Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya / Sekor Auto 55mm f1.8 Lens - M42 screw fit
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Mamiya / Sekor Auto 55mm f1.8 Lens - M42 screw fit Reply with quote

Hi,
I have been watching Mamiya / Sekor Auto 55mm f1.8 Lens - M42 screw fit on eBay with bidding opening at £30.00. I have seen that the
SX version in M42 mount does not fit with most M42 adapters. Is there any way such as markings to distinguish this lens from the similar lens
also in M42 mount which will fit on the with the M42 adapters. Hope someone can give me some pointers. Is this lens worth the price above that quoted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mamiya-Sekor-Auto-55mm-f1-8-Lens-M42-screw-fit/223226638808?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2661

Thanks,
Melmount

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The common problem with various M42 lenses without A/M switch is that the aperture pin on the bottom of the lens has to be pushed by the M42 adapter in order to enable the usage of the lens stopped down; i.e. at all apertures.
I didn't find a M42 adapter up to now which works with all of these lenses. Therefore I fix the aperture pin in the pushed condition with a drop of super glue (Loctite, etc.).
This works fine and such lenses are then usable on all kind of M42 adapters at all apertures.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Mamiya / Sekor Auto 55mm f1.8 Lens - M42 screw fit Reply with quote

melmount wrote:
Hi,
I have been watching Mamiya / Sekor Auto 55mm f1.8 Lens - M42 screw fit on eBay with bidding opening at £30.00. I have seen that the
SX version in M42 mount does not fit with most M42 adapters. Is there any way such as markings to distinguish this lens from the similar lens
also in M42 mount which will fit on the with the M42 adapters. Hope someone can give me some pointers. Is this lens worth the price above that quoted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mamiya-Sekor-Auto-55mm-f1-8-Lens-M42-screw-fit/223226638808?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2661

Thanks,
Melmount

The SX version Of the Mamiya has a rim around the rear of the lens so that it may prevent it mating properly with adapters to fully depress the aperture pin.
Of course this rim can be filed off but it can be a little messy doing so.
SX lenses are usually clearly marked "SX" on the bezel at the front of the lens.
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the all black non SX version. What I should of bought is the Chrome nose version, which is the better lens.
So if your looking at pics from the Mamiya Sekor 55mm f1.8 online, make sure you know which version the pics came from.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't buy a lens with SX mention on the front ring. I think everything else is ok.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to buy the mamiya 1,8/55 you can look for the last versión, optically the better.
The 6/5 scheme has the beso IQ.
You can find it in DTL o en SX lenses.
In DTL versión, look for the 3 elements in 3 groups in the frontal optic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two versions, I think the later one without the SX pin and a SX, that I either removed the pin - or ground it off with a Dremel ? I can't the lens at the moment to check.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Mamiya auto 55mm f1.8 Reply with quote

Thank you all for your valuable input, much appreciated. I made an offer of £30.00 which was accepted. It would appear that lens is not an SX as there was no mention of SX anywhere on the lens. I should have it in a few days and will how it works and performs. Again thanks to all who provided input.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
If you want to buy the mamiya 1,8/55 you can look for the last versión, optically the better.

I agree the 6/5 version is the best, but the 6/5 version is the Chrome nose one, which I'm pretty sure was built before the all black 6/4 version.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
papasito wrote:

I agree the 6/5 version is the best, but the 6/5 version is the Chrome nose one, which I'm pretty sure was built before the all black 6/4 version.

Yes, a very good lens indeed.
In my experience better than the 1.4/55 for both sharpness and bokeh.
I once had both, but sold the 1.4/55
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g

The chrome nose is a 6/4 formula lens, as you can see in the old Mamiya advertising of TL lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
walter g wrote:
papasito wrote:

Yes, a very good lens indeed.
In my experience better than the 1.4/55 for both sharpness and bokeh.
I once had both, but sold the 1.4/55
Tom

The Rollei used to have the Mamiya 55/1,4 (as rolleinar MC lens)

But in the range of 1,8 normal, was the planar 50 mm and not the mamiya 55 mm. Both very good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
walter g

The chrome nose is a 6/4 formula lens, as you can see in the old Mamiya advertising of TL lenses.

According Herron's lens lists the Mamiya Sekor ES (older bayonet) and SX (M42) 55mm 1.8 have the 6 elements 5 groups optical design.
http://herron.50megs.com/ES-lenses.htm
http://herron.50megs.com/sxLenses.htm
Before these versions the 55mm 1.8 had the 6 elements 4 groups design. After the SX version no 55mm 1.8 was offered in the catalogs (CS, EF, E).

Excerpt from my list of M-S lenses:

Mamiya Sekor 50mm 2.0 (4/6) TL/DTL/DTL CS Rolleinar MC + Voigtländer
Mamiya Sekor 50mm 2.8 (3/4) TL
Mamiya Sekor 50mm 1.4 (6/7) CS EF/E
Mamiya Sekor 50mm 1.7 (5/6) CS EF/E
Mamiya Sekor M50mm 3.5 (4/5) CS E Rolleinar MC
Mamiya Sekor 55mm 1.8 (4/6) TL
Mamiya Sekor 55mm 1.8 (5/6) ES SX
Mamiya Sekor 55mm 1.4 (5/7) TL ES SX Rolleinar MC + Voigtländer Ultron Ex Contarex Planar

The ES 55mm 1.8 version was once tested by a magazine and showed exceptional high resolution in the center. The SX should act the same. I have that one and converted it permanently to EOS mount + a chip. Rim removed, aperture linked internally so no pin, helicoid and contra-helicoid adjusted for infinity.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
papasito wrote:
walter g

According Herron's lens lists the Mamiya Sekor ES (older bayonet) and SX (M42) 55mm 1.8 have the 6 elements 5 groups optical design.
http://herron.50megs.com/ES-lenses.htm
http://herron.50megs.com/sxLenses.htm
Before these versions the 55mm 1.8 had the 6 elements 4 groups design. After the SX version no 55mm 1.8 was offered in the catalogs (CS, EF, E).

Excerpt from my list of M-S lenses:

Mamiya Sekor 50mm 2.0 (4/6) TL/DTL/DTL CS Rolleinar MC + Voigtländer
Mamiya Sekor 50mm 2.8 (3/4) TL
Mamiya Sekor 50mm 1.4 (6/7) CS EF/E
Mamiya Sekor 50mm 1.7 (5/6) CS EF/E
Mamiya Sekor M50mm 3.5 (4/5) CS E Rolleinar MC
Mamiya Sekor 55mm 1.8 (4/6) TL
Mamiya Sekor 55mm 1.8 (5/6) ES SX
Mamiya Sekor 55mm 1.4 (5/7) TL ES SX Rolleinar MC + Voigtländer Ultron Ex Contarex Planar

The ES 55mm 1.8 version was once tested by a magazine and showed exceptional high resolution in the center. The SX should act the same. I have that one and converted it permanently to EOS mount + a chip. Rim removed, aperture linked internally so no pin, helicoid and contra-helicoid adjusted for infinity.

The last series of the Mamiya/Sekor DTL 1,8/55 lens is 6/5 too.

The difference is in the frontal groups (6/5 lens has 3e 3g frontal lenses)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
papasito wrote:

Do you have the chrome one?

Pics taken with it?

Prone to flare?

High CA?

Bad lens in veiling or strong light inside the pic?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
walter g wrote:
papasito wrote:

Do you have the chrome one?

Pics taken with it?

Prone to flare?

High CA?

Bad lens in veiling or strong light inside the pic?

The all black 6 elements 5 groups M-S SX 55mm 1.8 delivers this:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61874842

At wide open already very sharp, little CA but odd bokeh (bubbles etc) and much bloom (chrome on the bikes).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking on ebay, there seems to be more than just 2 optical versions of the lens, possibly as many as 4.

I believe this is the earliest M42 version, with the IR dot at 5.6, this is the copy I have. Said to be be 6 lenses in 4 groups.

This, I think, is the next version, also M42. The IR dot is now closer to F4 than 5.6, this version is said to be 6 lenses in 5 groups.

Next, the ES version from the XTL series cameras. On this version the IR dot is before F4. This version is also said to be 6 lenses, 5 groups.

Finally, the SX series lens. Now the IR dot is closer to F8, this version is also said to be 6 lenses, 5 groups.

Does the fact that the IR dot has moved point to a different optical calculation each time, even if only for a change of glass type used for instance?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
Looking on ebay, there seems to be more than just 2 optical versions of the lens, possibly as many as 4.

Does the fact that the IR dot has moved point to a different optical calculation each time, even if only for a change of glass type used for instance?

That would seem logical to me.
Also 6 elements in 5 groups, doesn't necessarily mean exactly the same design each time.
T

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Alun Thomas wrote:

That would seem logical to me.
Also 6 elements in 5 groups, doesn't necessarily mean exactly the same design each time.
T

Not all the 55/1,8 lenses have the same design, of course.

But the fact that the scale of meters are very different between them, should has IT own importance

Look at the distance between 7, 10 and 30 m in all the lenses, and see that this space is different in each one.

Addenda

I focused my SX in this way:
The same as we see focused in the ES version picture and......
The IR index in my SX is in line with the "3" of the 30 m like ocurr in the ES version picture .
So, sholud be the same optical design in both

Last edited by papasito on Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a little thing
I have the Chrome nose and the SX
We can say the first and the last versions.
I can't see importante differences in the IQ.
only the contrast is strong in the SX versión, and IT's warmer too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A got a version of this lens without SX printed on the name plate but it turned out to be SX anyway. Bummer.

Back:

Front:
Auto Mamiya Sekor 55mm 1:1.8 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Also it doesn't have the a/m switch. Apparently not all SX lenses are marked sx. The serial number of this lens is on the barrel instead of the name ring. maybe an easy way to recognize.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya M42 55/1,8, AFAIK are

1 TL versión (chrome nose)

With series number at the front ring

6 elements in 4 groups

Two sub versions

Two different DOF scales

With and w/o AM .

2 DTL version. All black

With and w/o AM Stitch

With and w/o series number in the front ring

Some people salid that the scheme is 6/4 but I

only saw 6/5 scheme copies

3 SX The lens always say SX in the front ring

6/5 scheme.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
A got a version of this lens without SX printed on the name plate but it turned out to be SX anyway. Bummer.

Back:

Front:
Auto Mamiya Sekor 55mm 1:1.8 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Also it doesn't have the a/m switch. Apparently not all SX lenses are marked sx. The serial number of this lens is on the barrel instead of the name ring. maybe an easy way to recognize.

You can easily file off that lip on the back so that it will work on a standard M42.
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 50 f2 SX lens with the lip removed in my 'for sale' box, it's a nice lens, just selling it because I have the 55 f1.8 which I like more.
There's a 50 f2.8 in the box as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens doesn't seem to have the SX pin, so it must be a version made for older DTL bodies when the MSX bodies were already on the market to save on production costs making two versions of the lens.