Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

lens coating: yellow vs. blue
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not quite. That bottom part (Auflage) hat to sit tight on the camera, as this is part is what defines the "lens register" (Auflagemass), 28.95mm in case of the Pen-F camera. The rest above (so to speak) "only" fixes the lens towards the body using springs or whatever method used by the manufacturer. Tolerances there are not as important as tolerances to that base plate. All my Pen-F lenses sit very tight with very little, if ever any, tolerances.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once mounted and locked the lens resp. the outer flat ring of it's mount of course sits flush and tight against the outer surface of the camera mount and therefore at the correct register distance! However I wonder if slight variations of the thickness of the lens' mount parts seen in my photos and which, when mounted, rest inside the camera mount is feasible ̣̣̣̣̣and actual in the case of Pen-F lenses, that the lens gets pulled tight by the springs and locks tight, then of course at the correct register distance, regardless of that slight variation.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Alex H wrote:
I can measure my lenses and post here, but only next weekend.

Alex

Alex I'd appreciate very much if you find time to measure the mounts of your Pen-F lenses! Maybe even - still - in a newly started thread?
I have been in conversation about this issue with the main contributor of the Pen-F pages at Olypedia: http://olypedia.de/Kategorie:PEN_F_System he is very interested and investigating too

thank you, andreas

Here You go: http://forum.mflenses.com/lens-mount-variability-in-olympus-pen-f-ft-lenses-t62556.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: lens coating: yellow vs. blue Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
in front of me I have two copies of the same lens. The glass of one has a yellow tint, the other a blue/purple tint.
my question: does the color of the coating tell me which 'should' be the later, the 'better' coating?

well, I should try to find out be testing, resp. suppose that the one with the higher serial number, being the later, may have the better coating, but nevertheless I am curious if the color of the coating can tell us anything.

thank's

I also think the purple/ blue is newer than yellow/ amber and is multi coated but you can check if you have 2 copies of the same lens with different colors by compare the brightness of the reflections , the lens with brighter reflections will be the single coated one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: lens coating: yellow vs. blue Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
kuuan wrote:
in front of me I have two copies of the same lens. The glass of one has a yellow tint, the other a blue/purple tint.
my question: does the color of the coating tell me which 'should' be the later, the 'better' coating?

well, I should try to find out be testing, resp. suppose that the one with the higher serial number, being the later, may have the better coating, but nevertheless I am curious if the color of the coating can tell us anything.

thank's

I also think the purple/ blue is newer than yellow/ amber and is multi coated but you can check if you have 2 copies of the same lens with different colors by compare the brightness of the reflections , the lens with brighter reflections will be the single coated one.

the question of coatings also surfaced in the other thread Alex had started about lens mount variability of Pen-F/FT lenses: http://forum.mflenses.com/lens-mount-variability-in-olympus-pen-f-ft-lenses-t62556.html

I also believe that in the case of Pen-F/FT lenses resp. their coating that tjose that rather looks 'amber' are of earlier make than those that look blue / purple. However from what I observe looking at my Pen-F lenses I believe that 'amber' not necessarily must means single coated.

During the period when Pen-F lenses were made development of multi coating was taking place, classifying in single or multi-coated may be simplifying and difficult: Some lenses will have single coating, others 2 or 3 layers of coating, some very late lenses possibly more layers than that. I even imagine that a lens could have individual single coated elements with different colors each or that there are lenses that could have some elements with single coating and other elements with more than one layer of coating.

This ideas stem from articles I have read about the Super Multi Coating introduced by Pentax in 1971. Some say Pentax invented multi coating, other say that it had been around and used by a number of producers before but that it had not occurred to them to name it as such, that the introduction of the S-M-C was a mere marketing stunt by Pentax.

Truth seems to be a mix of the above and my personal take is as follows: Multi layer coating had been around long before the introduction of the S-M-C but until then other producers used 2 or 3, maximum 4 layers of coating while S-M-C had 7, some say 9 layers. Offering that at a commercial level for their all their SLR lenses was an achievement, advertizing their coating technology, which at the time most likely had an edge over that of their competitors, and giving it a name certainly was clever marketing by Pentax. Other producers were forced to catch up and later offered lenses touting their own naming of multi coatings.

this thread at Fred Miranda is quite good with many insights: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/704895

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: lens coating: yellow vs. blue Reply with quote

This is very interesting, thx for sharing. I have also read that the OM-series who came later had both single and multi coating, and there was also a price difference on these lenses. Some where consumer made and some for PRO with multi coating.

Olympus also had the FTL series for a short period between the PEN F and OM, so can it be that maybe all PEN F lenses was Single coated? but with different coating material and thickness in the periode?!? It's really difficult to find any information about this topic. Surprised