Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M9 + Jupiter-8 crops
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: M9 + Jupiter-8 crops Reply with quote

Here's some crops from pictures made with M9 and Jupiter-8 (Sonnar 2/50 copy).
Please keep in mind the lens is a budget soviet lens of 1962, single coated. The lens is not strong in contrast and in adverse light shows some flare.
The pictures have no camera sharpening, only default Lightroom sharpening.
I tihnk that the images let you imagine what could be the level of detail once a better lens is mounted.
I find the rendition quite "3D" in many cases, not sure if because of camera, of lens, or both.
Detail in the shade at low iso is very good and this I'm sure comes from the camera. For instance, see details on the window glasses, coming from both in and out of building. Very readable.

All shots hand-held. ISO ranging from 160 to (if I remember correctly) 400):

original image:

crop:
(on the blinds you see moiré due to non-existent AA filter)

crop:

original image:

crop:

crop:
(not focused area)

original image:

crop:

original image:

crop:

original image:

crop:

original image:

crop:

original image:

crop:

original image:

crop:

original image:

crop:

original image:

crop:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these, Orio. They certainly convey a capability that is really
fine. I can only imagine what you could do with a "modern" lens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Thanks for these, Orio. They certainly convey a capability that is really
fine. I can only imagine what you could do with a "modern" lens.

the crop that impresses me the most is the one with the shrub.
The shrub was in full shade and all diffused light, and yet you can tell very clearly the distances between each leaf and the one below.
This is a difficult type of shot to make, as you teach me, as I'm sure you have encountered this type of lighting a lot in your forest trips. It is very easy to make everything look flat and one-dimensional.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree Orio. The shrub was the definitive dimensional effect, more so
than the other images in that respect. I found myself doing exactly the same,
looking from one leaf to the next.

Shooting greenery and detail is a true challenge. I think that part of the
reason for the dimensional effect + precise composition, is that you
took advantage of the small flowering plant to balance the image.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J8 is a pretty amazing lens.

I agree that the shrub pic is the best to show this lens off but the others are really good.

I'm glad you're enjoying the M9.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

I'm glad you're enjoying the M9.

For the very little time I had on my hands these days, I am.
It's not an "image ready" camera however. While with the EOS reflex, if you take care in light metering, the raw comes out pretty much ready for conversion, with the M9 you need to work on the colours to obtain good results. The in camera AWB pretty much sucks. Also setting it to a fixed Kelvin does not really help, because the camera emphasizes brightness in the green and yellow channels. I suspect this is a consequence of the anti IR filter. Until Leica will provide a good profile for Lightroom (there is a third party one that does not do much), there will always be the need to balance the magenta/green value in addition to correct Kelvin. The only solution to fix in camera would be to take a custom balance on grey card before shooting. But who carries around a grey card all the time?

But aside from that, I am happy. The camera is small and undetectable (I have chosen the black version), and it creates images worth as much as the best reflex if not more.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing! The first cat (near the gate) looks very 3D.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have an excellent copy of the J-8. I have a good one, too, but I must say it seems to like color much more than black and white film. Lovely comparisons you have shown us ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is something different what we get from DSLR bodies..

I don't know how much the lens pays in this game Smile but these samples are incredible!

I love those results!

Orio, thanks for sharing.

tf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, who needs a macro or telephoto lens! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Wow, who needs a macro or telephoto lens! Laughing

This happened to be my same thought, actually. With the best of today's technology, one can safely walk around with a good 50mm lens and take home telephoto pictures of near the same quality of a good 135mm telephoto lens - and of a 18mm lens too, by stitching.