Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica Myth
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Leica Myth Reply with quote

Leica is coming slowly in this forum like fungus. Every day new member catch this dangerous virus. I had to check this intruder.

Today I checked a macro elmarit 60 37xx. Cloud and wind but I can give my first impressions

Good
Small, light & look solid enough
Leica is written on it

not so good
the focus barel is more far than other lens & I cannot put my left hand under the dslr body as with others manual lens when I focus
nothing exceptional wide open
chromatic aberration

I would never say NO for a leica, but it's have to do more with the MYTH than performance.

f5.6 no sharpening, 100% crop very good

f8 helios 44 vs leica; the helios have more contrast, good bokeh for the 2

100% crop, leica is better than helios but not by much

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting results. Especially considering that the Elmarit 60 Macro is considered by many one of the best Leica lenses. Although, this must be kept in mind, Leica owes its reputation to the rangefinder lenses. At the camera fair of two weeks ago, a seller told me "Leica rangefinder lenses are really the best that exists. The reflex lenses, hmmm..."

In all fairness, I own 6 Leica reflex lenses, and they are all very good. No, actually, excellent.
I notice a difference between them, in that the Elmarits I have (35, 90, 135, 180) are sharp wide open, while the Summicrons (I have 50, 90) are soft wide open, but deliver a lot of 3D effect.

However, I can not say that they are significantly sharper than, for instance, my Contax lenses, or some of my best Nikon lenses (like 1.4/50) or Russian lenses (like Helios-40-2).
Actually, in some cases, like Sonnar 3.5/100, or Planar 2/135, I find the Contax to be sharper, even wide open.

What I think really sets Leica lenses a bit apart is their performance wide open (in the case of Elmarits), and their corner performance.
Something that can also be said of Contax lenses.
I took all my Carnevale pictures last Sunday, with an Elmarit 2.8/135 and a Planar 2/135, both very near to wide open, and honestly, the difference between them, and other very good 135 lenses that I have, is visible, because the other good lenses that I have would have given also this clarity and detail, but at f/5.6 or f/8.

-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
However, I can not say that they are significantly sharper than, for instance, my Contax lenses, or some of my best Nikon lenses (like 1.4/50) or Russian lenses (like Helios-40-2).

You express my feelings better than me.
To be honest I have to say that performance are very very good wide open.
When I say about chromatic aberration & not exceptional sharpness wide open, it was vs my contax 60; not a fair comparison.
I also like that perfect infinite position and noiseless of barrel for the elmarit 60 & elmarit 24 I tried; that's show perfection of leica mechanics.
I would be happy to have one of those myth lenses but it's also good to remember sometimes they are just lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, there is not much difference in quality, specially wrt non specialized lenses among different manufacturer (Like Canon MP-E and T/S lenses are legendary).
One of the reason of using Russian and Tak lenses (for me) is, I dont get much by paying extra to Canon. And I like the feeling of my Manual Focus lenses.
You can say this in between manual focus lenses too. Pick any 135mm lens, you will beating any crappy AF zoom. Still Tak and Jup are different.
and after using Planar 50/1.7, I can say: that lens is of different league from Canon and other lenses...
I am getting my first Leica, so will able to find some myth/reality check (I dont have much hope though, how some lens can be much better than Jupiter and old Nikkor-P 105/2.5).

Net has lot of discussion on this., check this thread,

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1029&thread=26427053

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:

Net has lot of discussion on this., check this thread,
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1029&thread=26427053

hmm... I'm not a fan of dpreview forum. THere is full of very basic level amateurs who pretend to know it all and have all the answers.
Example: in this thread, the original poster bases his assumptions on a series of totally crappy image samples. I mean, if you are not even able to take a picture without motion blur, or with correct focusing, how can you get credibility for lens reviews? Learn your tools first - then stand up and give lessons!
He makes a series of generic statements ("I found out that the Minolta Lens design philosophy differed from the Canon philosophy") without ever getting factual (like it would be commenting different lens schematics). And as final arguments he displays a series of mostly bad image samples that prove nothing about the quality of his endorsed lens (actually they may even prove something against it!).
I mean it's perfectly ok to prefer one lens over another, but pretending to make of this a factual (almost scientifical) truth, with support of absolutely poor evidences, is only an exercise in presumption.

-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
I dont have much hope though

Leica are really great lenses, you will like & respect them

At 2.8 leica is much better but helios 44 still a good lens
This sample is 100 iso <-> last was 400 iso because of wind and cloud

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poilu

Thanks for those samples - I feel better now, since I do not have any Leica lenses. At this point I am uncertain about Helios also, because of my experience with a 40 described in another thread. BTW it is in its third complete day of baking in light UV.

Orio. Could not agree with you more about dpreview and the flimsy threads that are prevalent on that site. I think its popularity is its undoing, with the Lowest Common Denominator taking over. Also those scientific tests with lots of charts can tell you if a lens has the basic ingredients to be good, but "magical" is something you can only see in real life examples.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I'm not a fan of dpreview forum. THere is full of very basic level amateurs who pretend to know it all and have all the answers.-

You are on spot here... I never go to any of these forums... first I dont like the GUI... and second, whats the point in showing off (like most of people are doing there)...

I reach to these forums through Google search only Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is no really bad Leica lens. Most of the Leica lenses are even excellent glass (and I think there is quite a difference visible between the Leica and the Helios shot, although I agree the Helios is by no means a bad lens, which again only show how good the Leica lens really is...)

Anyway, the Leica myth has several sources:

- Some great photographers used Leica and so it crept into people's minds that is the gear that took these fantastic shots.
- Leica has always had an extremely strict quality controlling, thus you could always be sure that your Leica lens was no lemon.
- Leica has always asked for high prices. People tend to think that things that are expensive must be good.
- Leica gear is very pleasant to use. It's an awesome feeling to turn a Leica focus ring. You really "feel" that it went through a fantastic building process. When I used an M3 with a Summicron for the first time, I was simply amazed by the "haptical" impression. And of course...
- Leica lenses are excellent performers!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio - good observations about dpreview. I do still check in there but it's mainly for an entertainment value than it is to actually learn anything. Still sometimes someone does come there honestly looking for help. I saw the post there about the 50mms. It was linked to another post in the k/M forum I still read as an older Minolta shooter. I too was amazed at the poor quality images being used as a sample of his "Minolta" color.

It's also hard to say anything about pictures posted there without being flames if you don't give a generic "it's great". Heck, I want people to tear my images up, it's the only way I get better. Yet there even those that say C & C welcome don't truly mean it.

But anyway, I'm hoping to catch some good light tonight after work to try out my two new Leica lenses. I hope th images are crappy so I won't be tempted to look for more, Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesdak wrote:
... I hope th images are crappy so I won't be tempted to look for more, Laughing

Chances are not very high. So be prepared to be tempted! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens is Carl Zeiss another ones just somebody make them LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Macro-Elmarit-R 2.8/60 is a good all purpose lens, a slightly long "normal" when used on an FF body. It is a macro lens which also works well at infinity and is sharp corner to corner on FF, especially when slightly stopped down. If you look at the published data, at the full aperture it is slightly sharper than the CZ Sonnar 2.8/85 at the center and slightly worse off-center. At f/5.6 it is slightly better, also slightly better than the Planar 1.4/85 and much better than either of the 50 mm Planars - that is, much when we are speaking of very high quality lenses. When testing lenses at this level, even the slightest misalignment of the elements of the specific lens or a very minor focusing error will make a lot of difference in MTF and the perceived sharpness at the absolutely "sick" enlargement of a 100% crop on screen.

I've got a Macro-Elmarit and I've had nothing to complain about. I've also got a Sonnar 2.8/85, both the 50 mm Planars, an MC Volna-9 2.8/50 Macro and many other reasonably high quality 45-58 mm lenses. If I would have to choose to keep just one lens of this lot, I'd quite certainly choose the Macro-Elmarit.

Here is a link to a hand-held, unsharpened shot with the Macro-Elmarit on 5D, note the corner to corner performance at "infinity" and the reasonably low purple fringing:
http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos5d_files/e60_7423lz.jpg

As far as resolution is concerned, a 350D is slightly more demanding than a 5D. Here is link to my Macro-Elmarit on 350D page:
http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_elmarit60.html

The linked full-size images are unsharpened. Note the very reasonable CA (is there any worth speaking of?) and the bokeh, which is quite good for a sharp lens.

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:

As far as resolution is concerned, a 350D is slightly more demanding than a 5D. Here is link to my Macro-Elmarit on 350D page:

My, thats a nice selection of whiskies on photo 7022. Razz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
vilva wrote:

Yes, they claim to have 300+ whiskies on the shelves, mostly single malts Razz Razz

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote:
vilva wrote:

Yes, they claim to have 300+ whiskies on the shelves, mostly single malts Razz Razz

Veijo

Dreamland!