Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 -> EOS adapter, damage to camera possible?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: M42 -> EOS adapter, damage to camera possible? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am quite new to MF lenses on my Canon EOS 30D. Until now I used a simple machined M42 to EOS adapter without AF focus confirmation ship.

Based on a review by Bob Atkins, I ordered a M42 to EOS adapter with a chip glued on it from a Russian company called Rugift (Bob Atkins speaks highly of them). It has not arrived yet, but I have some worries about that chip:

While it would be very helpful to have a focus assist, is there any risk that the chip can short circuit or damage the AF circuit in my camera? How critical is the alignment of the chip on the adapter? Does anyone have those Rugift adapters, and how well do they work?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! We have many Canon owners I hope they are reply to you soon. I never heard this kind of problem with adapters.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been issues reported, but these seem to be rare.

Ebay has some suggested articles linked during certain search results,
and one of them was about how someone had a chip fry his EOS camera.

Unfortunately, ebay isn't responding for me right now. Once I can get
back on their system, I'll look for that article and post the link for you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, and welcome. Most of us here with Canon cameras use EOS adapters with AF-confirm chips and I've never heard of any problem with shorting out the contacts or any other damage to the camera - the chip is identical to the contacts on Canon lenses.

I don't know of any particular problems with Rugift but maybe you can find something if you search for it on our forum (use the search link at the top of the page). I think, in the main, complaints have been about the price and speed of delivery.

One or two of us here have bought adapters from a very helpful Ebay seller in Hong Kong who I would recommend. His site has videos and other information which will be interesting for you. And he will answer any questions you might have.
Click here to see on Ebay

Who is Bob Atkins? Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have not experieced any damage, but somtimes my chipped adapters produce ERR messages or even a high pitched sound in the cam Shocked . And I constantly have a weird feeling when I use the adapters, for the same reason that you mention.
That's one of the reasons why I do not use them any more. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Well, I have not experieced any damage, but somtimes my chipped adapters produce ERR messages or even a high pitched sound in the cam Shocked . And I constantly have a weird feeling when I use the adapters, for the same reason that you mention.

Thanks!

Did you try different brands, btw? Or didn't you want to risk that? Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know our member tried different brands, because not every adapter support perfectly infinity focus. I hope Orio, F16Sunshine and many others able to suggest you good ones.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to find the article I was looking for. It talks of Nikon-to-EOS, but it probably has to do with AF-confirm chips in general.
Admittedly, this seems to be a rare occurrence, but it's worth keeping in mind when outfitting DSLRs.

CAUTION: AF-Confirm Nikon Adapter for EOS cameras

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Thanks!

Did you try different brands, btw? Or didn't you want to risk that? Wink

I have tried several noname brands and can't remember which adapter I got from what seller. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
I managed to find the article I was looking for. It talks of Nikon-to-EOS, but it probably has to do with AF-confirm chips in general.
Admittedly, this seems to be a rare occurrence, but it's worth keeping in mind when outfitting DSLRs.

CAUTION: AF-Confirm Nikon Adapter for EOS cameras

Thanks for the link.
Actually, my Nikon-EOS-adapters are the most reliable ones I have...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Hi, and welcome. Most of us here with Canon cameras use EOS adapters with AF-confirm chips and I've never heard of any problem with shorting out the contacts or any other damage to the camera - the chip is identical to the contacts on Canon lenses.

I don't know of any particular problems with Rugift but maybe you can find something if you search for it on our forum (use the search link at the top of the page). I think, in the main, complaints have been about the price and speed of delivery.

One or two of us here have bought adapters from a very helpful Ebay seller in Hong Kong who I would recommend. His site has videos and other information which will be interesting for you. And he will answer any questions you might have.
Click here to see on Ebay

Who is Bob Atkins? Wink

Does the one in that image have the stopdown flange?

I have an M42 EOS with the flange and was thinking of sanding it off as I don't need it. I like the adapter as it has an focus confirm chip that seems to be accurate.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

I have an M42 EOS with the flange and was thinking of sanding it off as I don't need it. I like the adapter as it has an focus confirm chip that seems to be accurate.

The adapter I got has a flange indeed. It arrived this morning, and both focus and metering seem to be spot on. If it keeps working like that, I am very happy!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use that adapter on my 20D no problems here.

Last edited by Rense on Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Does the one in that image have the stopdown flange?

Why? What benefit will that give?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter

If I remove the flange, I can set the desired aperture I want to shoot at, swicth the A/M switch to A to open up to focus, then switch back to M to take the shot.

It's just a bit quicker than turning the aperture selector back and forth to focus and meter. I have a few non-AF confirm adapters without the flange and use them as above.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Hi Peter

If I remove the flange, I can set the desired aperture I want to shoot at, swicth the A/M switch to A to open up to focus, then switch back to M to take the shot.

It's just a bit quicker than turning the aperture selector back and forth to focus and meter. I have a few non-AF confirm adapters without the flange and use them as above.

Ah, I see, that makes sense. Smile I always focus first, before I set the aperture. Do you have any lenses without an A-M switch? (Tamron, Helios-44M4, Domiplan for instance)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My m42 lenses all have the A/M switch. My other lenses do not.

For studio work the A/M switch speeds things up. I used a Volna for my last studio shoot and had to keep opening up to focus then count 6 clicks to stop down to F8. Sadly the Volna has gone to it's new home today.