Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Link to blog post about a tour of the Cosina factory
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Link to blog post about a tour of the Cosina factory Reply with quote

Hi All,

Interesting post about one of the few companies still actually designing and producing manual focus lenses.
http://www.japanexposures.com/2009/05/04/cosina-lens-and-camera-factory-tour-report/

Excerpt:
Quote:
...you pass through to the next room you are faced with an amazing collection of drill presses, unused jigs, lathes and 4-5 skilled craftsmen busily working brass blanks and parts runners pulling various machine parts from racks. The atmosphere is one of a very high precision workshop full of people who could create virtually anything out of a blank block of metal...

Off the top of my head, Cosina (who make the Voigtlander cameras and lenses, the Zeiss rangefinder and most of the Zeiss M mount lenses, and the Zeiss SLR lenses, the Fuji 6x7 folder, the manual focus Nikon FM10 bodies and more...) and Leica are just about the only ones committed to manual focus. And Cosina and their CEO Kobayashi-san actually make some products I can afford!

Cheers,

Eugene

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss is still building lenses too. Not all of their production takes place in Japan.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right!. They do make one or two of the ZM rangefinder mount lenses...are there any Zeiss lenses produced by Zeiss in Germany for mere mortals?

I know they make those incredible cinema Prime lenses, plus some medium format lenses? I'd have to sell my car and probably my child to afford those...

Eugene Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Eugene, this blog is very interesting. I also noticed the Fujifilm GF670 "monster Leica" review:
http://www.japanexposures.com/2009/06/25/fujifilm-gf670-professional-goes-monsoon/

I start feeling the itch for this big folder. Too bad, wife and car already sold Wink

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting links. Thanks.