Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leitz Summarit 50/1.5 (M39) vs Summicron 50/2 (Leica-R)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Leitz Summarit 50/1.5 (M39) vs Summicron 50/2 (Leica-R) Reply with quote

I found them in local store at about the same price (the Summicron is just cheaper by EUR 20 modified to nikon-F mount while the Summarit comes with micro 4/3 adapter). As I have Sony NEX-5 I'm thinking of picking up one of those to be adapted to it.

Of course the Summarit would have lower contrast and bigger aperture while the Summicron would have better contrast (more modern coating). Apart from those obvious points, any other opinion? Image samples would be nice.

Thanks!
J.S. Lima

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike both lenses for their bokeh, but I am aware of the Swirly Bokeh and Tunnel Vision fan clubs (which I am not a member of). Which is why I don't have any bokeh samples to show, because when I still had these lenses I avoided shooting them in settings where they swirled or created tunnel vision prone to give nausea

Here are a few which are not mine, but I found them with 10s of searching on Flickr

Summarit 50/1.5 better stopped down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andretakeda/3352068131/

wide open flat "tunnel vision"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vanyuen/2566563968/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vanyuen/2763609145/

Summicron 50/2 bokeh highlights
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30682748@N06/4990329635/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctorsir/4655367022/

I have an idea how the NEX is going to change the look, but on full frame I always found Mr. Leitz products nicer in for example the 35mm or 90mm focal length.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own only the Summicron 2/50mm converted to Nikon mount. Here few samples

http://forum.mflenses.com/coal-mine-nachtigall-with-leica-summicron-2-50mm-t32899.html

I don´t know whether the "double conversion" (LeicaR > NikonF and then NikonF > Sony) is a good idea. Maybe one conversion too much.

At first I converted the lens with a cheap Chinese mount and got a heavy back focus (that was new for me with this cheap mounts), then I changed it with an expensive Leitax mount, now I have a smaller front focus.

It is a nice lens and well built - like Leica lenses. But together with a very expensive (in term of total costs of ownership) Leitax mount I believe it isn´t worth. My recently acquired Nikkor 1.8/50mm is not worse and costs only 10 % of the Leica lens.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ever own Summarit 50/1,5, since I don't have m4/3 camera. I only can use it for macro. Here's the result

Since it's difficult to hold it without adapter I used flash

While Summicron 50/2, I have it now. modified to Nikon.
Here's the result

Summicron

Salam dr Indonesia Om Yadisl Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses guys!
I guess I belong to the tunnel-vision-bokeh-vertigo fan club for some reasons
Laughing But I think a low saturation, bluish colored images from the Leitz 50/1.5 is not that interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me, but I think that the comparision was made among two lenses that aren't adecuate to this.

The summicron R 2/50 is far below the Summicron M 2/50 (any version, specialy the first, the 7 elements). And the "R" is newer than the 1,5, the summarit was remplaced by the summilux M at the end of the 50's.

The summilux M 1,4/50 had a beautifull bokeh (at least for me, of course) and was contemporary to the Summicron R 2/50.

I can't find the point of the comparision (you use the term "vs."). Perhaps if you help me, I can do that.

Rino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To shoot digital much better the Summicron-R (but avoid bokeh highlights)
But if you plan to do B&W film the Summarit has a unique look.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Excuse me, but I think that the comparision was made among two lenses that aren't adecuate to this.

The summicron R 2/50 is far below the Summicron M 2/50 (any version, specialy the first, the 7 elements). And the "R" is newer than the 1,5, the summarit was remplaced by the summilux M at the end of the 50's.

The summilux M 1,4/50 had a beautifull bokeh (at least for me, of course) and was contemporary to the Summicron R 2/50.

I can't find the point of the comparision (you use the term "vs."). Perhaps if you help me, I can do that.

Rino

Yup, may be 'vs' is not the most accurate description of the inquiry. Please pardon the inaccuracy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Summarit at one time ... back when Kodachrome II was pretty new on the market. It seems to get a lot of bashing these days, but I still have some of the slides I made with it and they honestly aren't that bad ! If you read Erwin Puts' description of it, I'm fairly sure you might want to walk away and leave it, which might be a pity if you enjoy using older lenses. And it IS an "old lens" - designed originally in Britain in the 1920s at the Taylor Hobson works. I wish now I'd kept mine, but I think I sold it to buy a Summicron . . .

Oddly enough, I never noticed the "swirly bokeh" effect. I'll have to dig out my old slides and have a look when I get the time.

And ... we should be more careful with our abbreviations, perhaps, and use " cf. " instead of " vs. " when making comparisons. I just looked that up in my dictionary Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stephen

I have question the use of "vs" because I understood that the theme was about which lens was better. And in this way, it seemed to me that the comparison was not adecuate. Different lenses, different times, didn´t be just for the summarit.

I never want to corrected a member, only ask a question. Embarassed

With my special english I can't correct to anybody. Laughing

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Hi Stephen

I have question the use of "vs" because I understood that the theme was about which lens was better. And in this way, it seemed to me that the comparison was not adecuate. Different lenses, different times, didn´t be just for the summarit.

I never want to corrected a member, only ask a question. Embarassed

With my special english I can't correct to anybody. Laughing

Regards, Rino.

Hi Rino ! Oh please don't think I'm being difficult about language - but coincidentally the use of cf and vs had come up in my job only yesterday. I agree that this could indeed be a case where vs might be fine, it's just that I think that "vs" can so easily have a confrontational air about it and encourage people to let their partisan nature out Smile And your English is fine !