Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jobo PhotoGPS 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Jobo PhotoGPS 4 Reply with quote

I thought initially of making a review, but there's not really anything to review because the object is so straighforward to use.
The only thing that I feel like saying is a question:
How could I do without it until now?
What a terrific tool for keeping track of things that you photograph around!
Really indispensable, saves time and hassles.
It tracks longitude, latitude, height; it even adds street names when possible (just imagine how useful when visiting unknown cities).
And, for what I could try so far, it is also quite decently precise.
On a usefulness scale from 1 to 10: 11 !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a test photo, that I uploaded to Flickr because from Flickr you can see the map with one click:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26917388@N00/6195492417/in/photostream

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that save you having to go through the stupidity of the Flickr / Google ( or whoever is responsible for the junk ) maps and having to trawl through a list of often unrelated places until you find the location you want ?
If it does, then it's worth every penny.

The map on Flickr used to be good, but they they updated it and went to hell in a handcart! Rolling Eyes I used to be able to locate small tracks and just click on the position and it would accurately record where the picture was taken. Not any more. Now the map shows major roads and initially suggests a location that is the nearest major town. It's crap!
But because it's an 'update' Flickr believe it's wonderful. Evil or Very Mad

I like the idea of that, as long as it's simple to use.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy, I'm not sure of what you are talking about Flickr... I'm not really into it.
For me the point is to be able to go around, take my photos, and be able to trace back a place any time later, without having to take notes (that usually get lost, unreadable, messed up).
Just a simple example, last April, when Carsten was here, we were driving on the small tracks near the banks of river Po, when, almost out of nowhere:

we casually stumbled into this great place, that I did not know of:

Luckily that day I had my car navigator, so I could record the position in there. But I don't always have it with me,
and in any case, nothing is better than recording your position while you are taking the pictures, for every picture that you take!
Without a GPS reference, I would have been totally unable to find that place again, as it was lost in the network of packed dirt floor tracks around the river banks, where there are no road signs (and nearby villages all look the same).
With this tool I'll be able to go around and enjoy taking my pictures without worry of taking notes or being afraid not to be able to find the place again!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, remember that lucky strike, Orio!

Indeed, a GPS tracker is pretty useful, as long as you don't forget to turn it on properly. Remember when I wanted to record our routes and did not activate my GPS MiniHomer? Crap! Wink

BTW, this reminds me that I recorded some tracks in London which I need to download...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Indeed, a GPS tracker is pretty useful, as long as you don't forget to turn it on properly.

No problem, PhotoGPS 4 is absent-minded-proof, it is never off, and the moment you put it in the flash shoe, it is ready to work. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely images, Orio. Amazing to find such a photogenic building by accident.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks moorish, like a mosque.