Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

is it possible to do landscape with 50mm FL on APS-c
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are good ideas, I particularly like the idea of a fibonacci overlay as I use the fibonacci in my compositions pretty often, like this picture of a nearby waterfall. So I'd definitely find it useful to be able to select various overlays to aid in composition.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
I think it isn't really necessary. The rule if thirds and Fibonaci is simple enough to get it right without aids. An algorithm deciding your composition would severely limit your creativity. If necessary you can recompose in post.

The algorithm doesn't decide; it only identifies compositional elements in the frame. Framing is the photographer's decision. However you are correct. I'd use it for a while just to learn how it sees, then turn it off, after having learned to see that way myself. Smile

Also add ability to provide your own pattern for AI to recognize...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This image has been staring at me all night from my Flickr tab. It is an example of a very good 28mm lens (albeit an expensive one)

Obsolete relic of the days long gone by Dejan Dodić, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look good. What is it?

Here's one I shot today with a very cheap but surprisingly good 28mm, albeit on m43 where it ceases to be wide.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT PHOTOGRAPHER'S QUOTES ON COMPOSITION

“Now, to consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravity before going for a walk.”
Edward Weston

“When subject matter is forced to fit into preconceived patterns, there can be no freshness of vision. Following rules of composition can only lead to a tedious repetition of pictorial cliches.”
Edward Weston

"Good composition is merely the strongest way of seeing.”
Edward Weston

"I usually have an immediate recognition of the potential image, and I have found that too much concern about matters such as conventional composition may take the edge off the first inclusive reaction".
Ansel Adams

“This recognition, in real life, of a rhythm of surfaces, lines, and values is for me the essence of photography; composition should be a constant of preoccupation, being a simultaneous coalition – an organic coordination of visual elements.”
Henri Cartier Bresson

“Your eye must see a composition or an expression that life itself offers you, and you must know with intuition when to click the camera.”
Henri Cartier Bresson

"My theory of composition? Simple: do not release the shutter until everything in the viewfinder feels just right."
Ernst Haas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward Weston's work is another good place to find the Rule of Thirds and the Golden Ratio in use:

Although Ansel Adams once said “The so-called rules of photographic composition are, in my opinion, invalid, irrelevant and immaterial.” his work shows that he also followed them in most of his compositions:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Ernst Haas, his work might, at first glance, appear to break the rules, but in fact, once you understand what you're actually looking at, it becomes obvious that he very rarely deviated from the Rule of Thirds and in fact, his compositions frequently make use of very strong vertical or horizontal features placed along the thirds - textbook use of the rule.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
That does look good. What is it?

SMC Pentax 28mm F2 https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-28mm-F2-Lens.html nicknamed Hollywood.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the original topic of which lens to use for landscape photography, I believe that pretty much any lens has its uses. The point I'd like to make is why a photographer like Henri Cartier Bresson purposely limited himself to using a 50mm lens for virtually every shot he took. It is important to say that this kind of self-limitation is not very common among most amateur or professional photographers.

Using just one focal length for a lifetime has its advantages. The photographer's eyes and brain are trained to instantly predict what the final photograph will be. Bresson's ability to adjust the speed and aperture (and perhaps even focus) of his Leica while it was still in his pocket was legendary. At the "decisive moment", he would pull his camera out of his pocket and snap the photo instantly without thinking.

The standardization of a work instrument is a very efficient means for better results. This explains, for example, why basketball, football, tennis, golf, etc. balls have standardized sizes and weights. For Cartier Bresson, his camera was just a working tool and, for him, the "standardization" of the focal length was very important.

Another justification for Cartier Bresson always using a 50mm lens is that he considered his camera as an extention of his eyes. As is well known, the 50mm lens is the one that best emulates the human vision. That's why SLR camera manufacturers worked so hard to achieve 1:1 viewfinder magnification when using a 50mm lens.

That said, I don't think all photographers need to adopt the same artistic attitude as Cartier Bresson. There's nothing wrong with a photographer using lenses of varying focal lengths. However, in the case of the OP, my opinion based on the photo he presented was, and still remains the same, that his priority at that point should be developping a better understanding of composition, not to acquire a wide-angle lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/cameras-vs-human-eye.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
As is well known, the 50mm lens is the one that best emulates the human vision.

In my case 35mm is closer to my normal vision; I wear strong prescription spectacles (about -6 diopters) which naturally gives me a modest wide-angle field of view. You get used to that after many years, and to me a 50mm lens' field of view feels a bit narrower than my normal field of view. Perhaps that is why I rarely carry a 50mm but almost always a 35mm (plus some wider ones).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50mm also isn't a 'normal' FOV either, for 35mm that would be 43.2mm which is the diagonal measurement of the frame. The rule of thumb being that the diagonal is equal to the normal FOV.

For APS-C, it's 28.8mm and for M4/3 it's 22mm.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On canon Apsc 50mm is cropped anyway so 35 mm is more standard length. 50 mm on apsc is a light tele lens not as much tele like the 135mm ones or higher.
The 18mm of the kitzoom is a wide angle length that much is clear.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is worth a read when it comes to landscape photography, focal length, perspective:

https://petapixel.com/2021/03/24/a-50mm-lens-is-all-you-really-need-in-landscape-photography/

Basically, stitching three 50mm shots, where the camera is rotated left and right, gives different look to a single shot with a 24mm ultrawide angle lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all situations are easy to stitch and fast changing light conditions are also a challenge.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
This is worth a read when it comes to landscape photography, focal length, perspective:

https://petapixel.com/2021/03/24/a-50mm-lens-is-all-you-really-need-in-landscape-photography/

Basically, stitching three 50mm shots, where the camera is rotated left and right, gives different look to a single shot with a 24mm ultrawide angle lens.

This would give a somewhat similar perspective to what you get with the motorised rotating lens/film gate panoramic cameras of yesteryear. There are many practical issues with the stitching process though (moving subjects, discrete changes in keystoning between the adjacent shots, etc.)

In those situations where that different perspective/look rather than increased resolution is the primary objective, there is a much easier way to achieve this: one single extreme wideangle image taken with a fisheye lens, and then a quick one-step process through the FishEye-Hemi utility in PP (this plug-in remaps the projection to have straight verticals):

Bath Cathedral with Minolta MD ROKKOR FISHEYE 16mm/2.8, processed through FishEye-Hemi:

And the original shot:

Note that there is some inevitable loss of the corners and edges compared to the original, but it is marginal. It also does a great job of fixing the usual unflattering stretched-people look you get towards the edges of the frame with fisheye lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best landscape lens on any camera is the one you have with you when you see a shot. This was a Helios 44M (58/2) on a Sony A3000 APS-C

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that image, can't knock the good old Helios. It also happens to follow the rule of thirds, which is one reason why it appeals to my eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashinon ds 50mm stitched.

@skida nice picture. Looks great

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many here have stated you can take great pictures with almost any focal lenght. A 50mm on APS-C works well but introduces some limitation. Limitation can really boost your creativity! But I would still recommend to throw some "extreme" focal lengths in your bag from time to time.

To me the most important thing is to choose your focal length with intent. Do i want a broad expansive look, lots of foreground, the most natural perspective, a compressed and tight feel, etc?

When it comes to composition my approach is often the excact opposite. Once the lens is on it stays on for a while, pan around, move positions until the image in your viewfinder "feels" right. One tip for finding some balance would be to squint your eyes (or defocus the lens) until you only see shapes, colors and luminosity areas. The eye can often get too concentrated on details or the main subject, especially when trying to compose an image for a long time.

You can always resort to conventional rules such as rule of thirds if you are not happy with the picture you took. And maybe we should all remember from time to time that photography is an art and thus extremely subjective. Most of us won't sell many prints in our lifetime. So take those pictures that YOU want to hang in your living room, and not those that us internet strangers rant about.

Here is an example of three very different photos, taken from almost the same position. The first one was with a 17mm and a more conventional framing, clear fore and background and a subject (the fence)

The second one was taken at 200mm and slightly cropped. It is much more flat, abstract and simple.

And the third one (taken a bit later in the day) throws most "rules" out of the window. Multiple conflicting subjects, no clear lines, very flat with not much depth etc. And still I think it is very interesting since it shows a perspective that our eyes rarely ever experience.

Edit: Yes i know, the sensor was very dirty hahaha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:

Very good article indeed. Like 1 small
Today in the digital world it is so easy to take a panoramic photo... In the film age, you needed a special camera with a rotating lens/drum. Widelux was perhaps the most popular panoramic camera, but there was also the Russian Horizon and even medium format cameras like Noblex, Holga, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald you might think its easy. Well i would agree if you say easier. Very quick change of lightning conditions or waves , flying birds etc. That wont go well with stitching. And these elements are part of landscapes too. Indeed in the color panorama picture i had a small swarm of some birds in the source images but in the stitched image there arent there anymore. And why? 'Cause the application decided to use another image as reference.for that part.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is three frames stitched together, shot with a 23mm lens on M43, which equates to a 46mm lens of 35mm FF.

There was another sheep in the centre forground, but after stitching, only half of that sheep was still visible. Therefore I simply used the clone stamp tool in photoshop to remove it.

As for it being easy, well, Gerald talks a lot of rubbish and this is no exception. It is easier than it used to be, but there are still a lot of factors to take into account. Gerald would know this if he actually shot some panoramas himself, but no, he is just a troll and far too cowardly to ever post any of his own pictures, so unless he proves otherwise we can assume he hasn't shot any panoramas and therefore, as per usual hasn't got much of a clue what he is talking about.

From the other end of the lens width spectrum and shot the same day is this one, I used a 9.7mm projector lens and it's five images stitched together.

Same lens a couple of days earlier, this one was four frames stitched together:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue, Marius and Ian: Some great examples of different lenses on a digital censor. I am glad I came back here when I read and see such fascinating info and pictures.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are masochists! Wink

I'll stick with the fish eye lens...