Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Enlarging Ektars
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Kodak Enlarging Ektars Reply with quote

A couple of these beautiful 1950s Enlarging Ektars found their way to me, a 4.5/75 and a 4.5/105. These things ooze quality, they are incredibly heavy for their size, solid chromed brass, both are coated with L in circle symbol and nice clean glass.

I tried the 75mm first, I stuck it on a set of bellows on my NEX-3. It wouldn't focus to infinity but I tried a few close-ups, all wide open. The lens renders beautifully, sharp and well corrected for CA and with a terriffic smoothness. It's a 5 element Heliar/Dynar type, as is the 100mm. No PP on these shots, just resize for web.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my. I like the OOF area. Pics of the lenses?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad Smile They work better as taking lenses than I expected.
Reminds me a lot to Rodenstock Trinar 75/4.5, which is a triplett though

Last edited by ForenSeil on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great result! Mine are much larger ones, unfortunately. But there's nothing to sneeze at with these. *Maybe* they are optimized for closer focus than their regular counterparts. I would think so. But they are so satisfying to use, and your pics show it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:

Quote:
It's a 5 element Heliar/Dynar type, as is the 100mm.

Ian, per Kingslake the only two Heliar type Enlarging Ektars are the 50/4.5 and the 75/4.5. The only other heliar type Ektars are the 63/8 Microfile Ektar, the 100/3.5 Ektar fitted to Kodak Medalists, and the 105/3.7 Ektar sold for use on 2x3 press cameras. The two heliar type Enlarging Ektars perform well oriented normally (not reversed) as taking lenses at high magnifications.

I've never been sure of the 100/4.5 Ektar's design type. According to Brian Wallen's site (data compiled from EKCo literature) it is a dialyte. See http://www.bnphoto.org/bnphoto/KodakEktarsDB6-Enlg.htm

If you have a 100/4.5 Enlarging Ektar, please count reflections and tell us what you found. If dialyte, four strong and no weak reflections from each cell. If heliar, four strong and one weak reflections from one cell, two strong and one weak from the other.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words guys, I do enjoy using odd lenses on bellows. This 75mm one has a small screw thread and is a pretty tiny item so I mounted it onto the M39 bellows using a generous amount of blu-tak. Smile

I'll snap some pics of the lenses tomorrow.

Thanks for the data Dan. Looking at the lens as a whole, it looks like a dialyte to me, 8 reflections in total, four in the front, four in the back. They are all pretty much the same brightness, which is how my Schneider C-Claron 4.5/135 Dialyte looks too. I knew the 4.5/75 was a Heliar, I just assumed the 4.5/100 was too. Oh well, so much for assumptions...

The thread on the 100mm happens to be 40mm in diameter, but it's an imperial thread pitch. The front of the Polaroid MP-4 #1 shutter I have is 40x0.75mm (if memory serves me correctly) so I tried to screw the Ektar into the shutter. It actually screws in a little, just far enough to hold very firmly so to my delight, without any need of ersatz solutions to front mounting such as blu-tak, I can shoot this lens on my Century Graphic. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a whole box of these I got from a friend long time ago, many different focal lengths, but would assume
they are dialytes/heliar type estimated from reflections, came from a PRO printer that closed doors a while ago.
Unfortunately the threads are non-metric and you know how lost we poor Europeans are about that... har.

Nice shots, shows indeed how great that was what KODAK has developed back then.

P.S.: Even better are the Printing Ektars, I also have. Heavy and fantastic glass and excellent results!
Here some examples (link as I don't want to hijack this thread):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157627960653158/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Kodak_lenses

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen, I refer you to Kodak themselves:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nesster/sets/72157626888768850/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice documantation Jussi! Shocked Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Jussi. This is the page with the info:

The 3 inch and 4 inch Ektars are what I have, just mine are Kodak UK so they are marked 75 and 100mm. They look identical to the pictures in the brochure though. Handily Kodak show the prescriptions and the 4 inch is indeed a dialyte.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to denigrage Nesster's efforts, but Brian Wallen did the same and more years ago. I've always found navigating on his site difficult, but it is well worth exploring. See http://www.bnphoto.org/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that; I see my 7 1/2" in there. I have used it as a taking lens for 6x9.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 108mm f/4.5 Color Printing Ektar that imparts that same "smooth look". I got it from Surplus Shed, I think for about $10 but now I see they are $19. They are a very basic-looking lens, threaded M39.5 on outside barrel. Here is the link:

http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/l3697.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great discussion, thanks for all the input guys.

Luis, can you check your 7.5 Ektanon and see whether the reflections say Tessar or Dialyte. A local shop has one for 10ukp and I've ummed and ahhed about it, would need to hang it in front of a shutter I think as I doubt the cells go in a shutter easily. I know the Kodak manual says Tessar but I've read reports that swear it is a dialyte and a mightily sharp one at that. Do you have any 6x9 image samples you could post?

Ray, many thanks for that link, all the times I've searched the shed for goodies and I've never found that Ektar. Sad

They have a UK agent now so I think I will buy one of those Ektars. I can hang it in front of my apertureless #1 Copal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

There may have been more than one version.
Mine is certainly a Tessar, I have had it apart.

Middle series on this thread has some with the Ektanon.

http://forum.mflenses.com/rb-graflex-slr-with-elgeet-10-t35438,highlight,%2Bgraflex.html

I have had various problems with registration and film flatness on the Graflex, so the lens may not be all that relevant to what I managed to get.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ektar 100mm on the Century Graphic. It screws far enough into the front of the #1 to be secure which is a stroke of good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Hi Ian,

There may have been more than one version.
Mine is certainly a Tessar, I have had it apart.

Middle series on this thread has some with the Ektanon.

http://forum.mflenses.com/rb-graflex-slr-with-elgeet-10-t35438,highlight,%2Bgraflex.html

I have had various problems with registration and film flatness on the Graflex, so the lens may not be all that relevant to what I managed to get.

Cheers Luis, I missed your post when I made my prior one.

Seems to me the person who was sure it was a dialyte was wrong.

I really like your work with the Graflex, don't know how I managed to miss it.

This image is really special imho, has a buddhist feel:

I shot 6 sheets of Konica Minolta SR x-ray film with the Ektar 100 today and just developed them. To my dismay, they came out blank. Not sure why, I only used this film once before, developed it in ro9 and it worked fine, this time I used Microdol-X and nada so I will have to repeat the test tomorrow with Industrex MX125.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone outbid me the other day on ebay for one of these, a 75mm if I remember correctly. Bugger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are pretty common so keep looking, pretty cheap too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several days of endless rain I managed to try the Ektar 100mm very briefly today on my Century Graphic.

This was at f16, looks like it shoots pretty well to me, compares very well in sharpness to my Xenar 3.5/105.

Now I've proved it works on 6x9 I'll make some more meaningful shots with it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of more meaningful shots. First is wide open, second is f16. Lens is impressively sharp, deserves to be shot with some better film than this Kodak x-ray stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-read this thread with a great interest. Such a pitty that many images are gone. I own a UK 50mm Enlarging Ektar without aperture blades. Very small, I'd say tiny, barely a small metal cylinder with a copper circle inside making the aperture fixed to f4.5. Need to try an adaptation before testing it. And wonder if I may remove the inside circle to experiment with open aperture, I guess, it is around f2.8.

There are moments when you find virtually no good deal with Ektars on ebay, as they are rated at around 70-100 $/eur. But now is a favourable moment. I see now a 50mm Ektar at 16$, though a postage from US annihilates it to me. There anoter Ektar 53mm, twice as more, still affordable, and looking more exotic. Back again transatlantic postage. And aside Heliar-type, another nice looking 125mm one at 22$ gives envy. I'd say it's a moment for US dwellers to catch a good opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As is so often the case after seeing something written about an uncommon lens, I've just picked up an Ektar 75/4.5. Looks like it will be worth cleaning up and giving it a go before I sell it Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't tried this lens, so I thought I'd take a closer look at it today. It has a 30mm thread, but I do not know how to identify the thread pitch. Would anyone know the thread pitch for this lens or could help me to work out what it is?