Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Letting the background go
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Letting the background go Reply with quote

Well I am way out of my comfort zone here ! Color, Digital , High key, and portraiture, None of which I do very well. I'd appreciate feedback and comments especially in regard to Letting backgrounds blowout. Usually I have Off camera lighting to get the subject where I want it on color film or digital.

Should one sharpen these after re-sizing ? they seem softer after posted.

These are both straight from the camera Jpegs with no PP other than crop and resize. Pentax Kx with an old wore out Spirtone Tc 105/f2.5 both shots wide open.
#1 Boy discovers Girl

#2 Girl contemplates making boys life miserable

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one is lovely!! First romance? Very Happy

There are not many alternatives in this situation: either you let the background go, or you use fill (panel or flash).
Well, you can also change point of view, if subjects are willing to wait Wink

In any case, you can recover something on both ends if you shoot RAW.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree about using RAW - much more latitude

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys ! The Kx records raw and jpg at the same time so I will see what can be recovered . I knew the background would blow out but it's hard for me to judge when to let it go in color .

Well here is the result of fiddling with the first one.