Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kuribayashi Petri C.C. Orikkor 2/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Kuribayashi Petri C.C. Orikkor 2/50 Reply with quote

Petri is not generally a name which is held in high regard by the photographic community at large. They're mostly remembered for cheap rangefinders and unreliable SLRs. But amongst those of us who know better - Petri did make a few very nice lenses.
Their very first SLR lens, the Orikkor 2/50 is one of those nice lenses. It is a unique lens amongst those made for 35mm SLRs. A modified planar type with seven elements in four groups. The rendering of this lens is special. It's not for everybody, but those who like sparkling bokeh or "character" lenses would love to have one of these.

Comparing front and back OOF rendering. Both are rather interesting.

At f/2 there is a bit of glow - yet the focus is still perfectly sharp in the center.

Nice colors and contrast.

All above photos taken at f/2 or f/2.8 - the wide open glow disappears as soon as the lens is stopped down so you have easy control over that aspect of the lens's rendering. The sparkly bokeh remains even down to f/5.6 so if you like that sort of thing this is one lens that will do it at apertures smaller than wide open. It is a very fun lens to have around.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: Our member Nesster(Jussi) does have an ads for this lens and the Petri Penta.

Petri Penta 1960 by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful flowers... #1 bokeh is just stunning!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Petri Penta IV and a Penta V, both came with the 1.8/55, which is a superb lens. never seen this Orrikor before. All Petri lenses apart from the 1.8/55 are rare in the UK. I have three other Petri lenses and they are nothing special sadly, but the 1.8/55 remains a favourite.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I particularly like the first one. I picked up one about a year ago,and though not had time to use it extensively I did some test shots initially and noted the bokeh, I`ve also seen some very good mono shots with it on the net. Some of mine if you don`t mind me adding..no pp in the first or last, SOC. A rear cemented triplet in the 7 elements I believe which would have been costly to make in the 50`s from what I`ve read. i need to take it out more.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the contributions.

I think this is one of the most interesting lenses in my collection, I've been using it on my film camera lately and can't wait to see what the results look like on film.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petri 35/2.8 seems to have same formula, since it also has same sparkly bokeh and dreamy look.
Also, petri 2x teleconverter seems to introduce much less distortion, purple fringing or resolution loss compared to vivitars, prinzes, sears or whatsoever. Quality is almost as good as Tamron adaptall teleconverters.

It should be noted that Petri breech lock lens are relatively easy to convert say to Canon or Sony mount. I have done it several times. Just won 55/1.4, 55/1.8, 200/4, 2x teleconverter and some enlarger lens for $35 inc. shipping, will fit them to Sony Alpha and let you know the results.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are utterly stunning. I just won one on Ebay only to be messaged to say that it was a mistake and that it sold to somebody else yesterday. ARRGGGHHH

(I bet it sold to somebody who saw this thread hahaha)

Question: Are the plain Petri 55 f2 lenses the same design?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind to share: How did you adapted to digital? isn't it a petri mount bayonet mount? cheers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. There is also a Kuribayashi 55mm f2 lens without the "Orikkor" in the name ring but with it in the lens shade. Do you know if it shares an alalog 7 elements optical formula with the 50mm f2? This pictures are from a seller.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I`ve read on here and elsewhere only the original M42 1958/59 screwmount orikkors for the original Penta camera had this formula. The next generation of dedicated Petri bayonet mount lenses were reputedly made by Kyoei Acall who were also good lens makers but the formula changed.

No one knows who made the Orikkor, it has a 1950`s RF feel and look about it if that makes sense to anyone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm honestly of the opinion that Petri made their normal lenses and only the long and short lenses were bought in. Several of the Petri normals have no equivalents in other brands, and they all render pretty similarly suggesting they were calculated with the same formulas. In the 1950s it was common for Japanese camera companies to make their own lenses, it was really only after the introduction of the SLR which required many different lens designs that companies began to contract other manufacturers to supply them.

Only the first Penta and the very last Petri SLRs used M42 mount, the Orikkor here uses M42 mount so there is no issue adapting it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The petri bayonet mount lens can be RELATIVELY easy adapted to other mounts.

First, determine which generation of lens you have. 1st gen has round aperture pin and 2nd gen has flat aperture pin. 1st gen is easier to adapt:

1. Set lens to maximum open aperture, Unscrew the pin and two screws holding the bayonet mount on lens.
2. Remove that silver bayonet ring.
3. Pull up gently the rear part.
4. there will be two screws which hold the pin assembly and a spring, carefuly remove them.
5. Using pliers, dremel, hacksaw or whatsoever, file down the protrunding pin gently, without bending it.
6. Take a M42 lens adapter to your camera, mount on lathe and slowly increase inner hole diameter, until it will be possible to insert rear part of petri lens into it.
7. Re assemble the lens (do not mount bayonet lock), you will ned new screws, shorter and with flat head, als you will need small countersink, so these screw heads will be flush with mount.
8. Slide on M42 mount, use small amount of glue to fix it alltogether. Please note, glue should be only between cylindrical parts, not between adapter and lens flat surfaces.

Text might be a bit obscure, but who's into mechanics, will get it with ease, and others won't be able to do anything anyway.

There's a method to avoid usage of glue - when expanding the M42 adapter, leave a bit of metal, then heat adapter slowly from all sides over gas heater and slide it over mount while it is hot.

For the lens with flat pin (most zooms and 135, 200mm lens), story is different and much more handwork is required.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Kuribayashi without orikor name, bayonet mount
here's sample

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Petri Orikkor Kurabayashi 50mm f/2 help with re-assembly. Reply with quote

I have two copies of this lens (the M42 50mm f/2), both off of Petri Flex bodies. I have one that works well, and one that didn't, so I took it apart and cleaned the excess lubricant (lots) with denatured alcohol. Despite the simple mechanism, I can't sort out how to get the reverse threaded sleeve, the forward threaded focus mechanism, and the aperture control ring to go back together meaningfully.

It's a bit of a Catch-22. You can get the focus mechanism/optics seated in their spot, without the counter-rotating sleeve, and the aperture pin in place and working correctly, but then there's no way to get the sleeve in place.

When I disassembled it, I removed the optics unit out first, and removed the sleeve after the fact.

Any pointers welcome!

(The fully assembled and functioning unit is on the left. I am loathe to mess with it for fear of ending up in the same predicament.)

(Edit: I tried to take just the outer sleeve off of the assembled one and now I have two disassembled Orikkors, unfortunately. It's like a Chinese finger trap. The entire mechanism relies on a pin that interlocks with the aperture mechanism to focus. H E L P.)

https://flic.kr/p/LryTBf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuribayashi C.C. Petri Orikkor 55mm F2 Mixed Apertures. Small Tube. Fuji X-E2. Processed with LR and X-Tran. Click on the image for them to open in full screen and center.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the price of this lens, usually? I have not found any one on eBay.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petri 1.4/55mm is also substantially different from any other in the category (Tomioka, Cosina, Rikenon, Yashinon...). Also it has the largest rear element of them all.
Some discussion here: http://forum.mflenses.com/petri-cc-auto-55mm-f1-4-t33972.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various sites say Kyoei are the manufacturers of almost all Petri lenses, with Chinon supplying some.

Here's just one page..http://www.savazzi.net/photography/35kyoei.html

The family resemblance is obvious... Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never looked upon Petri lenses as being of inferior quality. Rather, I think Petri glass always was known for offering the buyer excellent value.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
What is the price of this lens, usually? I have not found any one on eBay.

I think I paid $35

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Recently?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
Thanks. Recently?

Yes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images, right from the start of this topic. It's a lens I'll buy when I see one for sure. I love my 55 / 1.8 Petri, so another won't hurt. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more recent ones from me from the 50mm f2 Orikkor M42 mount.1st one on a small tube.

It is rare but not expensive, can be picked up on an original Petri Penta body if you have the luck