Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is sharpness function of absolute f/stop or relative f/stop?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Is sharpness function of absolute f/stop or relative f/stop? Reply with quote

I use a number of legacy, MF lenses on my micro four third cameras. As has been repeated reported by other users, all of these lenses are soft wide open.

What I'm wondering now is whether the softness is a function of the absolute f/stop or relative f/stop when these lenses are adapted on a digital camera.

Let me elaborate. I own a few 50mm/1.7 lenses (e.g., Konica Hexanon 50mm/1.7 & Pentax M 50mm/1.7). They are all soft wide open, and gain sharpness stopped down, with varying degree for each lens. Would a Konica 50mm/1.4 or Pentax M 50mm/1.4 exhibit the same degree of softness at 1.7 or would they be sharper than the 1.7s at 1.7? Since the 1.4s are considerably more expensive than 1.7s, I'm only willing to spend premium if they are sharper than the 1.7s at the same aperture.

The answer may be drawn from these lenses' respective MTF, but MTF can't explain how they would perform adapted on a micro four thirds. The softness at wide open is attributed to the fact that the lens is being used on a digital camera with a sensor size smaller than a full frame.

So I'd welcome personal experience from people who have used both 1.7s (or 1.8s) and 1.4s adapted on digital cameras and compared the sharpness.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some lenses have their max. possibilities at f/5.6, others at f/11, it depends mainly on the optical formulae (as far as I've read this) Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every lens has it's own characteristic and "sweet spot", so one should really check the MTFs to see the optimal aperture.
As a coarse guide, usually two stops after wide open is considered a likely optimal aperture.
Examples: a f/2.8 lens will have sweet spot at f/5.6
a f/1.4 lens will have the sweet spot at f/2.8
This of course is only a generic guide, every actual lens may behave differently, but usually following this guide you don't fall very far from truth.

_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addendum: with sweet spot, I mean the top performance of the lens. Which usually happens in the centre of the frame at a given f/stop.
If instead you want better uniformity across the frame, it is usually considered best to stop down one stop further from the sweet spot (which would coarsely mean three stops after wide open). This would slightly worsen the performance in the center, but usually improves performance in the corners, making the rendering of the image more consistent across the frame.
The usage of course will then dictate the choices: typically, a portrait photographer will search for the central sweet spot, while the landscape photographer will trade top performance in the center for uniformity across the frame and quality in the corners.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wondered similar -- is my S-M-C Takumar 1.4/50 @ f/4 sharper than my S-M-C Macro-Takumar 4/50 @ f/4? What about f/5.6 and f/8? Testing planned for later this Spring...

I do know my S-M-C Takumar 2.5/135 (version II) is sharper wide open than my S-M-C Takumar 3.5/135 wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
I have wondered similar -- is my S-M-C Takumar 1.4/50 @ f/4 sharper than my S-M-C Macro-Takumar 4/50 @ f/4? What about f/5.6 and f/8? Testing planned for later this Spring...

I do know my S-M-C Takumar 2.5/135 (version II) is sharper wide open than my S-M-C Takumar 3.5/135 wide open.

Of course it is unfounded to make any speculations about comparison of different lenses. I mean that a poor f/1.4 lens is surely less sharp than a good f/2.8 lens even at f/2.8 (which in theory should be around the sweet spot for the faster lens, and wide open for the slower lens).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comparing Pentax M 1.7/50 to K1.4/50 maybe these charts can help?:
http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pentax_normal.html
btw. it seems that these 'normal lenses' tested have highest resolution at f8 regardless of their maximum aperture

another test: http://www.allgeektome.com/pentax/50%27s/resolution.htm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Picture sharpness also varies with f-number. The optimal f-stop varies with the lens characteristics. For modern standard lenses having 6 or 7 elements, the sharpest image is often obtained around f/5.6–f/8, while for older standard lenses having only 4 elements (Tessar formula) stopping to f/11 will give the sharpest image. The reason the sharpness is best at medium f-numbers is that the sharpness at high f-numbers is constrained by diffraction,[6] whereas at low f-numbers limitations of the lens design known as aberrations will dominate. The larger number of elements in modern lenses allow the designer to compensate for aberrations, allowing the lens to give better pictures at lower f-numbers. Light falloff is also sensitive to f-stop. Many wide-angle lenses will show a significant light falloff (vignetting) at the edges for large apertures. To measure the actual resolution of the lens at the different f-numbers it is necessary to use a standardized measurement chart like the 1951 USAF resolution test chart."

Wikipedia -- F-stop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Is sharpness function of absolute f/stop or relative f/s Reply with quote

I don´t think there is any relativity between lens sharpness and choice of film or digital - I mean lens is same sharp on both. Am I right? Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Is sharpness function of absolute f/stop or relative f/s Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
I don´t think there is any relativity between lens sharpness and choice of film or digital - I mean lens is same sharp on both. Am I right? Smile

My understanding is there is difference between digital and film, and also depending on the size of the sensor.

I can't provide a link, but I've read many times on the internet that unlike film, which can take in light from any angle, digital sensors need incidence of light at 90'. Plus, legacy lenses built for 35mm would project more light (image) than necessary for non-full frame sensors, such as APS-C or micro four thirds. Hence, the excess light through the glass would bounce inside the barrel & body and create the extra softness that you wouldn't witness if these lenses were used on 35mm film cameras.

Somebody correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the technical term for this: Lenses for a larger format are less sharp when adapted to a smaller format...at least that's how I understand it. A 645 lens doesn't need to be as sharp as an APS lens, so the 645 lens will be softer on the crop camera, for example.

As for the M 50s against each other, I'll happily take the smaller, cheaper 1.7 version. It's very good wide open, at least on an APS-C camera. Maybe they're not as good on the smaller 4/3 format Confused That I don't know...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Is sharpness function of absolute f/stop or relative f/s Reply with quote

New Daddy wrote:
unlike film, which can take in light from any angle, digital sensors need incidence of light at 90'. Plus, legacy lenses built for 35mm would project more light (image) than necessary for non-full frame sensors, such as APS-C or micro four thirds. Hence, the excess light through the glass would bounce inside the barrel & body and create the extra softness that you wouldn't witness if these lenses were used on 35mm film cameras.

Somebody correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

Digital sensors don't need exactly perpendicular rays, but telecentricity (that's what it's called) does help with getting a sharp image. This is mainly important for lenses with a small register distance (MFT/micro 4/3's) and should not be an issue for FF lenses used on a MFT camera, simply because the register distance is large enough for the image rays to be not very oblique.

I don't think if reflections of the too large image circle would cause a problem with sharpness -- at most it will reduce global contrast. I use a Mamiya 645 lens on my Canon 5D and the sharpness is mind blowing; contrast is a bit on the low side.

To my understanding, the main cause for unsharpness with MFT camera's is simply the magnification of abberations. Smaller sensors with smaller pixels need higher resolution lenses.