Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lenses: why black?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Lenses: why black? Reply with quote

Why modern-day lenses must all have to be black?
After the golden days of manual lenses, where silver aluminium was the rule (and the lenses were much more beautiful, although more exposed to oxidation), they all started to make the lenses black.
Why black? Is there a technical reason? I don't think that anodization of aluminium must be necessarily made black. Besides, black absorbs all sun rays, and this can lead to over heating of the lens in the summer, which I don't think is a very good thing.
Why must all our lenses be so funereally black?
Why not a sky blue lens?
A Ferrari red lens?
A Van Gogh yellow lens?

Is really the creativity of lens designers, so flat zeroed?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess, not all of them are in black. Especially the most expensive big telephoto lenses are light colored. White, or light gray, I never had one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Lenses: why black? Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
A Ferrari red lens?

I imagine that would be ony for really fast lenses! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imre wrote:
I guess, not all of them are in black. Especially the most expensive big telephoto lenses are light colored. White, or light gray, I never had one.

Yes, but only a very few - consider the total of all lenses, they are maybe the 0,01% - and they are white.
And OK my Contax G2 has silver grey lenses. So it's either black or grey or white. Where are the other colors?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Lenses: why black? Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Orio wrote:
A Ferrari red lens?

I imagine that would be ony for really fast lenses! Smile

Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Where are the other colors?

once I had a yellow car. All flies, bees and other insects were landing on it. So, I personally wouldn't buy a yellow lens. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imre wrote:
Orio wrote:
Where are the other colors?

once I had a yellow car. All flies, bees and other insects were landing on it. So, I personally wouldn't buy a yellow lens. Very Happy

Ah but this is an opportunity! You put your yellow lens on the bag, then the bees land on it, and you are ready to photograph the bees in macro with another lens! Laughing

By the way, welcome to the group! I see you are from Budapest, so you maybe know Attila?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't know who is Imre, but nice to see him here. Hopefully Hungarian section will be more stronger Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver finish lenses always catch my eyes, I guess the reason why changed to black. In the sixties fashion is changed maker had to show the new models are different looking they changed to black. In this days the reason I guess more simple hard to make quality looking silver plastic. I guess good idea to make user replaceable camera cover and lens barrel cover like many cell phone has. Imagine in your 5D in yellow house with a green lens barrel , funny looking isn't it ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voigtländer rangefinder lenses come in black or in silver!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think black lenses came about because of complaints from private
detectives. Those silver/chrome lenses really stand out when you're
hiding in the bushes trying to take pics of unfaithful marriage partners! Laughing

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
I think black lenses came about because of complaints from private
detectives. Those silver/chrome lenses really stand out when you're
hiding in the bushes trying to take pics of unfaithful marriage partners! Laughing
Bill

And what about those noisy autofocus motors then? Twisted Evil

Ah maybe private detectives use rangefinders only Razz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
And what about those noisy autofocus motors then? Twisted Evil

Ah maybe private detectives use rangefinders only Razz

Not necessarily, if AF lenses are used at night in the summer, you have
all manner of insects making such a racket that a USM motor would
hardly be heard over it! Laughing

Bill