Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Petri CC Auto 55mm/f1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Petri CC Auto 55mm/f1.4 Reply with quote

Who is the maker and what IQ can be expected from it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maker is Petri - they were making their own stuff. See more history here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petri_Camera

I have a 55/1.8 and I can't see a lot of difference in output comparing it to the SMC Takumar 55/1.8 - the Petri might be a bit softer wide open, but other than that I'd have to do targeted tests to find differences. The build feels more fragile, but it works smoothly. Mine has similar lettering on the front as the 55/1.4 depicted there, but the barrel is styled differently. It's a lesser known brand so prices are still small.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of interest how do you adapt them, and what camera do you mount them on? I have one put away somewhere purchased in error for nothing Embarassed Embarassed

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is certainly possible that Petri made lenses, or at least participated in the collective production of lenses among the Japanese network of parts suppliers.

I suspect though that they did not, or at least not for most of them. Several Petri lenses even of the classic 1960's period are obviously made by third parties, much like lenses of the same period from Mamiya, Ricoh, etc.

The 55/1.4 however does not seem to be a variant of the "Tomioka" (alleged) 55/1.4 that is commonly found in Mamiya, Ricoh, Yashica styling. Maybe they did make that one.

Conversion - there is no Petri mount-anything else converter that I know of (I do have an original Petri made M42-Petri adapter ! But thats not what anyone wants)

The Petri register is just 43.5mm apparently, like Minolta MD, so conversion to most popular mounts may be difficult. Possibly helping the case is that this measurement may be from the back of the bayonet flange, as there seems to be space in front of the flange. It would be interesting to try anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed that the OP lens has Petri bayonet mount. Petri did make some M42 lenses as well. The 55/1.8 I have is M42 and I've seen a 135/2.8 in M42 mount as well.

Also, on second look, this 55/1.4 has the same aperture ring style as my 55/1.8.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
Maker is Petri - they were making their own stuff.

Of course Petri is the most obvious choice but most obvious doesn't always mean correct Smile

luisalegria wrote:

The 55/1.4 however does not seem to be a variant of the "Tomioka" (alleged) 55/1.4 that is commonly found in Mamiya, Ricoh, Yashica styling. Maybe they did make that one.

I also hope this one is different from Tomioka. But I saw this style of DOF scale on some other lenses so I am pretty sure this is some 3rd party made lens (unless I saw it on another Petri lens Very Happy).

luisalegria wrote:

The Petri register is just 43.5mm apparently, like Minolta MD, so conversion to most popular mounts may be difficult. Possibly helping the case is that this measurement may be from the back of the bayonet flange, as there seems to be space in front of the flange. It would be interesting to try anyway.

This is exactly what I am counting on. It seems there is plenty of space between an aperture ring and bayonet to play with. I thought for $15 it worth a try.

patrickh wrote:

As a matter of interest how do you adapt them, and what camera do you mount them on?

No idea. I hope it is possible to convert it. I prefer to convert it to M42. In the worst case - to Canon EF.

Last edited by dimitrygo on Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a Petri Auto C.C. 1.7/50. Optically it was rather good (not stellar, though) but its built was terrible. I was afraid to mount it on the cam, because I expected it to fall apart. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Petri send to the marlet the MF1, it was in the expensive side of M42 cams.

the lenses were 28 mm, 1,8 and 2,8 normal lenses and 135 mm. At least in this way was anunciated in Italy at the end of the 70's magazines.

The 55 lenses seems to be a 60's one. With the characteristics of the mamiya, riocoh, etc.

So, I can wait:
1- Lens prone to flare.
2- medium contrast-
3- coma till 5,6
4- shift focus from 0,03 to 0,05
5- better apertures: 5,6-8. The second group 11 and 4 (better contrast at 11 because not MC lens).
6- Something flat images wide open.

I hope than in the 90% will stay between that items.

Show us your pics.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I used to have a Petri Auto C.C. 1.7/50. Optically it was rather good (not stellar, though) but its built was terrible. I was afraid to mount it on the cam, because I expected it to fall apart. Wink

Yes, I think I saw this lens on ebay. It even looks fragile. This 55/1.4 looks rather solid.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
The 55 lenses seems to be a 60's one. With the characteristics of the mamiya, riocoh, etc.

I still hope it is different from Tomioka lenses. I already have 3 Tomioka's, don't need another one Smile

estudleon wrote:

So, I can wait:
1- Lens prone to flare.
2- medium contrast-
3- coma till 5,6
5- better apertures: 5,6-8. The second group 11 and 4 (better contrast at 11 because not MC lens).

I don't find pictures from my Mamiya 55/1.4 flat at 1.4. Not very contrast, yes, but not flat.

estudleon wrote:

Show us your pics.

I need to receive it and convert to some usable mount. I am afraid it will take too long as I have other projects in my list.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
estudleon wrote:

So, I can wait:
1- Lens prone to flare.
2- medium contrast-
3- coma till 5,6

I don't find pictures from my Mamiya 55/1.4 flat at 1.4. Not very contrast, yes, but not flat.

Hi.

In my opinion, the level of contrast is a comparative question.

If you compare your mamiya 1,4 pic with a takumar one, yes, you will be right. Not flat.

But if you do the same with the planar, AI nikon, Summilux, perhaps your mamiya image can be flat (or very low contrast if you prefer that word).

I can be wrong, of course. But i see the question in that way.

Regards,

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Hi.

If you compare your mamiya 1,4 pic with a takumar one, yes, you will be right. Not flat.

But if you do the same with the planar, AI nikon, Summilux, perhaps your mamiya image can be flat (or very low contrast if you prefer that word).

Regards,

Rino.

Sure, contrast is not just comparable but measurable characteristic. And I can readily believe you that the lenses you mention are cotrastier than Mamiya.
Personally I think the high contrast lenses on digital cameras are not so desirable because of a relatively limited dynamic range of the sensor. Low contrast picture (well, may be not too low) can be boosted in editor to a desirable level but too conrast picture cannot be rescued. Of course this depends also on a subject and shooting conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
estudleon wrote:
Hi.

Regards,

Rino.

Sure, contrast is not just comparable but measurable characteristic. And I can readily believe you that the lenses you mention are cotrastier than Mamiya.
Personally I think the high contrast lenses on digital cameras are not so desirable because of a relatively limited dynamic range of the sensor. Low contrast picture (well, may be not too low) can be boosted in editor to a desirable level but too conrast picture cannot be rescued. Of course this depends also on a subject and shooting conditions.

Sorry Dimitrygo. I'm speacking about your lens but I did not say that I only use film.

And I agree about the contrastier lenses effect and the digital process.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:

Of course Petri is the most obvious choice but most obvious doesn't always mean correct Smile

Right. But it doesn't always mean incorrect either.

I didn't say Petri is the maker because it was obvious to me. I said it because I never saw a mention of Petri lenses being made by someone else and the lens I have does not look like anything else I've seen around.

One characteristic I've seen only for Petri is the lettering that looks as if it was engraved by hand. Your lens has the same style of aperture ring as mine. The focusing ring and the dof scale are different, but the front looks again very similar. I bet that if you hold the front and the mount and you twist the front counterclockwise, it will unscrew.

Unfortunately, there isn't enough information available to settle this one way or another. There's an older thread on this topic that didn't get further:
http://forum.mflenses.com/who-is-petri-cosinon-t7897.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you find any new info on Petri lenses perhaps? I just wanted to open new topic but found this one already existed.
In my opinion Petri (bayonet, till 1976) lenses are genuine and carefully designed. One may say delicate.
List of Petri models with sample photos: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/petri

Here 1.8/55mm (Iangreen being a great promotor). Found at http://www.chrisfisherart.com

2.8/35mm

Possible adaptation (butchery) to PK: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/112238-petri-c-c-auto-55mm-1-8-goes-under-knife.html

C.C. refers to 'Color Corrected'.

A posible clue connecting them with Tamron: Click here to see on Ebay.de

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Petri lenses, no idea who made them though.

The 1.8/55 is a cracking lens, sharp wide open, swirly bokeh, nice colours and contrast, a personal favourite.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Very nice lens.

I found the rendering similar to the rokkor.

Rino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Petri made all of their "normal" lenses themselves. At least until the M42 era. They may have relied on a number of manufacturers for wide and long lenses, although I don't know who.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have 2.8/35 and 4/200 Petris, both good lenses, the 35 is very similar to the 50 in looks, the 200 could be a third party lens, not sure. The later M42 and PK Petris are third-party, the PK ones are Cosina made, in fact just Cosine products rebadged, same lenses appear with Cosina branding. I wonder if Tomioka made the 1.8/55 as it is very similar in many ways to other 1.8/55s of the same era from Pentax, Yashica etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Petri 55mm f2.8 M42 Reply with quote

Got this at a yard sale

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Petri 55mm f2.8 M42 Reply with quote

Jimmy637 wrote:
Got this at a yard sale

Welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this tessar type Petri lens near begining of the 70's. The cam was Petri Ft1 or similar.

A combo with 1,8/55, 2,8/135 and 2,8/35 or 3,5/28.

One italian magazine of that time said that was a very expensive camera to be a M42 one. I saw the same camera with Carena brand.

Rino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh...I forgot....it's nice to see a tessar lens in 55 mm.

Rino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any 55/1.4 of the late seventies is suspect to be a Zeiss (Contarex) Planar copy, which patent (Johann Berger, 1959) ran out back in 1975.
Examples were Mamiya and Rollei (7 elements/ 5 groups)

Zeiss Oberkochen didn't prolongated it, because with the new 50/1.4 Planar (Glatzel), close to an Ultron type, Zeiss had a lens which runs circles around its predecessor and was even more compact.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This POS came with the camera they couldn't even get the aperture scale in the middle, but one day I'll check it out to see if the pictures are crap too.

Petri 45mm f2.8