Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-11A 4/135
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Jupiter-11A 4/135 Reply with quote

Just cleaned lenses of my new full metal & glass toy - soap and hot water again ! It smell deeply that good old grease - the one used on heavy farmer machines (who said russian people are crude ?).

I think this lens is not quite common (it's a Jupiter-11A, not 11) on Fleabay there is only one past auction for it.

What a lens ! With a big metal lens hood that you have to remove from its storage position each time you want to use the lens as it covers both the aperture and focus rings. Contructed in 3 parts with double helico?d so when you adjust the focusing ring, it extract from the bottom part and also the front part that doesn't rotate. Not to tell about the apterture blades, which are no less than 12... that you can open the way you want: there is no stop on the aperture ring.

Well, the first time I've put my eye into the tiny 350D viewfinder in my kitchen this evening, I had a shock ! It should be great performer I thought, prior to any picture downloading on my PC... already in love with bokeh, colors, sharpness...

Ok, time for a little shot, taken wide open at f4 at around 2 meters, IOS400, 1/25" :

The traditonal 100% crop :

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful picture!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely capture! This one will be good with any lens, congratulations for your family!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beautiful shot - the lens almost did not matter, but this one looks like keeper.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Jupiter-11A 4/135 Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
Just cleaned lenses of my new full metal & glass toy - soap and hot water again !

Be careful with soap. It may contain substances that might harm the coating of the glasses. Also, if not completely removed, it may became food for fungus.
Finally, be very careful with the water! Even a tiny drop inside your lens may cause a disaster, from internal haze to fungus growth.

Water and soap is good for eyeglasses but volatile alcohols (as pure as possible) are still the best to clean your glasses.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same shock as you: couldn't believe how great my first shots were last week!

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=2547&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to be very carrefull with soap and water: I don't use soap with additives such as perfumes, BHT, ... and I clean the lens with the less water I can, upside down.

I have some isopropylic alcohol but it always leaves something. I will have a try with ethanol.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vodka is pretty good - and you can drink what you don't use...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I'm with you puplet. I use that stuff on the wife's jewelery

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vodka is as far as I know, vodka is just plain water with ethanol, and a little bit of something for the better ones Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erez, lenspens leave grease on the lenses which is damn hard to remove well. I know by experience.
I still use the lenspen only this way: I put it inside a pecpad sheet, and I use it to clean the edges of the lens (after I cleaned with alcohols), where you can not reach otherwise.
If you can not remove the grease, try with Zeiss fluid or sheets, they are the only product that removed the grease for me. After the Zeiss fluid, however, you have to do a pass of Isopropyl or Ethanol, to remove the traces of the fluid.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenspens are really bad on heavy dirt but fine for everyday maintenance. I've been using them for years and have never experienced them depositing any grease.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puplet wrote:
Lenspens are really bad on heavy dirt but fine for everyday maintenance. I've been using them for years and have never experienced them depositing any grease.

Their surface is coated, slightly greasy, they call it "non-liquid cleaning compound". See:
http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/e_lens.htm

My main complaint with the tool is that it's not cleanable. OK the first times it works well, but then? After you have cleaned 3-4 fingerprint marks, the dirt (which is mostly human skin oil) remains on the pens, mixes with the non-liquid compound, and gets spread over your other lenses everytime you try to clean them.
In the end, I realized that my lenspen cleanings were leaving the lens in a worse condition than they took it at.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be more clear about my "soap and hot water" cleaning : the lenses where in bad shape, many dust, grease, the Helios-44-2 has many micro-scratchs on the fornt lens, so I had to make a good start.

Now there are very clean without any residual product.

For sure I will not clean my $300++ AF lens that way... Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another shot, this time without any post-traitement, just de-rawtized and resized with Canon DDP :

100% crop (not perfectly on the focus plane I guess) :

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No post-treatment :

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For deep cleaning of dirty lenses there is a product in the UK I have used called "Opticlean". It lays down a thin film which can bee peeled off bringing all the dirt, grease oils etc with it. A pain to do, but it leaves older lenses in as new condition with a noticeable improvement in the picture quality. When I bought it, it was 15 pounds sterling, enough for about 10 lenses or so.

You can find details at: http://www.caliope.co.uk/

The product was developed initially to clean circuit boards!

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick, a very interesting information!
I will not attempt that at my Jupiter-37s (which notoriously have easily damageable coating), but it's always useful to know that this possibility exists.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if this lens is a copy or german one or not ?

I was thinking about this : Zeiss Jena 1Q Triotar T 4/135mm...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
Does anyone know if this lens is a copy or german one or not ?

Yes, the Jupiter-11, and the subsequent Jupiter-37, are copies of the famous Sonnar 4/135 of Contarex heritage (and later also transmigrated to M42 mount)

Flor27 wrote:
I was thinking about this : Zeiss Jena 1Q Triotar T 4/135mm...

No, the Triotar is (like the name suggest) an old triplet scheme (Cooke), while Sonnar is a, sort of, grandchildren of it, being born in 1931 as an evolution of the Ernostar scheme invented by Ludwig Bertele (the same Zeiss guy who invented the Biogon), which (the Ernostar) was in turn a modification of the Cooke Triplet.

The triplet has (obviously) three glasses, while the Sonnars have at least 6 or 7.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose this lens is an own development and significantly different than Jupiter-11