Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for 24mm lens - advice needed!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for 24mm lens - advice needed! Reply with quote

james wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:
I'm looking for a 24mm lens to use on my 5DMKII. My budget is about £50. What can I get for this sort of money with good IQ?

When you buy into a costly 20+ MP sensor, you've boxed yourself into better glass. Allocating £50 on a 24mm lens and expecting good results is kind of crazy.

Spend a few more pence and go for a Nikkor 24/2.8 AIS.

For £154/$250: http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20456375.html

I totally agree with what you're saying. I usually use Canon L glass with my 5DMKII (17-40mm, 24-105mm & 70-200mm). My manual focus lenses I use with my Spotmatics etc and my EOS10D. I'm looking for a mf 24mm and was curious what the IQ would be like on my 5D. At this price point, probably awful, but I have been pleasantly surprised before!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkor is probably your best bet. Readily available and a compact little lens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james wrote:
The Nikkor is probably your best bet. Readily available and a compact little lens.

Thanks, I'll have a look at what's available on ebay.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for 24mm lens - advice needed! Reply with quote

james wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:
I'm looking for a 24mm lens to use on my 5DMKII. My budget is about £50. What can I get for this sort of money with good IQ?

You've anchored yourself to an unforgiving 21MP sensor, the price of which obligates the use of better glass. Allocating £50 toward a 24mm lens and expecting good results is unrealistic.

Although I understand the argument of "very expensive camera therefore no point in buying inexpensive lenses", personally I am not in 100% agreement.

It is probably true that I would have been far better off buying a single L Canon lens for around £1800 than spending the same amount of money on the dozens of lesser MF lenses I have accumulated. However, in the greater scheme of things, I would then have ended up with a single lens and not explored the envelope of what the world of lenses has to offer.

Just my quirkyness. Ignore it.

This is aside from the fact that £154 is just over three times £50, rather than a "few more pence" Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for 24mm lens - advice needed! Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
james wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

You've anchored yourself to an unforgiving 21MP sensor, the price of which obligates the use of better glass. Allocating £50 toward a 24mm lens and expecting good results is unrealistic.

Although I understand the argument of "very expensive camera therefore no point in buying inexpensive lenses", personally I am not in 100% agreement.

It is probably true that I would have been far better off buying a single L Canon lens for around £1800 than spending the same amount of money on the dozens of lesser MF lenses I have accumulated. However, in the greater scheme of things, I would then have ended up with a single lens and not explored the envelope of what the world of lenses has to offer.

Just my quirkyness. Ignore it.

This is aside from the fact that £154 is just over three times £50, rather than a "few more pence" Smile Smile Smile

My quirkyness too, Martyn! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for 24mm lens - advice needed! Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:

...This is aside from the fact that £154 is just over three times £50, rather than a "few more pence" Wink

....and a 5D Mk.2 a few shillings more Wink

Seriously, the experimentation is all the fun but the the relevant options narrow once you've "graduated" to a D3x, A900 or 5D Mk.2 so unless one is unbothered by dropping £50 here and there only to find out that these less known names are duds, best stick with some of the better proven performers.

Last edited by james on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please define "dud"Wink

Here some shots with my 24mm f/2.8 RMC Tokina, bought for EUR 20, on my 5D (original).

(And a 100% crop from a corner too to show how bad it really is Wink)

I thought we MF lenses lovers are not pixel peepers! Very Happy

http://www.camerac.nl/foto/Tokina24mm/rmctok2428-01.jpg

http://www.camerac.nl/foto/Tokina24mm/rmctok2428-02.jpg

http://www.camerac.nl/foto/Tokina24mm/rmctok2428-03.jpg

http://www.camerac.nl/foto/Tokina24mm/rmctok2428-04.jpg

http://www.camerac.nl/foto/Tokina24mm/rmctok2428-crop.jpg

Last edited by Spotmatic on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Please define "dud"Wink

A dud at 24mm on a 21-24MP sensor?

1] Nikkor 24/2 AIS.
2] Leica R 24 Elmarit

...and pricey 'duds' at that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, although I lived in Holland, I still find the Dutch sense of humour difficult!

To me, I see very little wrong with those shots, they seem to be pretty free of linear distortions, sharpness seems good, colours and contrast also good, that corner crop shows decent sharpness, CA, etc.

All in all, I'd be happy with that lens, especially for 20e.

Sometimes I wonder what people actually want in a lens, what they are going to do with the images - print them big?

Seriously, unless you're going to be printing very large pictures then the performance of just about any 24mm mentioned in this thread so far will be more than adequate.

Sometimes I wonder if posting images on the web and pixel peeping is misleading as to the usefulness of a lens, there is so much more to an image than sharpness, CA etc and it seems we forget that sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the Nikkor AIS 24/2.8, it blew away all the competition I gave it! I got mine for £56,00 with a few minor cleaning marks, from an ex-crime scene investigator! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

With regard to the 24mm Nikkor. One to stay away from for use on the 5D MarkII is the Nikkor-N 24mm f/2.8 NAI. Now, it is a wonderful lens to be sure, but as you can see from the second photo below, has a protruding fin at the back end that prohibits mounting on the 5D MII without some surgery.

I actually love this lens on my film Nikons, I really wish it was easier to use on the 5D!

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't that lens still work after that flange has been cut away? It's just part of the light baffle isn't it, to prevent reflection from the protruding lever?

I have removed the similar flange on several PK lenses to allow use on my EOS 10D, they still work on my Pentax film body.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI again,

I thought with all this talk of 24mm MF lenses, I would shoot a few samples with a Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 on the 5D Mark II. This is far from a scientific lens test, and it involves looking at some pretty lousy images (from an aesthetic point of view).

My general conclusions is that my copy of this lens is mediocre at best. It displays a fairly sharp center, but rather soft corners. it has some minimal distortion, barrel mostly, and pretty pronounced vignetting wide open that clears up by f/5.6.

All images were made on the 5D MarkII with in-camera sharpening level set at "3". No pp was done on the fine jpg's except for cropping was done on any image.

First, here is a shot of the lens on the 5D MII:

Next, here is a close-up image shot wide open with a few 100% crops:

Ok, now to pull back from the pixel peeping for a bit, here are some old boring brick walls. The first is wide open and the second is at f/5.6

Wide open:

at f/5.6:

Ok, now for some more pictorial images Smile

Here's one at f/2.8 of some shops across the Quinebaug river.

Here's the 100% crop at the center of the image:

Stopped down to f/5.6 things get a little sharper:

You can see it even better at 100%:

A few more pics shot wide open, softness at the edges and some CA is evident even without blowing up to 100%:

The image of the camera and lens was shot on a 40D with the fantastic Pentax SMC 50mm f/4 macro lens!

I hope this helps you out!

Best,

Paul

Last edited by pdccameras on Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Won't that lens still work after that flange has been cut away? It's just part of the light baffle isn't it, to prevent reflection from the protruding lever?

I have removed the similar flange on several PK lenses to allow use on my EOS 10D, they still work on my Pentax film body.

HI Ian,

I just love this lens so much, I don't have the heart to modify it. Unlike the stop down linkages I have trimmed on some PK lenses, this fin must, as you mentioned, limit reflections. I would hate to change this lens' perfomance on the F or F2! I know I am probably fretting over nothing.

P.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand, it is a destructive mod so if you love it and use it on the Fs then keep it how it is.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend the Ensinor 24mm. i use on on my 5Dii.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I would highly recommend the Ensinor 24mm. i use on on my 5Dii.

Thanks Martin, it's on my watch list!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems word is ou about that Ensinor, a broken aperture M42 one went for over 60ukp the other day!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, it would seem looking at it that the Ensinor is the same lens as the Super Paragon 24mm
the last few sold on ebay for under £10
A cracking lens made by Cimko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with what's been posted about the Nikkor Ais 24/2.8. It's my favourite lens. I know it's well over the your budget but I think it's better to spend more and never worry about finding another 24mm.

I was lucky and got mine for 2000 yen (about 20 USD) in a recycle shop. Mint condition as well!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Upsilon 24mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Here are 2 pix, 1 with this lens and 1 of this lens.
The mount is M42 mounted on a Canon 550D with a chipped (for focus confirmation) adapter for EOS.

IMG_1401 by J Bruja, on Flickr
One of my wife's friends in her garden

_MG_1705 by J Bruja, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@jbruja, that Upsilon branded lens is made by Sigma, was also branded Spiratone:

http://forum.mflenses.com/spiratone-12-5-f24mm-and-12-8-f24mm-t32788.html (not the Mitake, the other)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
@jbruja, that Upsilon branded lens is made by Sigma, was also branded Spiratone:

http://forum.mflenses.com/spiratone-12-5-f24mm-and-12-8-f24mm-t32788.html (not the Mitake, the other)

Tnx for the reply visualopsins. I was informed of the Sigma connection some months ago on another site however I have never really looked at Spiratone lens seriously since I started into the photo thing in the early 60s. Their reputation was less than stellar to say the least.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which brings us back to the Nikkor 24/2.8 AIS.....

Spiratone, Ensinor, Vivitar, Paragon....?!?!

An open question to all of you folks, can you actually PRINT a sizable high-quality enlargement of an image shot on a 5D Mk.2 or D3X with one of these? Not just a tiny JPG displayed on a website? I will respectfully raise this point again, that when you live life on a 12MP sensor (as I do), you've got far more leeway. Most of these 3rd party optics of the 60's and 70's (though by NO means all) are relics of a bygone film era, no longer relevant for high-res sensors. Although these others are entertaining for the challenge of discovery, is A quality FD, OM, Heliar, Zeiss C/Y, Takumar, Rokkor, CV or Nikkor AIS really that more costly when you've dropped so much €£¥$ on a modern DSLR?

Last edited by james on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:40 pm; edited 2 times in total