Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica Summitar 5cm f2.0 Leica screw
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Leica Summitar 5cm f2.0 Leica screw Reply with quote

Processed pictures , my usual batch contrast, color and sharpening fix applied.
Most shoots at F8 in ideal light, some of them wide open. One close building shoot made in shadow.

non processed images are here >>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely old lens and great example of the leica 'glow'. i didnt know you shot leica attila? how did you lime the resukts?
tony

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
lovely old lens and great example of the leica 'glow'. i didnt know you shot leica attila? how did you lime the resukts?
tony

I am not a Leica fun buy , but I try every pieces gladly I like Russian clones better and Carl Zeiss Jena lenses from this age.
I think this is a very nice sharp lens, with excellent bokeh.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it has a lot of character. i like how it renders.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luscious results indeed.
I have to say that it's the first time that I see a 50 Summitar lens produce this smooth bokeh. All other 50 Summitar samples
that I've previously seen showed a more edgy bokeh.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always been sorry I could not afford a leica lens. This shows me what I am missing

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Always been sorry I could not afford a leica lens. This shows me what I am missing patrickh

Take it's clone Industar-22 collapsible result is not much different and very affordable.
http://forum.mflenses.com/industar-22-5cm-collapsible-red-p-ser71xxx-panasonic-g1-t46318,highlight,%2Bindustar.html

Last edited by Attila on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Luscious results indeed.
I have to say that it's the first time that I see a 50 Summitar lens produce this smooth bokeh. All other 50 Summitar samples

Perhaps only background is key difference once I shoot samples for bokeh usually I care about background distance to get better result.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very good for such an old lens indeed.
If you consider about that the lens was produced nearly unchanged from 1939 to 1953 it's really stunning (As far as I know they only changed coatings and the shape of the aperture blades which would explain why Orio expected different bokeh from it).

The lens has 7 elements so it's far more than a simple Sonnar 50/2 copy (6 elements) like what most lens makers did at this time.
Results are looking imho better than my coated Jupiter-8 and I bet build quality and haptics are also somewhat better.

@Attila: Be careful with cleaning! The glas is known to be very soft!

Attila wrote:
patrickh wrote:
Always been sorry I could not afford a leica lens. This shows me what I am missing patrickh

Take it's clone Industar-22 collapsible result is not much different and very affordable.

Or collapsible Industar-50 is also good
Both not F2 though and they have 4 instead of 7 elements, so they are more modified collapsible Leitz Elmar copies than Summitar clones of course.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:38 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for additional info and warn especially about soft surface.
I confirm quality of collapsible I-50 excellent lens indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see a vintage Leica lens test. Smile

Summitar is very sharp but I don't like the glow or lower contrast or whatever it is, I'd rather have a J-8 I think, I prefer the rendering.

I have a collapsible I-50 from 1959, LZOS made, heavy chromed brass, it's possibly the best Tessar type lens I've ever tried, really sharp but also strong colours and contrast.

I have a collapsible I-22 too, red P, KMZ made, 1950-something, it's aluminium, not quite as nice as the I-50.

But for me, it's gotta be the Jupiter-8, I have 1955, 57 and 58 red P ones, all superb.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Luscious results indeed.

The Summitar comes in different versions, coated, uncoated, with different numbers of aperture blades etc.

And the bokeh is dependend on how strong the highlights are. It can produce very smooth bokeh if the highlights are not very strong.

Anyway, it's a great lens!!