, that this very lake was considered to be "haunted" for hundreds of years until it finally was drained in the 16th century.

Landscape in the alpine foothills near Zug (Switzerland). Mount Pilatus in the background, just visible between the two snowy hills.

More images to follow tomorow.

S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the purple snow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a local auction, there's a Mamiya CS 2.8/21mm offered; its starting price is CHF 190.-- (about the same in EUR or USD).
PM me if interested.

I am not the seller, and I have nothing to do with the seller, however I think the price is rather reasonable given the fact that the Mamiya 2.8/21mm is much rarer than the Mamiya 4/21mm lenses (which currently are offered in the 300 ... 750 UD range; no 2.8/21mm available).

Mods please remove if posting is inappropriate.

Thanks, S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
In a local auction, there's a Mamiya CS 2.8/21mm offered; its starting price is CHF 190.-- (about the same in EUR or USD).
PM me if interested.

I am not the seller, and I have nothing to do with the seller, however I think the price is rather reasonable given the fact that the Mamiya 2.8/21mm is much rarer than the Mamiya 4/21mm lenses (which currently are offered in the 300 ... 750 UD range; no 2.8/21mm available).

Mods please remove if posting is inappropriate.

Thanks, S

There's a local 21mm f4 ES for some interesting price, would you recommend it for A7II sensor ? What adapter would I need ? Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:

There's a local 21mm f4 ES for some interesting price, would you recommend it for A7II sensor ? What adapter would I need ? Thanks

Does the ES lens share the optical formula of the SX lens ? If that's the case, I'd rather recommend it for the A7II since I'm using that camera with the SX 21 mm f/4. Strong points : good and nearly uniform sharpness wide open, excellent from f/8 (center, borders and extreme corners), very low distorsion and vignetting, good behaviour against the light. Weak points : due to the the lack of floating elements, the sharpness suffers quite a lot at closer distances.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsatian2017 wrote:
kiddo wrote:

Does the ES lens share the optical formula of the SX lens ? If that's the case, I'd rather recommend it for the A7II since I'm using that camera with the SX 21 mm f/4. Strong points : good and nearly uniform sharpness wide open, excellent from f/8 (center, borders and extreme corners), very low distorsion and vignetting, good behaviour against the light. Weak points : due to the the lack of floating elements, the sharpness suffers quite a lot at closer distances.

I have read they share same formula, but I'm not sure. This one comes pretty cheap for a uwa lens , that's the reason I'm interested in it, especially if there's any way to adapt it properly to Sony. I wouldn't use it for min focus distant, what do you mean close distance? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it compare with the Konica 21mm 2.8.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
How does it compare with the Konica 21mm 2.8.

I seem to have missed this question; I'll run a quick side-by-side comparison of the Mamyia Sekor CS 2.8/21mm and the Konica AR 2.8/21mm, adding the Minolta AF 2.8/20mm for reference. The two MF lenses have become incredibly expensive lately, while the Minolta AF is available at ridiculously low prices right now.

And the Minolta is much better.

Details here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/test-2-8-21-konica-ar-vs-mamiya-cs-vs-minolta-af-2-8-20-t84816.html

S

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mamiya Sekor CS 2.8/21mm Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Since I've been bying my first SLR, a Mamiya ZM, at the age of 15, I've been looking for that lens - now I finally was able to find a copy and buy it:

There's information on nearly anything on mflenses.com, but it seems that the Mamiya Sekor CS 2.8/21mm hasn't been properly described and tested yet here on the forum. The lens section reveals a rather modern construction - positive leading for reduced distortion, and with a classical wideangle rear side with two positive lenses, originally developed by Nikon for the 2.8/24mm Nikkor:

It'll take a few days until the lens arrives, but as soon as I have it, I'll give some more information.

The lens has a excellent reputation if we can trust the few owners who have published information:
http://herron.50megs.com/cs21mm.htm
http://mamiya-nc-m42.mflenses.com/cs_21_2.8.htm

I'm really curious how it behaves, especially since the last 21mm i bought (the Olympus 3.5/21mm) was rather disappointing ...

S

In 1984, I bought the first 35mm camera. The cheapest options to import in Shanghai are the Mamiya ZM quartz controlled shutter and the Yashica FX3 with fully mechanical and electronic metering. Finally, my father suggested buying Yashica because it has the same Mount as Contax.