Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 to NIkon F adapter advices.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: M42 to NIkon F adapter advices. Reply with quote

Hello to all,

I have slight issue with my m42 to Nikon f adapter. It is a no name brand, says it is made in Japan, and has optical correction on the adapter.

The thing is when i manual focus and get the focus confirm, and take the picture on fairly large apertures, the image is out of focus, so i took the corrective glass out, and tried once more, and then i got the same image as i get in the viewfinder, the focus was dead on and everything is OK.

So i think the culprit is the optical correction that my adapter came with.

Can you recommend a High Quality calibrated M42 to Nikon F mount adapter? The price is not matter..

Thanks,
Martin.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nothing personal... but: there are dozens of topics covering this, not to mention Google search results Rolling Eyes - use the search and read before posting any more of these repeats, please?

As a kind welcome to the forum (since that was your 1st post): I'll save you the trouble and give you the reply you'll get once 14 members have posted the same answers in yet another topic on something already answered. There exists no consensus on which optical adapters M42 to Nikon F are the best. The majority of members think they all suck, which is because us pixel-peepers have higher standards for the technical quality of an image.

In my opinion; they're so cheap you might as well try a few and see if quality control improves. Some M42 optics suffer more from optical adapter than others, thumb rule is that the wider the more it suffers and the more aberrations originally the more problem is multiplied.

You might also consider placing your money in pre-Ai/Ai'd/Ai/Ai-S Nikkors, most of which are as good as (or better) price or quality than most M42 glass (when used on Nikon).

edit Just as a 2nd general rule: It is never a bad idea to give more infoe ie. what Nikon body are you using. Crop frame suffers less than full frame, is the answer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Nikonian I would also suggest in sticking to Ai/Ais Nikkors.

If you want to use M42 get a cheap film body or an other system with better adapters.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IANUS wrote:

If you want to use M42 get a cheap film body or an other system with better adapters.

+1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: M42 to NIkon F adapter advices. Reply with quote

martinMK wrote:

Can you recommend a High Quality calibrated M42 to Nikon F mount adapter? The price is not matter..

Here's a link to get you started with your search ...

http://forum.mflenses.com/m42-to-nikon-adapter-t10502,highlight,kood.html

It includes links to pictures made using adapters sold by "Kood" & "Bower".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for not utilizing the search.

I am currently using Nikon d90. The thing is as i explained when i manual focus lets say a Helios 44m4 wide open, i get a focus confirm, take the image and review surprised to see that it is out of focus. When i took the glass out what i got is tack sharp image, same distance with focus confirmation by the camera system.

I have tried focusing with live view, on large apertures, and consistently get focused sharp images. This is why i think that the optical correction is the culprit.

I get a focused image in my viewfinder with focus confirm, and get crappy image on the sensor plane...

I have two MF lenses, Pentacon 135mm/2.8 15 blade and the Helios 44m4 MC 58/2. I really like to use the Pentacon wide open because of the bokeh..

I will certanly go over the suggested link by sichko.

Is this the Bower adapter?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/97559-REG/General_Brand_ABSN_Nikon_AI_Body_to.html

Thanks.
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
IANUS wrote:

+1

+2
I started to use Dandelion chips for metering.... lens works 99% as an AF lens of course not having AF

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
Attila wrote:
IANUS wrote:

+1

+2
I started to use Dandelion chips for metering.... lens works 99% as an AF lens of course not having AF

Buy one with a Dandelion chip like leitax.com
I have attached my chip to an adaptall N/AI adapter and it works like a charm on my Nikon D60.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinMK wrote:

I am currently using Nikon d90. The thing is as i explained when i manual focus lets say a Helios 44m4 wide open, i get a focus confirm, take the image and review surprised to see that it is out of focus. When i took the glass out what i got is tack sharp image, same distance with focus confirmation by the camera system.

I have tried focusing with live view, on large apertures, and consistently get focused sharp images. This is why i think that the optical correction is the culprit.

I get a focused image in my viewfinder with focus confirm, and get crappy image on the sensor plane...

Thanks.
Martin

Sounds like the focus screen needs calibration -- or, perhaps much more likely -- the focus screen is unable to accurately show focus when using lenses faster than f/2.8. If you Helios stop down to f/4, focus, then while viewing the focus screen, open the aperture to f/1.4; you will likely see the depth-of-field narrow until aperture reaches about f/2.8 then no change from there to f/1.4. The focus confirms focus for dof at f/2.8, but with the lens at f/1.4 the dof is much narrower and focus is off.

That is why Live View focusing works; it accurately shows dof at fast apertures.

Does Nikon make a "fast" focus screen for the D90? Note these faster focus screens tend to go dark quite fast as aperture is closed beyond about f/2.8, but they provide accurate focus for apertures bigger than about f/2.8.

There's a link around here someplace that describes the problem in more detail.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice I can give is: forget about optical adapters.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum!

Adapters with lenses are not the best way to put a lens to a cam. That's right.
But if you do have some nice M42-lenses and a Nikon DSLR, you can easily buy and try some. I have one that does not deteriorate the quality too much.
Be careful to avoid flare provoking situations, though. Some adapters do not sport the best coating.