Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Landscape Use of S-Planar 1:2.8 f=60mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Landscape Use of S-Planar 1:2.8 f=60mm Reply with quote

Many know and appreciate the Contax S-Planar 1:2.8 f=60mm (later to be rebaptized Makro-Planar 2.8/60)
for macro photography, but perhaps not everybody knows that it can be terrific as a landscape lens also.
CA is virtually non-existent (even if this lens is not labeled "Apo") and performance at infinity challenges that
of the best general-use standard lenses (while most macro lenses display a visible quality fall at infinity).
This 1:1 Erhard Glatzel design really deserves the status of "legendary".

Here's a few photos that I took hand-held on Oct.10th (in fact these are my last photos as a 40-something person):

100% crop of previous: no CA even in this extreme backlight situation; excellent shadow detail thanks to the lens' outstanding contrast and T* performance

100% crop of previous

100% crop of previous: note how the finest detail is rendered (see corrugated surface of window's glass)

100% crop of previous

100% crop of previous: accurate rendering of finest detail and virtually no CA

100% crop of previous: excellent dimensionality even between all distant planes

100% crop of previous

100% crop of previous: perfect infinity focus even in this challenging situation

100% crop of previous: no CA in sight even in this extreme situation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely. one would not think to use a macro lens in this fashion, but obviously this is as special as you describe it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio - you're absolutely right

I have got MP 2.8/60 (non-s version) Made in Japan

and it is UNBELIEVABLE --

Well, your pictures are absolutely great proof of that ..

No doubt that it can be used for landscape..

The Zeiss pop-up is evident + lovely colours,

I have had Leica Macro 2.8/60 before -- sold it immediately after first try of Zeiss MP 2.8/60

Leica is good - but Makro-Planar 2.8/60 is something special

tf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, very nice samples from a stellar lens. If I had to keep only one lens this would be it.

I prefer the C version as it's easier to hand-hold. I will be selling the 1:1 version soon!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it works astonishingly well, (also the 100mm version btw.) - thanks for these excellent proofs of that!