Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.4 Reply with quote

I've been a good boy and haven't bought a lens for the whole 2 weeks. However, all things come to an end. Today the mailman brought the package with another Hexanon. There was a discussion recently, which Hexanon 50 is the best, soon I will know...

Meanwhile here's the loot that this lens brought me within one hour family walk. The coatings are very good -- check out the river picture, the sun is just outside the frame. I haven't compared it directly to my "best" 50s - Canon FD 50/1.4 and 1.2 and Minolta MD 50/1.4, but the lens is a cracker for sure. All shots are with E-PL1.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures look very good indeed!
Nice lens, congrats.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful work! I had the Hex 1.7/50 and this one, and this is the one I kept. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecxellent resuts very nice lens character!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such pretty spring flowers.

The last photo is the best one for me. Beautiful lighting, great sharpness and detail, and nice composition.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Is this Leica M-mount?
TIA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctures wrote:
Ecxellent resuts very nice lens character!

+1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of your shots are showing "pop" on my monitor...these are the lenses I prefer to help me achieve this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenoates wrote:
Nice! Is this Leica M-mount?
TIA

Nope, this is regular Konica AR mount. Either I am extremely lucky with 50/1.4 lenses, or they are indeed the sweet spot of the 50's. Check out here my Canon FD 50/1.4 samples. http://forum.mflenses.com/hexanon-50mm-f1-4-or-f1-7-t48185,start,15.html#1217211 Same pop.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is 40 € a fair price for this lense (I think it is).

I hesitate to buy one of the following 50mm f1.4 lenses :

- this Hexanon (Konica mount)
- or the Pentax Takumar SMC (bids will end in 7 days but price is 30 € for now)
- or the Fujinon (M42 mount - +/- 150 € )

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me put it that way: I've got it cheaper, but I had to repair it. I would never sell it for 40 Euros. The lens is much better than that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 euros is a great price for this lens, it usually fetches more than that, it's a great lens, I wouldn't hesitate to take it for 40eu.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
which Hexanon 50 is the best
hehe all the best , congrats!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Quote:
which Hexanon 50 is the best
hehe all the best , congrats!!

Thanks! Yeah, so true, "best" is not defined.

Anyway, out of curiosity I did a shootout between this Hexanon 50/1.4, Hexanon 50/1.7 and Canon FDn 50/1.2. You know, paper clippings, boring stuff, but shows sharpness and contrast well. The results surprised me.

Canon won, it's significantly sharper in the corners at large apertures. However, this was expected, Canon FD 50/1.4 and 1.2 are really hard to beat for resolution and contrast across the frame. What baffles me is that this lens came last, beaten by 50/1.7 Hexanon as well. However, I can't get 50/1.4 Hexanon off my camera, it just makes any dull northern day look like spring: nice punchy, yet natural rendering, the images that pop. Hexanon 50/1.7 never felt anything like that to me, good sharp lens, but it never felt special. I guess this just shows how limited is the value of lens tests.

More pics with 50/1.4 Hexanon.

Last edited by fermy on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot mine often on my FT1 and I think it might be a slightly better performer on film.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...well I can add my small test for resolution at 100 yards....there wasn't much difference between Canon FDn 50mm f1.4 and Hexanon 50mm f1.7.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I shot at 3m
2) The differences were only at large apertures, by f4 they were pretty much gone
3) The difference in the corners were quite obvious at 100% view.

I am not sure if any of this matters photographically. I suppose I can come up with scenario where corners at f1.4-f2 would matter, but in practice it's not very often. The bottom line here is that in actual usage the lens that loses on test charts feels superior to me (not compared to FD, but compared to f1.7 Hexanon).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
1) I shot at 3m
2) The differences were only at large apertures, by f4 they were pretty much gone
3) The difference in the corners were quite obvious at 100% view.

I am not sure if any of this matters photographically. I suppose I can come up with scenario where corners at f1.4-f2 would matter, but in practice it's not very often. The bottom line here is that in actual usage the lens that loses on test charts feels superior to me (not compared to FD, but compared to f1.7 Hexanon).

Well I find comparing lenses interesting, but I remember in the 1960s the same discussions and I'm sure it will continue into the future. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just received my copy today. Lens is in very good shape but... there are some fungus. That's the only flaw I can see for now.
If that's not visible @f8, I think I can live with it.
Beside that, great bargain for 40 €.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I too got one saturday and waiting for the film to be used up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy is rather soft @f1.4 but gets better @f2.0

f1.4

f2.0

f2.8

f4.0

I'll compare it to my Nikkor 50mm 1.8 Ai some day.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost2501 wrote:

I'll compare it to my Nikkor 50mm 1.8 Ai some day.

That would be very useful Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can fungus be responsible for softness wide open ?

I hesitate to dismount it for cleaning (7 elements in 6 groups).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. 50/1.4 is not difficult to dismantle from the rear.