Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica Digilux 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Leica Digilux 2 Reply with quote

Through a strange combination of factors I acquired yesterday a Leica Digilux 2: it was put up for sale from a local Leica shop for about 1/3 its going price, with all its accessories, only 3k shutter actuations and a 1-yr warranty. I guess the few scratches around the strap lugs make it a junk item for most Leica aficionados.

I never thought about getting one, and even though I only got it to resell it and make some needed cash, after a few hours of use I'm not so sure anymore I want to let it go. It's a weird beast: it looks like an analog rangefinder camera, it has fully manual controls even on the very fast zoom (28-90mm 2.0), a ridiculously crappy EVF which nonetheless does its job pretty well, awful noise above 100 ISO, and very slow RAW write times (about 6 seconds).

But evidently all those decades designing cameras for action shooting are not lost on Leica, at least for some of its products: the D2 handles beautifully, it's a marvel of balance and feel. It's hard to explain, but the feeling is totally different from any other digital camera I ever handled. It's almost like there's a small genie inside that makes you want to use it to take pictures.

It not only handles well, its lens is great, and it has a few well thought out functions that are really useful, especially if you are not the type to carry around a bag full of equipment. I especially like the built-in bounce flash, which coupled with EV flash correction makes the camera a great ambient light shooter.

Right now, I'm trying to decide whether to sell it, or my Polaroid 600se. It's a tough call. If you want to read more about the D2, there's a great review in three parts by Thorsten Overgaard.

Here are a couple of pictures I took today while doing errands with my two women.

the obligatory b&w shot

and my two women Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked for this cam for years now, but all the copies I found went for ridiculously high prices!
I love the way this cam looks. And I think it could be a great cam for de-accelerated photography.
Would still love to have one...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I have looked for this cam for years now, but all the copies I found went for ridiculously high prices!
I love the way this cam looks. And I think it could be a great cam for de-accelerated photography.

Heh, if I decide to let it go I can let you know before it goes on ebay or similar.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Perhaps you have to look for the Panasonic brother which maybe cheaper.
Unfortunately no Leica feeling and no red dot Laughing Laughing
I owned the Leica I believe until 2007 and this cam was the first P&S I was really satisfied with.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Panasonic Lumix L-1 it's bigger brighter brother.. the Leica clone is the Digilux 3...

It has a real optical viewfinder, same funky shape (though larger) and the same weird flash..

Oh and of course being 4/3 almost limitless possibilities for lenses.. and the Oly 14-42 tested almost as well (bar the stabilzer) as the 'Leica' vario-elmarit which is no more Leica than I am..., Smile

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need another DSLR, especially with a tiny and dark viewfinder. Smile

What I'd love is a digital fixed lens rangefinder camera. The new Fuji is what I'd love, except for its 35mm lens which is slightly too wide for my tastes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Leica Digilux 2 Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
Right now, I'm trying to decide whether to sell it, or my Polaroid 600se. It's a tough call.

What a strange choice? It's like choosing between a box of apples and a power hammer .. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Leica Digilux 2 Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
What a strange choice? It's like choosing between a box of apples and a power hammer .. Smile

I love the 600se and it takes fantastic pictures, but it's too bulky to carry around so I almost never use it. And the only film available here is fp-100c, if fp-3000b were easily available and as cheap as in the US, it would be a different matter.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to put the D2 for sale. Any interested members from MFL have priority, and a much cheaper price than what it'll fetch on ebay. It's a grea user camera with some marks on the body around the strap lugs, pretty common with earlier D2, and a very small (1 or 2mm circle) mark on the front lens only visible in contra light, like an evaporated drop which might or might not clean off. Double batteries, hood, filter adapter, and 3k shutter actuations. A formal ad in the marketplace soon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Heh, if I decide to let it go I can let you know before it goes on ebay or similar.

Yes, please!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at these images, I can definitely see the rapture for this camera.
The few ones offered on ebay go for insane money.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided not to keep the D2, and since Karsten has been looking for one for years, to sell it to him at a similar price than what I paid. He will attend a Leica event in the weekend, so I shipped it in a hurry, and since miracles sometimes happen, shipment took 24 hrs from the central post office in Milan to his doorstep in Germany. Smile

Now I'm very curious about his reactions to the camera, after having dreamed about it for years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
I decided not to keep the D2, and since Karsten has been looking for one for years, to sell it to him at a similar price than what I paid. He will attend a Leica event in the weekend, so I shipped it in a hurry, and since miracles sometimes happen, shipment took 24 hrs from the central post office in Milan to his doorstep in Germany. Smile

Now I'm very curious about his reactions to the camera, after having dreamed about it for years.

Cool, it went to capable hands! Carsten, post some photos when you can! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

Post them also if you can't! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

Post them also if you can't! Laughing

Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Yes, it's incredible. Ludo sent the package yesterday morning and today at lunch break it arrived at my house. Just by coincidence I was at home when it came by UPS. WOW!

I wondered who sent me something via UPS and then I saw "Poste italiana" on the box. OMG! Could that be true?
Indeed, it was!

With trembling fingers I signed on this mobile computer they use and went inside. In unpacked the perfectly wrapped camera and fell (again) in love with it immediately. What a beauty!!

I first let it acclimatize a little, since it is rather cold outside. And after a while I turned on the camera.

It starts much faster than I have expected and focusing (AF) is also pretty fast. My veins are still buzzing with adrenaline. It is as Ludo wrote: just imagine you have wished for something for years and now you are able to hold it in your hands! Amazing!

Of course, I will show you some images, but it's already getting dark outside. So it will have to wait until tomorrow, I'm afraid.

BTW, I just have heard that I won't be able to attend the Leica Academy Show on Saturday. Unfortunately, I have some work to do which is due on Monday, so it's going to be a work weekend. Sad
I was so looking forward to take photos with a Leica at the Leica event. But the Digilux 2 more than compensates that. Smile

I'm sure I will love that cam! More later...

BTW, thanks again Ludo for this fantastic offer! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carsten, congrats for your new equipment. One of the best P&S cams I ever owned. Below 2 shots out of that time (2005)

location > 1st : Palamós / Spain; 2nd : Aiguablava-Begur / Spain
Wink

Last edited by Rolf on Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First P&S I see that resembles quality of SLR. Impressive.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some first images: http://forum.mflenses.com/digilux-2-first-images-t34301.html