Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-9 85mm f2 M42 - Yellow Tinge
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Jupiter-9 85mm f2 M42 - Yellow Tinge Reply with quote

I've just picked up a Jupiter-9 85mm f2 M42 lens, serial number starts N73.... The lens has a slight yellow tinge to it which gives a quite distinct colour shift to the images.

I wondered :
- Is this is typical of the lens?
- How should I deal with this?

Should I fit a coloured filter permanently to the lens, manually adjust the colour balance at the time of shooting (I have a WhiBal card) or adjust the colour post-process?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Jupiter lens Reply with quote

I had an L39 one made in the 1970s that gave distinctly "warm" images on colour slides - it almost made Kodachrome 25 look like Agfa CT18 at times (some folks will remember those films!) But I had another slightly newer M42 one that had nowhere near the same effect, suggesting that something changed over time either in the glass or the coating.

If you find it objectionable, I think you could use an appropriate colour correction filter for film or digital, or perhaps try altering the colour temperature setting in the digital camera. But I think the colour is really part of the lens's character - possibly one to keep for black and white images?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine took a month under UV to cure. I am under the impression that it is caused by the glue between elements rather than thorium in the glass. If you shoot RAW it is very easy to correct - mine required a reduction of about 2500K.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jupiter-9 85mm f2 M42 - Yellow Tinge Reply with quote

FreddyFrog wrote:
I've just picked up a Jupiter-9 85mm f2 M42 lens, serial number starts N73.... The lens has a slight yellow tinge to it which gives a quite distinct colour shift to the images.

I wondered :
- Is this is typical of the lens?
- How should I deal with this?

Should I fit a coloured filter permanently to the lens, manually adjust the colour balance at the time of shooting (I have a WhiBal card) or adjust the colour post-process?

Welcome !
I had a couple of one I don't remember any similar problem.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Mine took a month under UV to cure. I am under the impression that it is caused by the glue between elements rather than thorium in the glass. If you shoot RAW it is very easy to correct - mine required a reduction of about 2500K.

patrickh

Does the UV process helped a bit? Or has it the same yellowing?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are J-9s with different coatings. Some of them add a slight yellow cast. That is normal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UV process seemed to get rid of most of it. Still do not fully understand what caused it in the first place though. Now I am doing the same ting with a Tak 50/1.4 but that is a well known thorium issue.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Patrickh said.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optical glue can get yellow due to its age. Jupiter consists of 2 cemented triplets, so threre is 2-3 more glass-glue transitions, than on majority of contemporary lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:

patrickh

And how did you exactly perform the test? Simply remove the caps and Turn on the UV for a month? And what is the best distance for UV lamp from the lens?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one black body with N83xxxxx, it's clean and look not MC (?) version and, of course, no yellow tinge.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the lens on a stand in the bottom of a small waste can. Then I mounted a lamp on the top with aluminium foil to stop leakage. Distance was maybe 9 inches (not enough to heat the lens). Seemed to work. Alternative is to put it on a sunny windowsill and just wait.

patrickh